Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt Queen)
    No...I don't use coconut oil to style. I rarely use anything to style but sometimes I use Eco styling gel. I just use coconut oil to keep it moist and shiny and smelling good. I don't really need to use anything else tbh. Water and Jesus.
    Looks like coconut oil is the saviour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalikuku)
    Hey! I was wondering what is your haircare routine? Like washing your hair if I'm going to be specific.

I normally wash my hair with shampoo (Loreal extraordinary clay shampoo) and then I use coconut oil as a conditioner. I leave the coconut oil in depending on what I'm doing, for example shaving my legs/arms, or if I cba to do that then leave it in until I was my body. Then I pat dry my hair and comb through it whilst its damp and leave it to airdry,

My hair is pretty long (hip length) and I really don't like it tbh cause it gets dry pretty quickly. Others recommend using oil but i feel like it makes my hair look greasy.

What are your hair care routines? Also, any advice on how to make hair in general look better?

Btw I was my hair once a week because I'm hella lazy aha
    I have very short hair for a girl, but have had very very long hair in the past. I henna my hair once every 4 months mixed with an egg and a little olive oil and it's very nourishing, helps to strengthen your hair and acts as a preventive measure for split ends (but this only works if you don't have split ends). I also wash my hair with shampoo each night (have done since age 12 and no negative effects) and use conditioner twice a week and occasionally a little argan oil.

I suggest with long hair you trim an inch off every 8-10 weeks, no need to use oil on your scalp unless you're in the sun and it gets hot/damaged. Wear a hat in summer, and if you can, use and oil (olive oil will do) before your hair wash on the ends of your hair, or a hair oil twice a week on the mid-ends of your hair to stop them getting dry.

Finally, do not use heat on your hair, even try to avoid blow drying, but especially straightening or curling, it takes lots of moisture and shine out of your hair.

ReputationRep:
    Wow you really like to take care of your hair! And washing it three times in one sitting or a week?!?! You seem to know your hair very well to know what products it needs
    I've only started taking care of my hair 2 weeks ago! And my hair just looks better like I don't even know how to explain it.. it Just looks smashin' ! In one sitting

ReputationRep:
    Looks like coconut oil is the saviour
    If you're black or brown/Asian coconut oil is the common elixir 🙌

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emerald777O)
    I've only started taking care of my hair 2 weeks ago! And my hair just looks better like I don't even know how to explain it.. it Just looks smashin' ! In one sitting
    That's a lotta shampoo girrrrrrl

You going for the mixed hair wet n wavy look?

ReputationRep:
    If you're black or brown/Asian coconut oil is the common elixir 🙌
    manz got south asian genes

ReputationRep:
    That's a lotta shampoo girrrrrrl

You going for the mixed hair wet n wavy look?
    It's just 3 pumps of shampoo!! I use a lot of conditioner cos it helps to untangle knots and make my hair less frizzy.

My hair already looks like that when it's wet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zozo*)
    I have very short hair for a girl, but have had very very long hair in the past. I henna my hair once every 4 months mixed with an egg and a little olive oil and it's very nourishing, helps to strengthen your hair and acts as a preventive measure for split ends (but this only works if you don't have split ends). I also wash my hair with shampoo each night (have done since age 12 and no negative effects) and use conditioner twice a week and occasionally a little argan oil.

I suggest with long hair you trim an inch off every 8-10 weeks, no need to use oil on your scalp unless you're in the sun and it gets hot/damaged. Wear a hat in summer, and if you can, use and oil (olive oil will do) before your hair wash on the ends of your hair, or a hair oil twice a week on the mid-ends of your hair to stop them getting dry.

Finally, do not use heat on your hair, even try to avoid blow drying, but especially straightening or curling, it takes lots of moisture and shine out of your hair.
    Doesn't washing your hair everyday strip it off its natural oils? It will be harder for your hair to produce natural oils. And what kind of conditioner do you use? Does it leave your hair nice and shiny?

And yeah, heat for hair is basically frying it aha although I have to straighten my fringe aha. I generally probably straighten my hair like four times a year cause straighten long hair is a pain, and when it comes to curling, I normally use rollers or like some weird technique that makes it look curly aha. Long hair again is a mare to wrap around a curling iron

ReputationRep:
    : o Im literally sitting here with my mouth wide open. Thats great! have you changed your diet in any way aswell?
    Maybe i should start taking lessons from you aha

ReputationRep:
    manz got south asian genes
    Then soak in that coco so you can shiiine and GLOW fa' Jesus baby

ReputationRep:
    : o Im literally sitting here with my mouth wide open. Thats great! have you changed your diet in any way aswell?
    Maybe i should start taking lessons from you aha
    Lool why???
    Nope! My diet is the worst diet in the world!!

ReputationRep:
    If you really want to make your hair look better then I suggest that you start eating more healthy food, because that makes a enormous change for not only your hair but also nails. I am currently taking these hair growth formula vitamins, and the first 2 weeks I tried them everyday 2-3 times per day I my hair look very healthy and good, but then I stopped and I would be losing so much hair everyday and now I started again, as I'm not used to taking vitamins, but I definitely recommend it. Al though check out what's in them, before you take them.

ReputationRep:
    It's just 3 pumps of shampoo!! I use a lot of conditioner cos it helps to untangle knots and make my hair less frizzy.

My hair already looks like that when it's wet
    I watch YouTube natural hair care stuff and there's detangling lotion too. It's overwhelming that there's a product for everything lol

Mine too. I never needed a perm relaxer.

ReputationRep:
    Then soak in that coco so you can shiiine and GLOW fa' Jesus baby
    GIRL imma take that sweet coco and lather my hair in it. I need it to glow like my highlighter on a good day

ReputationRep:
    Lool why???
    Nope! My diet is the worst diet in the world!!
    Cause diet is a big part of making your hair look healthy aha

ReputationRep:
    I watch YouTube natural hair care stuff and there's detangling lotion too. It's overwhelming that there's a product for everything lol

Mine too. I never needed a perm relaxer.
    😂😂 that's actually so true! Idk if you know glamtwins on YouTube but they have something for everything . It clearly works for them though because they have beautiful hair !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by selz1992)
    If you really want to make your hair look better then I suggest that you start eating more healthy food, because that makes a enormous change for not only your hair but also nails. I am currently taking these hair growth formula vitamins, and the first 2 weeks I tried them everyday 2-3 times per day I my hair look very healthy and good, but then I stopped and I would be losing so much hair everyday and now I started again, as I'm not used to taking vitamins, but I definitely recommend it. Al though check out what's in them, before you take them.
    It kinda also seems like your hair has kinda gotten used to the vitamins since your hair would fall out when you would stop eating them. I don't really want my hair to rely on vitamins ALTHOUGH i know they are really good for hair growth so anyone with really fine hair, would recommend.
    And trust me, I have known for quite a while that diet is a very big part of healthy hair, however i can't leave my chocolates, they are too tempting!

ReputationRep:
    GIRL imma take that sweet coco and lather my hair in it. I need it to glow like my highlighter on a good day
    😂 I want your hair to be smoother than a baby's ass

ReputationRep:
    😂😂 that's actually so true! Idk if you know glamtwins on YouTube but they have something for everything . It clearly works for them though because they have beautiful hair !
    I'm convinced a lot of the hair youtubers had beautiful hair before they got paid to say stuff works 😝everyone's hair is different though but the only people I trust are makeup stylists because you see the change before your pretty little eyes 😍

ReputationRep:
    No conditioner?
    Don't need it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.