The Student Room Group

Edexcel Mechanics M4 and M5 13th and 19th June 2018 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Redcoats
I got a different answer for 5(c) mine had (ln(blah))^2 as in the natural log was squared

Do you mean it was the same thing, just with a "squared" at the end? Because that's what I wrote in the exam - just forgot to put it on here.
Any grade boundary estimates - I think it will be similar to 2012 boundaries
Reply 42
Original post by mupsman2312
Anyone else remember getting answers like these?

Q1: 8 Joules

Q2: a = -3.5 and b = 2.5

Q3: r = [cos^2(t/2) - 2cos^3(t/2)]i + [cos^2(t/2) + sin(t)]j

Q4: I = 16M/7

Q5(c): K.E. = (MU^2)/8[2 - ln(1 - lambda)] Joules

6(b): X = 3mg/2 and Y = sqrt(3)mg/2 ==> |F| = sqrt(3)mg

7(a): Period = 2pi.sqrt[(a^2 + 40l^2)/11gl] seconds
7(c): Impulse = 3m.sqrt[11g(a^2 + 40l^2)/2l] Ns

Some of the answers were so messy (particularly to Q7) - I *THINK* these are what I got.

I concur on 1, 2, 3, 4, 6. 5 I got a different answer, one I’m confident on. If you remember how you worked yours out we can have a look at that. Could you write your answers to 7 out on a piece of paper? Trying to decipher that mess is giving me a headache :smile:. I’ll check that once you do.
image.jpg
Any grade boundary estimates - I think it will be similar to 2012 boundaries

You're joking, right? It could be quite low, but THAT low? I'd love it if it is, but I can't see it myself. You never know, though - you could be right; it wasn't the nicest paper, in my opinion.
Original post by EdwardG
I concur on 1, 2, 3, 4, 6. 5 I got a different answer, one I’m confident on. If you remember how you worked yours out we can have a look at that. Could you write yours answers to 7 out on a piece of paper? Trying to decipher that mess is giving me a headache :smile:. I’ll check that once you do.
image.jpg

I got that
You're joking, right? It could be quite low, but THAT low? I'd love it if it is, but I can't see it myself. You never know, though - you could be right; it wasn't the nicest paper, in my opinion.

I was joking ... feebly

Maybe around 63-65.

What do you think?
Original post by EdwardG
I concur on 1, 2, 3, 4, 6. 5 I got a different answer, one I’m confident on. If you remember how you worked yours out we can have a look at that. Could you write your answers to 7 out on a piece of paper? Trying to decipher that mess is giving me a headache :smile:. I’ll check that once you do.
image.jpg

Actually, I'm pretty sure you're right on question 5 - I used the initial speed of the rocket as U instead of zero. Such a silly mistake! :angry:

If I did everything else right, could I still be looking at about 3-4/6?

I got all the way down to using SUVAT (v=u+at) with the correct values of t and a, but the wrong value of u (the only one that was actually given to you in the question!).

I'll write my answers to Q7 on paper, and put them in another post.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by EdwardG
image.jpg

I got something different for question 7
I got a different answer for 5(c) mine had (ln(blah))^2 as in the natural log was squared

By the way, I've just realised that wasn't actually what I wrote in the exam, but I in fact put something else which was also wrong! I believe that what you said is correct - I've realised the silly mistake that I made on that question.
By the way, I've just realised that wasn't actually what I wrote in the exam, but I in fact put something else which was also wrong! I believe that what you said is correct - I've realised the silly mistake that I made on that question.

That's ok. What do you think you've got out of 75?
Here's a handwritten copy of my answers to 7(a) and 7(c):

M5 Exam Q7 001.jpg
That's ok. What do you think you've got out of 75?

Depends upon question 7: if it's right, then potentially about 72; if not, then somewhere in the mid-to-high 60's most probably. What about you?
I was joking ... feebly

Maybe around 63-65.

What do you think?

Probably high 60's for an A* (68-69). Could drop as low as 65, though. Here's hoping!

M5 Exam Q7 001.jpg

I accidently thought the rod was of length 2l so my answers are incorrect.

How many marks do you think I'll lose for that?
Reply 54
xx
(edited 5 years ago)
I accidently thought the rod was of length 2l so my answers are incorrect.

How many marks do you think I'll lose for that?

I wouldn't like to say - I'm not the best at judging the leniency of the mark schemes.

If it's obvious that that's your only mistake, then you should hopefully still get all of the M marks and A ft marks.

Could you still show parts b and d? If so, then that's already 7 out of the 16 marks not to worry about.
Depends upon question 7: if it's right, then potentially about 72; if not, then somewhere in the mid-to-high 60's most probably. What about you?

Maybe low to mid 60s
Reply 57

M5 Exam Q7 001.jpg

I’m am pleased to be able to confirm your answers, well, at least the last one. Can’t remember the others. Kept the 1/2 on the outside but aside from that identical.
Did anyone else give their answer to the differential equation in either of these two forms?

r = [cos^2(t/2) - 2cos^3(t/2)]i + [cos^2(t/2) + 2sin(t/2)cos(t/2)]j

r = [cos^2(t/2) - 2cos^3(t/2)]i + [cos^2(t/2) + sin(t)]j
Original post by EdwardG
I’m am pleased to be able to confirm your answers, well, at least the last one. Can’t remember the others. Kept the 1/2 on the outside but aside from that identical.

What do you think you've got out of 75?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending