Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently going through my UCAS application and need to write a personal statement, but I'm not sure how to make it stand out from the crowd.

I'm applying for sociology and criminology (combined) and don't know a good way to tailor my personal statement to the course.

HELP!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shannonpengelly8)
    I'm currently going through my UCAS application and need to write a personal statement, but I'm not sure how to make it stand out from the crowd.

I'm applying for sociology and criminology (combined) and don't know a good way to tailor my personal statement to the course.

HELP!
    if you want to stand out from the crowd just make sure to say "ever since i was young i wanted to study criminology" then proceed to talk about your bronze DofE and your time management skills.

ReputationRep:
    What I did was make a list of all the skills needed for my course (e.g. Perseverance, time management, logic), then I put any experience/ wider reading and extra curricular under those skills, and focused my personal statement on trying to show me as a person it really helped because I was initially stuck as well I believe that there's also a personal statement section on TSR so some personal statements there might give you an idea also avoid using cliches such as 'always', 'passionate' and 'fascinated' as they're more vague and overused

ReputationRep:
    In mine I mentioned absoloutely 0 about my A-levels, and just wrote about my love of history + relevant supercurriculars (was very tempted to not write about extracurriculars but wrote a bit lol). So I guess you could do that it would make you stand out but your school may not allow it
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Check out all the advice in my signature below - it provides excellent guidance on how to write a PS

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.