Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    M451 - British Embassy in Israel Motion 2017, Saunders16 MP, Connor27 MP

This house believes that the British Embassy to the state of Israel should be moved to Israeli administered West Jerusalem.

This house also recognises the claim of the state of Palestine to the territory of East Jerusalem, however, this house believes that West Jerusalem is the rightful capital of Israel, and therefore is the rightful location of the British embassy.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I've never been in favour of any plans that divide cities, especially where there is so much hostility on each side. Those kinds of plans just don't work. This is needlessly provocative as well as pointless.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm concerned, if you don't live there, you don't have an opinion.

On this issue I am neither informed or sensitive enough about the subject to have something to contribute.

Abstain.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    I've never been in favour of any plans that divide cities, especially where there is so much hostility on each side. Those kinds of plans just don't work. This is needlessly provocative as well as pointless.
    Exactly; the current status quo is unfit for purpose; however, there is no point moving the Embassy further accentuating hostility until at least part of a true long-term and more importantly sustainable 'two-state solution' has been established, accepted and implemented.

This is unnecessary for the time being.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    abstain, don't really care.

ReputationRep:
    Nay. This will be seen as a provocation by the Palestinian state. Now, we need to be working for a two state solution, not provoking one side or the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankielogue)
    abstain, don't really care.
    This ^^^
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    An embassy in each would be reasonable. This is not.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I mirror the sentiments of my colleague, ns_2, and, to a somewhat lesser extent, my counterpart on the Cabinet, TheDefiniteArticle. Whilst I agree a British Embassy being set up in both would be the idealistic scenario, however I do not believe we should do this until the issues between Israel and the State of Palestine have been mutually resolved and that peace between the two entities is ensured. This is a good idea but I do not feel it's the right time.

ReputationRep:
    Would not Tel Aviv the major holiday resort be better?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilhuff Tarkin)
    I mirror the sentiments of my colleague, ns_2, and, to a somewhat lesser extent, my counterpart on the Cabinet, TheDefiniteArticle. Whilst I agree a British Embassy being set up in both would be the idealistic scenario, however I do not believe we should do this until the issues between Israel and the State of Palestine have been mutually resolved and that peace between the two entities is ensured. This is a good idea but I do not feel it's the right time.
    So it should never happen? Let's not pretend the problems will end without either Israel or the Palestinian Territories ceasing to exist. We should be putting our full support behind easily the most civilised and only democratic country in the region. In 1947 Palestinian Jews were willing to accept internationalisation of Jerusalem, the Arabs did not and the whole city has fallen to Israel in the various wars.

Jerusalem is the Capital of Israel, it is also the political centre. It is highly irregular for an embassy not to be in the capital given its purpose.

(Original post by barnetlad)
    A Consulate in Tel Aviv would suffice
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The practical fact is that the capital of Israel is Jerusalem, therefore that's where the British embassy should be. Dictating to another country where its capital should be is absurd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Embassies are always located in capitals. In fact, embassies don't help nationals, the consulates technically inside of the embassies do.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aye, the British Embassy or the British High Commission should be located in the cities where the foreign government's executive arm sits.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    The practical fact is that the capital of Israel is Jerusalem, therefore that's where the British embassy should be. Dictating to another country where its capital should be is absurd.
    I agree with the motion but I do not agree with your reasoning because some countries have three capital cities.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob E)
    I agree with the motion but I do not agree with your reasoning because some countries have three capital cities.
    If a country has multiple capitals then the logical response would be to select whichever was most suitable as long as it was in one of them.

ReputationRep:
    Nay. I believe the approach we should be pushing for regarding Jereusulum is for it to become a secular, UN-managed city outwith of either state. It is unique as a point of crucial importance for all the Abrhamic faiths, and as such it needs to be welcoming and accessible to all who wish to pay a visit. Given their ongoing conflict, neither Israel nor Palestine is in a position to guarantee this.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Which do you want to cease existing: Israel or the Palestinian territories? That's the only way you will see peace after the Arabs rejected what you want to happen and started a war to try to destroy Israel as soon as it came into being.

(Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Nay. I believe the approach we should be pushing for regarding Jereusulum is for it to become a secular, UN-managed city outwith of either state. It is unique as a point of crucial importance for all the Abrhamic faiths, and as such it needs to be welcoming and accessible to all who wish to pay a visit. Given their ongoing conflict, neither Israel nor Palestine is in a position to guarantee this.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    This motion has entered division.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.