Turn on thread page Beta

The Current Year 9 Thread 2017-2018 watch

ReputationRep:
    Sooo after some digging, I could only find one year 9 thread, 2013-2014. Now, that was quite a while ago... those year 9's are now Year 13s (i think?) and I wanted to have one for year 9s, so I'm making one! This might become dead but let's please try and keep this one alive? And yes, I know that school has been going on for almost two months.. let's just ignore that please.

Also, please quote in any year 9s you know so we can have loads of people on here

To break the ice...
    1) Do you know what you want to study next year for GCSEs?
    2) Favourite/Least favourite subject?
    3) How are you feeling about starting year 9?

1) Yep, I'm doing (Compulsory)
    English Lit
    English Lang
    Maths
    Science (i really want to do triple so when I fail physics I can still have a Bio and Chem iGCSE hahah )
    Options:

Spanish (not really an option as we have to do a language but we can choose between French, Spanish, German, Arabic and Mandarin)
    Psychology
    Drama
    History

2) Favourite: hmmm.. Drama? Chemistry definitely... and Art
    Least Favourite: Maths. I just hate it!

3) I'm so scared for GCSEs seriously I think i'm going to fail and I really want to well i know it's so far away but I'm still scared hahah
    Apart from that I'm excited this year should be fun, I might be going to Prague for a school trip, and we do a bunch of other cool stuff as well this year!

So.. if anyone reads this please try and make it work.. haha
    Feel free to PM me I love making new friendssss xx

ReputationRep:
    As a person who does drama year 11, do it if you're male. Its full of girls of the confident type, often the popular good looking ones. I've made a few good female friends as I am one of two males in a class of 30.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Findl3y)
    As a person who does drama year 11, do it if you're male. Its full of girls of the confident type, often the popular good looking ones. I've made a few good female friends as I am one of two males in a class of 30.
    I mean I guess that's one way to look at things... haha

ReputationRep:
    What’s iGCSE?

ReputationRep:
    year 9s!
    take it from a y10, please please do not stress out. there is so much more work to come (especially if you take art!)
    just revise for topic tests/end of years and you'll be fine x

ReputationRep:
    Good luck. Can't imagine that there's many year 9s on here though, but there have been year 9 threads in the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reece.W.J)
    What’s iGCSE?
    International General Certificate of Secondary Education.

ReputationRep:
    1) Do you know what you want to study next year for GCSEs? The ones I can't do... Want to do phycology but my school doesn't have it. Want to do triple science AND comp science but I doubt I can do both (looking at the options from previous years tells me this, but it might change, although I doubt it)
    2) Favourite/Least favourite subject? Favourite subjects - Science or maths or IT (depends on what I'm doing in each subject :P) Least favourite - PE, English, RP, Geography, drama (most subjects :P) Oh and I hate PSHE, but that doesn't really count.

3) How are you feeling about starting year 9? I was fine, but my school was getting a new uniform in September with a blazer tie etc so wasn't looking forward to that.

(Original post by MollyBarber13)
    Sooo after some digging, I could only find one year 9 thread, 2013-2014. Now, that was quite a while ago... those year 9's are now Year 13s (i think?) and I wanted to have one for year 9s, so I'm making one! This might become dead but let's please try and keep this one alive? And yes, I know that school has been going on for almost two months.. let's just ignore that please.

Also, please quote in any year 9s you know so we can have loads of people on here

To break the ice...

English Lit
    English Lang
    Maths
    Science (i really want to do triple so when I fail physics I can still have a Bio and Chem iGCSE hahah )
    Options:

Spanish (not really an option as we have to do a language but we can choose between French, Spanish, German, Arabic and Mandarin)
    Psychology
    Drama
    History

3) I'm so scared for GCSEs seriously I think i'm going to fail and I really want to well i know it's so far away but I'm still scared hahah
    Apart from that I'm excited this year should be fun, I might be going to Prague for a school trip, and we do a bunch of other cool stuff as well this year!

ReputationRep:

To break the ice...

English Lit
    English Lang
    Maths
    Options:

Psychology
    Drama
    History

The only exiting trip my school does is year 8 camp... That was good though.

Have you already chosen your options, or are these just te ones you want to pick?

ReputationRep:
    awwww bless, you made a yr 9 thread, very sweet of you! From a fellow yr 10, enjoy yr 9 as much as you can!!!! Its probably one of the BEST years!!!! Revise for end of topic/year exams and don't stress too much
    All the best yr 9's! Xxxxxx
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Hello lovely year 9s!
    We (the current year 12s) had a year 9 thread...We beat the number of replies in the whole year of it by September of year 10 though :lol:
    I'm on the Support Team for Study Help so if you ever need anything then feel free to tag me in (Lemur14), especially for maths as that's my best subject

Whether you've chosen your options and are starting the GCSE content, or are yet to choose your options and want advice TSR has the resources to help you
    To get started with TSR read our Welcome to the GCSE forum post here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reece.W.J)
    What’s iGCSE?
    It's international GCSE i think... i don't know exactly if that is what it stands for but they just change some of the courses to make it culturally appropriate for other cultures/lifestyles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cc85734)
    1) Do you know what you want to study next year for GCSEs? The ones I can't do... Want to do phycology but my school doesn't have it. Want to do triple science AND comp science but I doubt I can do both (looking at the options from previous years tells me this, but it might change, although I doubt it)
    2) Favourite/Least favourite subject? Favourite subjects - Science or maths or IT (depends on what I'm doing in each subject :P) Least favourite - PE, English, RP, Geography, drama (most subjects :P) Oh and I hate PSHE, but that doesn't really count.

3) How are you feeling about starting year 9? I was fine, but my school was getting a new uniform in September with a blazer tie etc so wasn't looking forward to that.
    Wow we're complete opposites. We've always had to wear that but it's not that bad ahaha. The only thing i've noticed is Year 9 seems to be really easy, is that just me? How are your lessons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cc85734)
    The only exiting trip my school does is year 8 camp... That was good though.

Have you already chosen your options, or are these just te ones you want to pick?
    These are just what I want to take, we choose properly in February time I think. Have you any idea what you want to do, that you can actually do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.N123)
    awwww bless, you made a yr 9 thread, very sweet of you! From a fellow yr 10, enjoy yr 9 as much as you can!!!! Its probably one of the BEST years!!!! Revise for end of topic/year exams and don't stress too much
    All the best yr 9's! Xxxxxx
    haha thanks, year 9 is really really easy so I am happy with that!
    Good luck on your GCSE's xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    Hello lovely year 9s!
    We (the current year 12s) had a year 9 thread...We beat the number of replies in the whole year of it by September of year 10 though :lol:
    I'm on the Support Team for Study Help so if you ever need anything then feel free to tag me in (Lemur14), especially for maths as that's my best subject

Whether you've chosen your options and are starting the GCSE content, or are yet to choose your options and want advice TSR has the resources to help you
    To get started with TSR read our Welcome to the GCSE forum post here

I will definitely be taking you up on that offer of Maths! I'm terrible at it and for my iGCSE's need at least a 6 to get into IB! Good luck with your exams this year Thanks for stopping by to see us ahha, I do not envy you! xx

ReputationRep:
    I'm a uni student and I just want to put my advice here for kids in year 9.

-When choosing GCSE subjects, don't let people sway your decision. Do what you want to do. Not what your parents want you to do, not what your friends want you to do, what you want to do. Otherwise you will be miserable for the next two years and that's not fun. It's your education and nobody else's so it's your choice.

-Don't do subjects for the sake of thinking it will be fun or to look a certain way. I did GCSE art and GCSE music mainly because I wanted to be creative etc despite the fact I clearly wasn't that person. Do not do this. It is awful to go through and you struggle a lot. Do subjects you find easy as well as interesting because it saves you a LOT of trouble. If you find a subject easy chances are it's because you're naturally good at it and find it easy to understand and that means you will excel in it. These subjects are worth taking as it gives you breathing room for other subjects you need to do which you may not find as easy.

-Try not to stress so much: obviously it's important you do well in your GCSE's and try your very very hardest, but it isn't the end of the world if things don't go as well as they could. Not doing well in your GCSE's isn't the end of the world. Obviously you should try your very very best, but don't think your life will end with GCSE's because it doesn't. Do not overexert or stress yourself because it doesn't help and you end up making yourself ill. Try your hardest but do not beat yourself up about things. It's not the end of the world and life goes on after GCSE's regardless of what happens.

-Do not act as though anything below top grades is bad. Everyone has their personal best, and that's not A's and A*'s for everyone (idk how GCSE's are graded now but you get the idea) I got mainly B's and C's in GCSE and I'm now a second year in uni doing a course I've always wanted to do. As long as you try your hardest, you can be proud of what you get. The fact you didn't get top grades doesn't mean you didn't do your best because everyone's best is different and regardless of what teachers say, don't let yourself feel worthless or bad at a subject because you're not a top grade student. Some people are physically not going to get top grades even if they try their very hardest and there is no shame in that whatsoever. Your best is your best and you should be proud of whatever that is for you personally. Don't compare yourself to others it's not worth it.

-Try not to slack in year 10. It's easy to do because you're subconsciously aware you have another year to do stuff, but once you get to year 11 you have to think about revision and that takes a lot of time and energy. More than you think it will. In subjects with coursework try to boss your coursework in year 10 because it gives you a little breathing room in year 11 when things are a lot more intense and you have to prioritise revision. It's hard work, but your year 11 self will thank you because trust me, there's nothing worse than when you slacked in year 10 and you need to get top marks on coursework in year 11 to get your grade whilst struggling with revision and being completely overwhelmed. I did it and I would not recommend it.

Good luck kids. You can do it and I believe in you.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I will definitely be taking you up on that offer of Maths! I'm terrible at it and for my iGCSE's need at least a 6 to get into IB! Good luck with your exams this year Thanks for stopping by to see us ahha, I do not envy you! xx
    No worries If you post in the maths forum then there's lots of helpful people in there who will help and you can tag me in and if I'm around (I usually am :lol:) then I can come along and help
    Thank you Good luck in your studies as well! No worries , not many do :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaRebecca1997)
    Try not to slack in year 10. It's easy to do because you're subconsciously aware you have another year to do stuff, but once you get to year 11 you have to think about revision and that takes a lot of time and energy. More than you think it will. In subjects with coursework try to boss your coursework in year 10 because it gives you a little breathing room in year 11 when things are a lot more intense and you have to prioritise revision. It's hard work, but your year 11 self will thank you because trust me, there's nothing worse than when you slacked in year 10 and you need to get top marks on coursework in year 11 to get your grade whilst struggling with revision and being completely overwhelmed. I did it and I would not recommend it.

Good luck kids. You can do it and I believe in you.
    As a current Year 11, acting as one of a few hundred thousand guinea pigs for popular new-specification option subjects, I can positively tell you that coursework has been abolished for almost everything (or, in the case of Computer Studies [first teaching 2016] or Media Studies [first teaching 2017], greatly reduced. Coursework in CS is the non-exam assessment in Year 11, and probably year-round for Media). The grading also now works on a 9-1 basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carbon Dioxide)
    As a current Year 11, acting as one of a few hundred thousand guinea pigs for popular new-specification option subjects, I can positively tell you that coursework has been abolished for almost everything (or, in the case of Computer Studies [first teaching 2016] or Media Studies [first teaching 2017], greatly reduced. Coursework in CS is the non-exam assessment in Year 11, and probably year-round for Media). The grading also now works on a 9-1 basis.
    The new system just seems like a big effort to screw you guys over for no particular reason I feel really sorry for you

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.