The Student Room Group

Messed up immune system - how can I improve it?

I constantly get ill. I think this is the 8th time since the beginning of summer. I haven't even fully recovered from my last cold/flu yet. I was really ill for two weeks, then most symptoms disappeared but I was left with a pretty bad cough. It's been over 4 weeks now. And I still have it, it just won't go away. That's not the worst part, though,because I'm getting ill again, I can just tell; my throat is super sore, and I have that familiar ache in all my bones and muscles.
Any tips/advice?
Become immune to the immune system.
focus on basic stuff like sleep and diet, and go to your doctor!
Reply 3
Original post by Dragon5555
Become immune to the immune system.

Thanks, I'm totally better now <3
Reply 4
stop being a twink and get down to the gym and eat well
Reply 5
Best advice would be to see a doctor.

Eat a diet high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and low in saturated fat.

Exercise regularly.

Maintain a healthy weight.

Control your blood pressure.

If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation.

Get adequate sleep.

Take steps to avoid infection, such as washing your hands frequently and cooking meats thoroughly.

Get regular medical screening tests for people in your age group and risk category.

Reply 7
Original post by crocodile_ears
focus on basic stuff like sleep and diet, and go to your doctor!

I get LOTS of sleep. My diet is kind ot healthy.
Original post by Anonsama
stop being a twink and get down to the gym and eat well

I can't stop being a twink because if I do that, then men won't find me attractive anymore : ( boo.

Original post by Wikia
Best advice would be to see a doctor.

Meh, what can they do anyway.
Original post by GovernmentEarner

Eat a diet high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and low in saturated fat.

Exercise regularly.

Maintain a healthy weight.

Control your blood pressure.

If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation.

Get adequate sleep.

Take steps to avoid infection, such as washing your hands frequently and cooking meats thoroughly.

Get regular medical screening tests for people in your age group and risk category.

That's a pretty long list, damn. But I kind of follow a few of these anyway ^ ^
i had a similar problem to you! last year i had (if i counted correctly) almost 20 colds including a few bouts of the flu - not a good year!! this included one that made me go deaf for around 3 weeks and colds on my birthday and at christmas - i took vitamin c tablets to boost my immune system and this year hasn’t been so bad, i’ve still had a few colds but they’ve been mostly minor and i’ve caught them off people in school,

do you do any sports or anything that stresses you out particularly? that could be a cause!
Reply 9
Original post by anyapoundall02
i had a similar problem to you! last year i had (if i counted correctly) almost 20 colds including a few bouts of the flu - not a good year!! this included one that made me go deaf for around 3 weeks and colds on my birthday and at christmas - i took vitamin c tablets to boost my immune system and this year hasn’t been so bad, i’ve still had a few colds but they’ve been mostly minor and i’ve caught them off people in school,

do you do any sports or anything that stresses you out particularly? that could be a cause!

Man, sounds tough, glad you're better now, though! But nope, I don't, so that's not it >.<
Original post by Ciel.
I constantly get ill. I think this is the 8th time since the beginning of summer. I haven't even fully recovered from my last cold/flu yet. I was really ill for two weeks, then most symptoms disappeared but I was left with a pretty bad cough. It's been over 4 weeks now. And I still have it, it just won't go away. That's not the worst part, though,because I'm getting ill again, I can just tell; my throat is super sore, and I have that familiar ache in all my bones and muscles.
Any tips/advice?

Probiotics are apparently the best. It seems like you're having problems with the bacteria in your gut so maybe think about taking pills, you can find them in holland and barretts. Start juicing to include a variety of veg and fruits, my favourite is pineapple, spinach, apples and strawberry.
Reply 11
Original post by GreenBell
Probiotics are apparently the best. It seems like you're having problems with the bacteria in your gut so maybe think about taking pills, you can find them in holland and barretts. Start juicing to include a variety of veg and fruits, my favourite is pineapple, spinach, apples and strawberry.

Hmm do they really work? Will defo look into this. Ah juicing is so much effort : O I'm..... too lazy. I just buy smoothies instead.
Original post by Ciel.
Hmm do they really work? Will defo look into this. Ah juicing is so much effort : O I'm..... too lazy. I just buy smoothies instead.

It has been shown to work, maybe try it and see how it goes.

And no!! Don't buy smoothies, they are basically sugar and will make you worse. I can see your problem is being lazy :couchpotato: :grin:
Reply 13
Original post by GreenBell
It has been shown to work, maybe try it and see how it goes.

And no!! Don't buy smoothies, they are basically sugar and will make you worse. I can see your problem is being lazy :couchpotato: :grin:

Innocent smoothies don't have any added sugar ^ _ ^ Ah.. yeah, kind of *nervous laugh*
Original post by Ciel.
Innocent smoothies don't have any added sugar ^ _ ^ Ah.. yeah, kind of *nervous laugh*

Innocent smoothies are really bad, they just 'seem' healthy.
Of course, stay hydrated, eat well, get lots of sleep, wash your hands well etc. That's all pretty obvious. Your cough is a little worrying since it's been hanging around for a while, I would definitely get it checked out as it could have developed into something more sinister like a chest infection rather than just a standard cold.

In terms of prevention, check you're getting all your vitamins. You can track your macros through a few different websites or apps which can be really helpful and show things that you could be missing out on. Personally, I try and make sure my iron, vitamin C, and B12 are good in particular. I always feel a lot more tired and generally more run down without them, especially B12 since it's important for the absorption of a lot of vitamins. You might need a little altering of your diet but it's worth a try.

Otherwise, definitely get your cough checked out and maybe bring up your general health while you're there. They'll be able to give much better advice than any of us can.
Tbh, I was in a similar situation as you couple of years ago. I only saw any improvement this last year. I think going to the gym and changing my lifestyle to meet the dietary needs of going to gym had something to do with it. I drink PLENTY of water (easily over 2.5 litres a day). Before, I barely drank more than 1 litre a day. What motivated me to drink water constantly was keeping a water bottle near me 24/7. Next, I had strict routine of eating at least a banana and an apple a day. I avoided fast food like the plague (but sometimes succumb to peer pressure and just eat a lil bit) and anything other than juice(basically, fizzy drinks) was a no-no. Been doing this for over a year and the results speaks for itself; I only got ill twice since mid 2016. This worked for me but may or may not work 4 u but welp, what you gotta lose?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest