Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The molecular formula of Q is C4H7NO. Draw the structure of the isomer of Q
    which shows geometrical isomerism and is formed by the reaction of ammonia with
    an acyl chloride.

Hi, can someone help me on this question please? I know the mechanism for ammonia and acyl chloride but i'm confused on whether acyl chloride will have one carbon or 4 carbon to get the same molecular formula?

There was a diagram on this question, i wasnt able to add a picture but it's on the physics and maths tutor, aqa,nomenclature& isomerism and carbony group questions by topic bit. It's question 1,part b.
    Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Acyl chloride will have a C=C double bond between the second and third carbon atoms, then just use this acyl chloride in the ammonia mechanism and you should be fine
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    And yeah the acyl chloride has 4 carbon atoms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel100499)
    Acyl chloride will have a C=C double bond between the second and third carbon atoms, then just use this acyl chloride in the ammonia mechanism and you should be fine
    i dont undertsand why acyl chlroide will have a double bond between 2nd and 3rd carbon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elvss567)
    i dont undertsand why acyl chlroide will have a double bond between 2nd and 3rd carbon?
    It shows geometrical isomerism, therefore it needs a double bond in there somewhere, if it was on the first carbon it wouldn’t show E/Z isomerism, and if it was on the fourth carbon, that carbon would have too many bonds, therefore it’s on the 2nd and 3rd carbon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel100499)
    It shows geometrical isomerism, therefore it needs a double bond in there somewhere, if it was on the first carbon it wouldn’t show E/Z isomerism, and if it was on the fourth carbon, that carbon would have too many bonds, therefore it’s on the 2nd and 3rd carbon
    ohhh thankyou!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.