Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi guys

i have some questions about the essay response in section 2 of the ECAA.

does anyone know how important it is in respect to section 1 of the ECAA?

and also, 40 minutes for the essay doesn't seem like very long at all. i would probably take away up to 10 minutes time of reading the text and planning some ideas, leaving only 30 minutes to write. however, from what is said in the spec, it seems as if they are looking for deep arguments with precision and logic. assuming i'd still write a page or so, would it probably be deemed better if i focused on the true quality of my writing (meaning i'd likely be stopped early due to the time limit), or if i actually finished the essay response with a satisfactory intro/couple of paragraphs/ conclusion?

thank you in advance for any insight

plus! is anyone else prepping for the ECAA? truthfully i'm scared that i will fall below average in my score, and so i have been trying to get very used to the format of the ECAA and its questions to get better at them. i know they say it is more so an aptitude test, but i definitely feel a bit more confident after studying the past papers a little!

ReputationRep:
    :bump:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashaxo99)
    hi guys

i have some questions about the essay response in section 2 of the ECAA.

does anyone know how important it is in respect to section 1 of the ECAA?

and also, 40 minutes for the essay doesn't seem like very long at all. i would probably take away up to 10 minutes time of reading the text and planning some ideas, leaving only 30 minutes to write. however, from what is said in the spec, it seems as if they are looking for deep arguments with precision and logic. assuming i'd still write a page or so, would it probably be deemed better if i focused on the true quality of my writing (meaning i'd likely be stopped early due to the time limit), or if i actually finished the essay response with a satisfactory intro/couple of paragraphs/ conclusion?

thank you in advance for any insight

plus! is anyone else prepping for the ECAA? truthfully i'm scared that i will fall below average in my score, and so i have been trying to get very used to the format of the ECAA and its questions to get better at them. i know they say it is more so an aptitude test, but i definitely feel a bit more confident after studying the past papers a little!
    I'd say it's probably better to have an essay with a conclusion than half an essay that goes into more depth - they know that you're against the clock so there's only so much detail you can go into. That said, you can still be precise and logical - but also concise. Taking 10 minutes to plan is a very good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etoile)
    I'd say it's probably better to have an essay with a conclusion than half an essay that goes into more depth - they know that you're against the clock so there's only so much detail you can go into. That said, you can still be precise and logical - but also concise. Taking 10 minutes to plan is a very good idea.
    thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    How are you guys revising for the ECAA essay bit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dontrevisefail)
    How are you guys revising for the ECAA essay bit?
    i visited an econ day for cam over the summer and the woman was like, as probably expected, that the essay response should be economics-related. so i'm just ensuring i keep up to date with the news as well as expanding my general economic knowledge. i just practised one of the essay texts right now (the specimen paper) and i found a way to include some simple things i'd read about china's economy, as well as keynesian economics. i just watch random youtube videos and read random economics things, which helps me learn about things outside of, let's say, a classroom spec. i think the best way to revise is to just keep your mind open to any information you can find, and then to be creative in your response when it comes to the actual day

ReputationRep:
    Are any of you guys struggling with the ECAA essay bit? Like the conventional wisdom passage was so hard for me... Do they except us to use the knowledge from thepassage only? or could I construct other arguments e.g. conventional wisdoms that are overturned, as shown by X, Y, Z?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etank)
    Are any of you guys struggling with the ECAA essay bit? Like the conventional wisdom passage was so hard for me... Do they except us to use the knowledge from thepassage only? or could I construct other arguments e.g. conventional wisdoms that are overturned, as shown by X, Y, Z?
    omg yes! that conventional wisdom essay was so so difficult! i had to read the text like three times to even get to the grips with what the guy was talking about. it felt like an English GCSE essay, honestly! i think you're also supposed to use your own knowledge too, whilst referring to to the text from time to time. i feel as if i would personally use my own knowledge more, just because i end up forgetting to constantly refer back to the text
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    omg yes! that conventional wisdom essay was so so difficult! i had to read the text like three times to even get to the grips with what the guy was talking about. it felt like an English GCSE essay, honestly! i think you're also supposed to use your own knowledge too, whilst referring to to the text from time to time. i feel as if i would personally use my own knowledge more, just because i end up forgetting to constantly refer back to the text
    Yes same here, I just finished writing it. I referred to the text in the first few paragraphs when I explained what is understood by conventional wisdom. After that, I stopped referring to the text, as I went into examples of conventional wisdom, e.g. never judge a book by its cover. I also went into examples of conventional wisdom that were proven to be false, e.g. home ownership being key, but that created the 2008 financial crisis due to excessive mortgages. Also used an example from freakonomics haha. I hope this is what they're looking for :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etank)
    Yes same here, I just finished writing it. I referred to the text in the first few paragraphs when I explained what is understood by conventional wisdom. After that, I stopped referring to the text, as I went into examples of conventional wisdom, e.g. never judge a book by its cover. I also went into examples of conventional wisdom that were proven to be false, e.g. home ownership being key, but that created the 2008 financial crisis due to excessive mortgages. Also used an example from freakonomics haha. I hope this is what they're looking for :/
    haha, gotta looove freakonomics

i think that's exactly what they're looking for! i think we're on the right track how much do you roughly manage to write for the essay?

ReputationRep:
    haha, gotta looove freakonomics

i think that's exactly what they're looking for! i think we're on the right track how much do you roughly manage to write for the essay?
    I wrote 2 and a half pages. But I went overtime haha fml How much did you write?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etank)
    I wrote 2 and a half pages. But I went overtime haha fml How much did you write?
    ah, i wish i could write that much! i think the most i ever manage to write is a full side of A4 (but my handwriting is really small and squished together, so it's probably 1.5 pages in normal people handwriting ). when i've done it in timed conditions, i usually spend 10-12 minutes reading the source and then planning! i never usually plan essays, but i feel like i need to for this, otherwise i'm scared i'll end up writing something dumb i think it's probably really important to stay precise in the essay, seeing as we have so little time to get our point across, so i try to assure myself that it's quality not quantity because i never really manage to write much

ReputationRep:
    ah, i wish i could write that much! i think the most i ever manage to write is a full side of A4 (but my handwriting is really small and squished together, so it's probably 1.5 pages in normal people handwriting ). when i've done it in timed conditions, i usually spend 10-12 minutes reading the source and then planning! i never usually plan essays, but i feel like i need to for this, otherwise i'm scared i'll end up writing something dumb i think it's probably really important to stay precise in the essay, seeing as we have so little time to get our point across, so i try to assure myself that it's quality not quantity because i never really manage to write much
    yeah I feel you haha, I write very small and my handwriting is complete crap. Hopefully they'll be able to read it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etank)
    yeah I feel you haha, I write very small and my handwriting is complete crap. Hopefully they'll be able to read it
    omg looool! i'm actually so scared that they won't be able to read my handwriting, it's actually a hilarious thought i write like crap in exams, i always feel sorry for examiners! which college did you apply to?

ReputationRep:
    omg looool! i'm actually so scared that they won't be able to read my handwriting, it's actually a hilarious thought i write like crap in exams, i always feel sorry for examiners! which college did you apply to?
    Haha I always hope that the examiner who reads my crap gets paid enough or they definitely wouldn't put up with my handwriting lmaooo And I applied Kings! How about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etank)
    Haha I always hope that the examiner who reads my crap gets paid enough or they definitely wouldn't put up with my handwriting lmaooo And I applied Kings! How about you?
    omg no way! i applied to king's too truthfully, the name itself just sounds really cool, and i'd read a bit of keynes' general theory, and i saw in the front page it said king's college, cambridge since he'd studied there. ever since, i'd made it a total aspiration to apply to king's not to mention how pretty the architecture is too!

ReputationRep:
    omg no way! i applied to king's too truthfully, the name itself just sounds really cool, and i'd read a bit of keynes' general theory, and i saw in the front page it said king's college, cambridge since he'd studied there. ever since, i'd made it a total aspiration to apply to king's not to mention how pretty the architecture is too!
    Wow that's awesome! And yeah the architecture is really pretty Only thing is that they apparently have a communist flag in the college lmao Anyways, I guess I may see you there if I get offered an interview! (which I'm doubtful given my crappy test scores right now haha)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etank)
    Wow that's awesome! And yeah the architecture is really pretty Only thing is that they apparently have a communist flag in the college lmao Anyways, I guess I may see you there if I get offered an interview! (which I'm doubtful given my crappy test scores right now haha)
    hahaha i think i read about that somewhere ! and believe me, i've been getting really *****y scores too, i just hope i do at least above average in the actual thing good luck once again!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.