Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Graduates! Do you tell potential employers that you have applied to medicine? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I've just submitted my application for medicine as a graduate. I graduated a couple of years ago from my undergrad and just finished a masters degree. I currently have a job that I'm working in full time, however I am massively overqualified for it and it pays very little. I would really like to get a job in something more related to my masters (and that pays more!) but I feel as though I'm being dishonest when applying for permanent jobs because I know that it isn't what I want to do forever, just until I (hopefully) get into medicine, which would realistically be less than a year at this point.

My question I guess is, would you lie to potential employers? Should I only apply to relevant jobs and tell them I've applied to medicine? Am I completely overthinking this?

ReputationRep:
    When I applied to jobs I mentioned both in application forms and at interviews that I'd be applying to medicine. But I mostly applied to entry level Band 2 jobs, so maybe that's why they didn't care so much.

ReputationRep:
    No definitely not. Especially if its a high paying job. They dont want someone who’s heart isnt in it and who will leave after a few months

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for your responses. Maybe I should stick with what I've got, as much as it's not ideal. At least I have a job, It is relevant to medicine and I have quite a lot of freedom so it's not all bad.

Thanks!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.