Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So basically during my UKCAT exam less than a month ago while being at the Quantitative Reasoning section I realised that wehenever I pressed the dot button on the keyboard "." nothing was shown on the computer calculator. However I only realised that half way in and I actually paniced bcs I did know the answers but wasn't able to finish most of them since answers wouldnt fit due to that! I panicked and I really thought I failed. I did press the dot with my mouse but it was way too time consuming. I got out the room thinking that I failed and the whole medicine dream was gone and while I was ready to make my complain to them I saw that I got a 700 in QR. I was excited and kind of relieved bcs I thought my mean would not even reach 650 so I completely forgot.Nevertheless while seeing all those applicants scoring averages above 700 (mine was 680) makes me regret that I did not speak to the organiser there. Do you guys think I should email them anw? And who? The institute or the ukcat company?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hero_Lou)
    So basically during my UKCAT exam less than a month ago while being at the Quantitative Reasoning section I realised that wehenever I pressed the dot button on the keyboard "." nothing was shown on the computer calculator. However I only realised that half way in and I actually paniced bcs I did know the answers but wasn't able to finish most of them since answers wouldnt fit due to that! I panicked and I really thought I failed. I did press the dot with my mouse but it was way too time consuming. I got out the room thinking that I failed and the whole medicine dream was gone and while I was ready to make my complain to them I saw that I got a 700 in QR. I was excited and kind of relieved bcs I thought my mean would not even reach 650 so I completely forgot.Nevertheless while seeing all those applicants scoring averages above 700 (mine was 680) makes me regret that I did not speak to the organiser there. Do you guys think I should email them anw? And who? The institute or the ukcat company?
    It is far too late to email them now. This is something that has to be raised on the day. Your score is good, stop worrying!

ReputationRep:
    As the poster above said - No chance you could bring it up now. It needed bringing up on the day. But your score is more than good enough!

ReputationRep:
    I think it may still be worth emailing them, not for your own situation now, but this issue could affect many people in the future, so raising the issue could be helpful for others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avaia)
    I think it may still be worth emailing them, not for your own situation now, but this issue could affect many people in the future, so raising the issue could be helpful for others
    Yes I know! I'm not saying that they will make my average higher but maybe they didn't notice and it could affect others! I talked with one girl at my examination center and said that happened to her too (she got 650) and she was apparently sitting at the same desk. Who should I email?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I know! I'm not saying that they will make my average higher but maybe they didn't notice and it could affect others! I talked with one girl at my examination center and said that happened to her too (she got 650) and she was apparently sitting at the same desk. Who should I email?
    there should be contact details online somewhere for the centre where you took the exam, or you could contact the UKCAT people directly - https://www.ukcat.ac.uk/contact-us/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avaia)
    there should be contact details online somewhere for the centre where you took the exam, or you could contact the UKCAT people directly - https://www.ukcat.ac.uk/contact-us/
    I was thinking that maybe if I go straight for the ukcat people I would escalate tha subject really quickly ??

ReputationRep:
    I also talked with other people and they suggested that this may have happened on purpose to check how careful we are..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    UKCAT testing is over for this year so it won’t affect anyone else.
    Additionally no point contacting Pearson Vue as they don’t have any part in running the test. It is more than likely a problem with the keyboard and therefore an issue for the testing centre.

It won’t be any kind of conspiracy theory checking how careful you are. It is probably just a ten year old keyboard that gets pretty regular use in a testing centre.

I would put it out of your mind and focus on your studies. Your main concern now is working towards getting the grades and preparing for interviews when you get them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.