The Student Room Group

SUVAT for throwing something horizontally

How do you find the height something is thrown from when you know that it has been thrown horizontally with projection speed 24m/s and hits the ground 4 seconds later ?
Original post by Elliewhitehall
How do you find the height something is thrown from when you know that it has been thrown horizontally with projection speed 24m/s and hits the ground 4 seconds later ?

How far would an object fall under acceleration due to gravity in 4 seconds?

What have you done so far? Please post your working.
Original post by Muttley79
What have you done so far? Please post your working.

I have listed the numbers I know. u = 24 , a = 9.81 , t = 4 . I need to know the distance the ball falls after being thrown. I have tried s = ut + 1/2at^2 and that gave the wrong answer (174.5m). The correct answer is 78.5m
I have listed the numbers I know. u = 24 , a = 9.81 , t = 4 . I need to know the distance the ball falls after being thrown. I have tried s = ut + 1/2at^2 and that gave the wrong answer (174.5m). The correct answer is 78.5m

It is thown horizontally, gravity acts vertically ...

vert taking downwards as +
u = what ?
a = 9.8
t = 4
Original post by Muttley79
It is thown horizontally, gravity acts vertically ...

vert taking downwards as +
u = what ?
a = 9.8
t = 4

U = 24 ?
U = 24 ?

I did it. U = 0 so s = 74.5m
(edited 6 years ago)

How would I find the horizontal distance?
How would I find the horizontal distance?

How far does a projectile travelling at 24m/s go in 4 seconds?
I did it. U = 0 so s = 74.5m

Yes, if it's thrown horizontally then the vertical component of velocity is zero.
Original post by Joinedup
How far does a projectile travelling at 24m/s go in 4 seconds?

So you would just do it as if the horizontal component was a single particle moving in a straight line horizontally?
So you would just do it as if the horizontal component was a single particle moving in a straight line horizontally?

Yeah - you treat the vertical and horizontal components of the motion independently.
vertical component is subject to constant acceleration due to gravity
horizontal component is constant speed

if the launch angle isn't vertical or horizontal you'll have to do an additional bit of trig to resolve the initial velocity into it's vertical and horizontal components.
Check the attachment

Quick Reply

Latest