Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware it's traditional to place academic qualifications first on a CV before work history.

However, I was speaking with an employer recently who said they prefer to see work history first as it helps them when scanning through lots of CVs.

Their assumption, when scanning, being that those applying for a vacancy probably have the required qualifications.

Any comments on which should be presented first? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I have always, and only ever seen, education first. It normally goes:

Title with contact details
    Small bio
    Education
    Work history
    Skills/Achievements
    Other info
    References
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little pixie)
    For the majority of employers who have any academic expectations, education first. it's an easy gimme for you, and if they want a degree and you haven't got one, it's an easy chuck out for them. In other words, put your education first if it's going to score you points, put it at the end if it's going to lose you points.

ReputationRep:
    Put it this way, employers get enough CVs and only really want to see the relevant stuff. I have always had a bit about me and key info, then work experience, then school and achievements on the back. Also, never added references, always said 'references available upon request'

Of course if youre applying to a job where you need high qualifications theyre probably more important but for general jobs ive never had an issue. My mum taught me this way too

ReputationRep:
    I think I might just stick with the traditional form of qualifications before work experience.

ReputationRep:
    It depends.
    If you are at graduate level or lower then your education is going to be more important than what little work experience you have. Later in your career if you apply to an intermediate-senior position, they're not going to care much about your degree when you've been working for the last 5 years so put work experience first.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.