Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hello guys,
    I have just last week finished my training and signed my contract with Toys R Us as a temporary sales assistant for over the Christmas period.
    I have spent the last 3 day going through there training programme (Which i will be paid for).. Last night we got our shifts starting from next week and I only got 11 hours. All of us got shifts on different days(I think that's so we are working with people who aren't temps so they can help us) but
    My question is, will the hours start to go up? As If I am only going to be getting 11 hours a week I feel like I should go look for employment elsewhere. (As I'm not a student so I could be working 25+ a week.)
    This is my first ever job so I don't know much about zero hour contracts and what peoples experiences with them are.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Zero hours contract means that sometimes u get work sometimes u won’t. Basically u are covering whenever someone is off sick. The good about that is that u choose what hours to do, and u don’t have to work on Christmas or new year. You’ll notice every month u get paid different
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Ask your manager. It will depend on the needs of the store so it may be they go up or it may be they only had a gap of around 10 hours to fill off what they need and other staff will work the rest.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.