aarnat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am currently studying the new specification of the Grade 9-1 French. I am finding quite difficult to achieve good marks and I am wondering whether someone could be so kind to tell me what I must revise in order to improve.
Starra
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Also looking for a checklist-type thing for how to get high grades. I do have something which might help in the back of my french book.

For currently working at grades 7 -> 8, working towards a grade 8 or 9:
  • Use your imagination to answer the question in an interesting way e.g people always write about the weather in 'holiday' essays, try making comparisons about the food/lifestyle/culture/country/people.
  • Use a variety of structures - don't repeat words/information/phrases.
  • Include idioms
  • Use pronouns other than 'I'
  • Include longer sentences or descriptions with opinions and reasons as well as extra detail, pretty much all the time.
  • Include more a) clause types b) adjectives c) time phrases d) prepositions
  • Show you can use verbs in the a) past b) present c) future tenses with virtually no mistakes
  • Use some verbs in the imperfect and conditional to show off
  • Be able to respond spontaneously and confidently

The other sections separate the grades out into 6->8, 4/5 -> 6 and 3->5, but the wording is pretty much the same in all of them, just less detail etc. I hope this helps! I'm definitely using this checklist for writing practice.

If you need help with tenses, check your revision guide or the resources on this website.

Edit: Does anyone have a more specific checklist, like phrases to use? (if clauses, stuff like that)
aarnat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Starra)
Also looking for a checklist-type thing for how to get high grades. I do have something which might help in the back of my french book.

• Use your imagination to answer the question in an interesting way e.g people always write about the weather in 'holiday' essays, try making comparisons about the food/lifestyle/culture/country/people.
  • Include idioms
  • Include longer sentences or descriptions with opinions and reasons as well as extra detail, pretty much all the time.
  • Show you can use verbs in the a) past b) present c) future tenses with virtually no mistakes

The other sections separate the grades out into 6->8, 4/5 -> 6 and 3->5, but the wording is pretty much the same in all of them, just less detail etc. I hope this helps! I'm definitely using this checklist for writing practice.

If you need help with tenses, check your revision guide or the resources on this website.

Edit: Does anyone have a more specific checklist, like phrases to use? (if clauses, stuff like that)
Thank you!
Hfsassy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Starra)

• Include idioms

hi what revision guide did you use and what exam board are you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (677)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.59%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads