Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi i'm stuck on this question and cant understand the theory behind it could someone please help me?

Question:

A pd V is applied across a resistor. Another identical resistor is then connected in
    series with it and the same pd V is applied across the combination.
    Which statement is incorrect?

A The total resistance is doubled.
    B The pd across one resistor is 2
    V .
    C The current in the resistors is halved.
    D The power dissipated in one resistor is halved.

So I get why D is the answer. But wouldn't C be incorrect as well? Becuase it says it's connected in series and current isn't shared in series.

Any help is greatly appreciated thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by assassinjeev22)
    Hi i'm stuck on this question and cant understand the theory behind it could someone please help me?

Question:

A pd V is applied across a resistor. Another identical resistor is then connected in
    series with it and the same pd V is applied across the combination.
    Which statement is incorrect?

A The total resistance is doubled.
    B The pd across one resistor is 2
    V .
    C The current in the resistors is halved.
    D The power dissipated in one resistor is halved.

So I get why D is the answer. But wouldn't C be incorrect as well? Becuase it says it's connected in series and current isn't shared in series.

Any help is greatly appreciated thank you!
    I don't thing B is correct either - if the PD across both resistors is V the PD across one of the resistors can't be 2V... have you copied the question incorrectly?

---

C is correct though - the effective resistance of the two resistors in series is the sum of their resistances. if the resistors are equal resistance the 2 in series have double the resistance of one resistor on it's own.
    If the applied PD is the same then current must be halved because I=VR. Doubling R and keeping V the same means I is halved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    I don't thing B is correct either - if the PD across both resistors is V the PD across one of the resistors can't be 2V... have you copied the question incorrectly?

---

C is correct though - the effective resistance of the two resistors in series is the sum of their resistances. if the resistors are equal resistance the 2 in series have double the resistance of one resistor on it's own.
    If the applied PD is the same then current must be halved because I=VR. Doubling R and keeping V the same means I is halved.
    Oh yeah B didnt copy correctly its meant to be V/2. Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.