Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in the process of completing my UCAS form but I have ran into difficulty on the choices section.
    I know that I wish to study Law and Spanish but there seems to be a million variations of that those said subjects, so choosing the right ones for me is difficult.
    At the University of Glasgow there is:
    Common Law with Spanish Language LLB (Hons)
    Scots Law with Spanish Language LLB (Hons)
    Or
    Scots Law with Spanish Legal Studies LLB (Hons)

I am not 100% sure of the differences between the three courses.

At Strathclyde University there is also Spanish with Law and Spanish AND Law. Again, I am confused on the differences between the two courses as the course contents sections of the website say similar things.

Thank you if you can help unconfuse me!
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by suuusie)
    I am currently in the process of completing my UCAS form but I have ran into difficulty on the choices section.
    I know that I wish to study Law and Spanish but there seems to be a million variations of that those said subjects, so choosing the right ones for me is difficult.
    At the University of Glasgow there is:
    Or

I am not 100% sure of the differences between the three courses.

At Strathclyde University there is also Spanish with Law and Spanish AND Law. Again, I am confused on the differences between the two courses as the course contents sections of the website say similar things.

Thank you if you can help unconfuse me!

You need to get used to going to the uni website- looking up the course and reading what the course is about hen looking at the course structure.

Or

Scotland has its own unique legal system, which is useful for Scotland and less so outside Scotland. So decide if you want to practice or learn about Scottish Law or Common Law, which covers England and wales, Canada, US etc.

Where do you see yourself practicing? If its Scotland pick Scots Law
    if its England pick Common Law. there is only one such degree.with Spanish and not one with Spanish legal.

Thats enough to explain the first 2.
    The third one is Scos law, but they dont detail the Spanish Legal studies, but it will include Spanish Law (if you ever want to do law in Spain. because the Spanish part contains Spanish Law, hen expect it to contain much less general Spanish Language.

For Strathclyde then the two courses are subtly different.

Law with Spanish is an LLB joint honours half Scots Law and half Spanish Language 5 years

Law & Spanish is a BA 4 years.

The significance of LLB is that its a Qualifying Law degree,, which meed the requirements to go on to the next stage of legal training. the BA Law and Spanish is not and youd need to do additional exams because you don learn enough law.

If you read what I wrote then it explains the differences between all 5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You need to get used to going to the uni website- looking up the course and reading what the course is about hen looking at the course structure.

Or

Scotland has its own unique legal system, which is useful for Scotland and less so outside Scotland. So decide if you want to practice or learn about Scottish Law or Common Law, which covers England and wales, Canada, US etc.

Where do you see yourself practicing? If its Scotland pick Scots Law
    if its England pick Common Law. there is only one such degree.with Spanish and not one with Spanish legal.

Thats enough to explain the first 2.
    The third one is Scos law, but they dont detail the Spanish Legal studies, but it will include Spanish Law (if you ever want to do law in Spain. because the Spanish part contains Spanish Law, hen expect it to contain much less general Spanish Language.

For Strathclyde then the two courses are subtly different.

Law with Spanish is an LLB joint honours half Scots Law and half Spanish Language 5 years

Law & Spanish is a BA 4 years.

The significance of LLB is that its a Qualifying Law degree,, which meed the requirements to go on to the next stage of legal training. the BA Law and Spanish is not and youd need to do additional exams because you don learn enough law.

If you read what I wrote then it explains the differences between all 5.
    You have cleared this up for me so much. Thank you.
    I'm Scottish and will probably stay in Scotland but I've been living in Honduras this last year so I can see myself also coming back here to even work so that's where my troubles are.. Scots law or Common.
    You've helped me eliminate options so thank you so much again

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.