The Student Room Group

Can't get a test

I failed another driving test today, which isn't the best but I guess it happens. However I now can't book another test before the 4th of December, meaning i'll be taking the new test with different manoeuvres and more independent driving.

Does anyone know of any websites or cool tips to get a cancellation asap? I was so close to passing today that I just don't want to hang around until the test gets harder!

Scroll to see replies

Just have to wait and see if someone cancels.
Original post by Anonymous
I failed another driving test today, which isn't the best but I guess it happens. However I now can't book another test before the 4th of December, meaning i'll be taking the new test with different manoeuvres and more independent driving.

Does anyone know of any websites or cool tips to get a cancellation asap? I was so close to passing today that I just don't want to hang around until the test gets harder!

Hi there!

This thread should be in the Learning to drive forum. I'll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there :smile:
Reply 3

Constantly check the booking website as people cancel and therefore empty spaces are found if you’re lucky
Reply 4
I had a app that notified me when someone cancelled a test I paid around £20 app it done its job but I forgot what it was called search the apple App Store and look at reviews I'm sure u will find a good one
Reply 5

What do you mean harder? How is it harder? It's now more representative of real world driving.

Different manoeuvres? They've only removed some!
Original post by IWMTom
What do you mean harder? How is it harder? It's now more representative of real world driving.

Different manoeuvres? They've only removed some!

Tbh, I don't see why they removed "turn in the road" and the "reversing around a corner" - I still use these manoeuvres on a day-to-day drive.
Reply 7
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Tbh, I don't see why they removed "turn in the road" and the "reversing around a corner" - I still use these manoeuvres on a day-to-day drive.

I reverse around a corner once in a blue moon, only ever in my mates weird housing estate because it's easier than a turn in the road :')

I think they realised that people were getting lucky and not having to do a parallel park, then they came to passing their test and ended up like this: https://www.facebook.com/uniladmag/videos/3430114320344936/

I know this makes people think the test is harder, but in reality, there was every chance these manoeuvres could have been picked in the old system too - everyone should be able to do them anyway!
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom
I reverse around a corner once in a blue moon, only ever in my mates weird housing estate because it's easier than a turn in the road :':wink:

I think they realised that people were getting lucky and not having to do a parallel park, then they came to passing their test and ended up like this: https://www.facebook.com/uniladmag/videos/3430114320344936/

I know this makes people think the test is harder, but in reality, there was every chance these manoeuvres could have been picked in the old system too - everyone should be able to do them anyway!

You're forgetting the new manoeuvre!

Reverse in a straight line for 2 car lengths.
Reply 9
Original post by Juno

I'd imagine everyone will fail, now! It's a Government conspiracy to stop new drivers getting their licence! :colondollar:
Original post by Juno

Tbf, there is now pull over on the right in a two-way road, which is quite difficult.
Reply 11
Original post by anonasian
Tbf, there is now pull over on the right in a two-way road, which is quite difficult.

How is it? It is no harder than a right turn.
Original post by Juno
How is it? It is no harder than a right turn.

Ik it’s not that bad but it’s harder than right turns, you have to be looking for cars coming towards you, behind you and especially when you pull back out, you have to be able to come out efficiently enough that you don’t hold traffic up for ages
Reply 13
Original post by anonasian

That's nothing new; I did that in my test in March 2016...

Visit you local driving test centre and just ask them if they have any cancellations or free slots when they can fit you in. You might have to wait in the waiting room a while but be prepared just to go ahead and do it if they say they can give you a test. Good luck.
Reply 15
Original post by Ambitious1999
Visit you local driving test centre and just ask them if they have any cancellations or free slots when they can fit you in. You might have to wait in the waiting room a while but be prepared just to go ahead and do it if they say they can give you a test. Good luck.

That's not really how it works - at least, I don't believe so. As far as I know, a test must be booked so there is a test reference number.

Cancellations are found online, not in the test centre.
Original post by IWMTom
That's not really how it works - at least, I don't believe so. As far as I know, a test must be booked so there is a test reference number.

Cancellations are found online, not in the test centre.

Not sure why a test reference number is important, you just take the test and either pass or fail.

Doing anything online erases any discretion and ability to chat to a real human. At the test centre they will have a list of tests and any available slots. If they have a free slot and you have a cheque why would they refuse your money after all DSA is a revenue earning service and if they get paid for a slot that’s vacant everyone is a winner.
Reply 17
Not sure why a test reference number is important, you just take the test and either pass or fail.

Doing anything online erases any discretion and ability to chat to a real human. At the test centre they will have a list of tests and any available slots. If they have a free slot and you have a cheque why would they refuse your money after all DSA is a revenue earning service and if they get paid for a slot that’s vacant everyone is a winner.

This simply isn't how the system works. A test must be pre-booked, so the result can be recorded.

Test centres don't generally have anywhere where you can speak to someone about booking a test, and they certainly don't have the ability to take payments.
Reply 18

But there isn't anybody to chat to. Test centres don't have spare staff or receptionists, and the examiners are busy with their booked appointments.
Reply 19
https://www.shortnoticetests.com/

Sites like this will constantly monitor availability slots and book it in for you. You pay them a relatively small fee.

Quick Reply

Latest