Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was looking through my personal statement on track and I realised that I made a grammar mistake. I don't know how this slipped through but basically, I missed the capital M on "Mycobacterium tuberculosis" and wrote "mycobacterium tuberculosis" instead. This was in the middle of a sentence but it needs a capital M on "mycobacterium" as far as I'm aware.

Is it over for me in terms of medicine based on this grammar mistake?

ReputationRep:
    I can't image 1 capital letter missing is going to shatter your chances, it is a simple oversight when you are writing so much. If you have like…20 mistakes, then there would be a problem. But 1 mistake in your whole statement in the middle of a sentence, I don’t think the admissions officer is going to disregard the content over the issue of 1 letter

ReputationRep:
    They won't care, they have to sift through so many applications and aren't going to start thinking deeply about what this non-capital M says about your ability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avaia)
    I can't image 1 capital letter missing is going to shatter your chances, it is a simple oversight when you are writing so much. If you have like…20 mistakes, then there would be a problem. But 1 mistake in your whole statement in the middle of a sentence, I don’t think the admissions officer is going to disregard the content over the issue of 1 letter
    Are you sure? It's a pretty big mistake tbh
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I doubt they will even notice. Even if they did - they are assessing your appropriateness for medicine, not your grammar.

Loads (like, a good third based on what I've seen) of people capitalise their Subject throughout their entire PS for no reason. That sticks out way more than what you have done so don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t10r)
    I was looking through my personal statement on track and I realised that I made a grammar mistake. I don't know how this slipped through but basically, I missed the capital M on "Mycobacterium tuberculosis" and wrote "mycobacterium tuberculosis" instead. This was in the middle of a sentence but it needs a capital M on "mycobacterium" as far as I'm aware.

Is it over for me in terms of medicine based on this grammar mistake?
    Ehh I personally wouldn't worry too much about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I doubt they will even notice. Even if they did - they are assessing your appropriateness for medicine, not your grammar.

Loads (like, a good third based on what I've seen) of people capitalise their Subject throughout their entire PS for no reason. That sticks out way more than what you have done so don't worry.
    OH ****!!!

Lol just kidding

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 21, 2017

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.