Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

There is very little difference between the 'top' and the 'bottom' of society Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's the people in the middle (who either assume themselves to be higher or lower
    than they really are) who are the problem.

The top and the bottom tend to be more generous than the middle.

It's not a north-south gap. In fact many of the friendliest places in the
    north have been colonised by 'above middle' southerners. Like York, Tynemouth, Harrogate (OK, the last one's not massively friendly but it's not bad). And they tend to be 'nicer' than people who are 'middle'. For a start, they had the ambition to actually move, which takes some likeability to survive.

If I meet a random privately educated person, who is above the 'middle' (although
    not necessarily the very 'top' of course) chances are they're going to be a little bit
    nicer than someone who is in the 'middle' who statistically is still likely to have gone to a comprehensive (as did I), and for that to place a ceiling (not necessarily
    unfairly if they have a chip on their shoulder) on their likely social mingling, no
    matter what their wealth.

However- if I meet a random working class person, who is below the 'middle',
    chances are they going to be a little bit nicer than someone who is in the 'middle'.

So I won't tolerate 'chav bashing' or hating on the upper middle or upper class.
    Being benevolent towards the working class is a tradition of the UK
    (noblesse oblige- privilege entails responsibility). Anyone who 'chav bashes' is
    more common than those who they bash.

ReputationRep:
    but you are bashing the people in the middle

ReputationRep:
    I agree. At the end of the day no one really has any contact with the rich or atleast the working class and poor don't. Its the middle class who keep us oppressed.

ReputationRep:
    What a wonderfully ironic post. Or are you part of the "middle" so therefore we should expect you to do some bashing?

The super-rich can be wonderfully generous. Those on around a couple of mil often aren't any nicer than anyone else though. And the "lower classes" aren't necessarily any more spiteful, they're just often less educated to it can come across that way due to blunter turns of phrase etc.

ReputationRep:
    You make a very good point...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwinAtlantic09)
    I agree. At the end of the day no one really has any contact with the rich or atleast the working class and poor don't. Its the middle class who keep us oppressed.
    How are you oppressed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    It's the people in the middle (who either assume themselves to be higher or lower
    than they really are) who are the problem.

The top and the bottom tend to be more generous than the middle.

It's not a north-south gap. In fact many of the friendliest places in the
    north have been colonised by 'above middle' southerners. Like York, Tynemouth, Harrogate (OK, the last one's not massively friendly but it's not bad). And they tend to be 'nicer' than people who are 'middle'. For a start, they had the ambition to actually move, which takes some likeability to survive.

If I meet a random privately educated person, who is above the 'middle' (although
    not necessarily the very 'top' of course) chances are they're going to be a little bit
    nicer than someone who is in the 'middle' who statistically is still likely to have gone to a comprehensive (as did I), and for that to place a ceiling (not necessarily
    unfairly if they have a chip on their shoulder) on their likely social mingling, no
    matter what their wealth.

However- if I meet a random working class person, who is below the 'middle',
    chances are they going to be a little bit nicer than someone who is in the 'middle'.

So I won't tolerate 'chav bashing' or hating on the upper middle or upper class.
    Being benevolent towards the working class is a tradition of the UK
    (noblesse oblige- privilege entails responsibility). Anyone who 'chav bashes' is
    more common than those who they bash.
    It's unclear whether your analysis relates to
    generosity
    friendliness
    niceness
    ambition
    educational genre
    benevolence
    or class-bound antagonism.

Too many issues conflated.

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with chav's lifestyle. Period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nalk1573)
    but you are bashing the people in the middle
    It's more sophisticated than bashing the chavs.

(Original post by Dheorl)
    What a wonderfully ironic post. Or are you part of the "middle" so therefore we should expect you to do some bashing?

The super-rich can be wonderfully generous. Those on around a couple of mil often aren't any nicer than anyone else though. And the "lower classes" aren't necessarily any more spiteful, they're just often less educated to it can come across that way due to blunter turns of phrase etc.
    Some super-rich can also be extremely greedy.
    A billionaire who donates a million is not more generous than a millionaire who donates a hundred, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usualsuspects)
    Some super-rich can also be extremely greedy.
    A billionaire who donates a million is not more generous than a millionaire who donates a hundred, in my opinion.
    You're right, some can, but I'd say in general the super rich are more generous than merely the kinda rich. Apart from anything they seem more inclined to give more of their time, which on a value prospect is worth insane amounts by itself.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.