Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying the new specification of the Grade 9-1 French. I am finding quite difficult to achieve good marks and I am wondering whether someone could be so kind to tell me what I must revise in order to improve.

ReputationRep:
    Also looking for a checklist-type thing for how to get high grades. I do have something which might help in the back of my french book.

For currently working at grades 7 -> 8, working towards a grade 8 or 9:
    • Use your imagination to answer the question in an interesting way e.g people always write about the weather in 'holiday' essays, try making comparisons about the food/lifestyle/culture/country/people.
    • Use a variety of structures - don't repeat words/information/phrases.
    • Include idioms
    • Use pronouns other than 'I'
    • Include longer sentences or descriptions with opinions and reasons as well as extra detail, pretty much all the time.
    • Include more a) clause types b) adjectives c) time phrases d) prepositions
    • Show you can use verbs in the a) past b) present c) future tenses with virtually no mistakes
    • Use some verbs in the imperfect and conditional to show off
    • Be able to respond spontaneously and confidently

The other sections separate the grades out into 6->8, 4/5 -> 6 and 3->5, but the wording is pretty much the same in all of them, just less detail etc. I hope this helps! I'm definitely using this checklist for writing practice.

If you need help with tenses, check your revision guide or the resources on this website.

Edit: Does anyone have a more specific checklist, like phrases to use? (if clauses, stuff like that)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starra)
    Also looking for a checklist-type thing for how to get high grades. I do have something which might help in the back of my french book.

For currently working at grades 7 -> 8, working towards a grade 8 or 9:
    • Use your imagination to answer the question in an interesting way e.g people always write about the weather in 'holiday' essays, try making comparisons about the food/lifestyle/culture/country/people.
    • Use a variety of structures - don't repeat words/information/phrases.
    • Include idioms
    • Use pronouns other than 'I'
    • Include longer sentences or descriptions with opinions and reasons as well as extra detail, pretty much all the time.
    • Include more a) clause types b) adjectives c) time phrases d) prepositions
    • Show you can use verbs in the a) past b) present c) future tenses with virtually no mistakes
    • Use some verbs in the imperfect and conditional to show off
    • Be able to respond spontaneously and confidently

The other sections separate the grades out into 6->8, 4/5 -> 6 and 3->5, but the wording is pretty much the same in all of them, just less detail etc. I hope this helps! I'm definitely using this checklist for writing practice.

If you need help with tenses, check your revision guide or the resources on this website.

Edit: Does anyone have a more specific checklist, like phrases to use? (if clauses, stuff like that)
    Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.