shannonpengelly8
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm currently going through my UCAS application and need to write a personal statement, but I'm not sure how to make it stand out from the crowd.

I'm applying for sociology and criminology (combined) and don't know a good way to tailor my personal statement to the course.

HELP!
orahillyf
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by shannonpengelly8)
I'm currently going through my UCAS application and need to write a personal statement, but I'm not sure how to make it stand out from the crowd.

I'm applying for sociology and criminology (combined) and don't know a good way to tailor my personal statement to the course.

HELP!
if you want to stand out from the crowd just make sure to say "ever since i was young i wanted to study criminology" then proceed to talk about your bronze DofE and your time management skills.
Loralite
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What I did was make a list of all the skills needed for my course (e.g. Perseverance, time management, logic), then I put any experience/ wider reading and extra curricular under those skills, and focused my personal statement on trying to show me as a person it really helped because I was initially stuck as well I believe that there's also a personal statement section on TSR so some personal statements there might give you an idea also avoid using cliches such as 'always', 'passionate' and 'fascinated' as they're more vague and overused
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In mine I mentioned absoloutely 0 about my A-levels, and just wrote about my love of history + relevant supercurriculars (was very tempted to not write about extracurriculars but wrote a bit lol). So I guess you could do that it would make you stand out but your school may not allow it
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Check out all the advice in my signature below - it provides excellent guidance on how to write a PS
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (43)
29.25%
No (104)
70.75%

Watched Threads