Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My dilemma is that I've just done my AS levels in Maths, Further Maths and Physics, i picked these subjects initially because it was what i enjoyed but i didn't really have a clear career path until now. I'm fairly certain that i want to do Medicine at university however as i don't have the right subjects i was wondering what i should do.

I was told that i should think about picking up Biology or Chemistry in my gap year but i don't know if this would count as doing a levels over 3 years or not.

I know that typically, Med schools see Maths/Further Maths as one subject so i was thinking of just applying to do a foundation year instead.

Any advice would be appreciated. TIA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niaasa)
    My dilemma is that I've just done my AS levels in Maths, Further Maths and Physics, i picked these subjects initially because it was what i enjoyed but i didn't really have a clear career path until now. I'm fairly certain that i want to do Medicine at university however as i don't have the right subjects i was wondering what i should do.

I was told that i should think about picking up Biology or Chemistry in my gap year but i don't know if this would count as doing a levels over 3 years or not.

I know that typically, Med schools see Maths/Further Maths as one subject so i was thinking of just applying to do a foundation year instead.

Any advice would be appreciated. TIA
    Hi! I’m a first year medical student. Unfortunately you do need biology and chemistry (not always both but one or the other at least) but there are some med schools (Exeter, brighton etc there are 5 or 6) who don’t have a strict policy about A levels and allow resits etc so its worth asking them if you’d be considered. Also remember it’s not just grades you need but work experience - do you have any?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erinls2)
    Hi! I’m a first year medical student. Unfortunately you do need biology and chemistry (not always both but one or the other at least) but there are some med schools (Exeter, brighton etc there are 5 or 6) who don’t have a strict policy about A levels and allow resits etc so its worth asking them if you’d be considered. Also remember it’s not just grades you need but work experience - do you have any?
    Not yet, I've made a few applications to a hospital and im trying to see if i can get an opportunity to shadow a doctor. I know i can get all the work experience by next year since i'm taking a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked into doing medicine with a foundation year? Some universities run these courses (I know Cardiff do) for students who want to do medicine but didn't pick the right A-level options. So basically in the first year you get taught the stuff you would've missed out on I assume

ReputationRep:
    Your best bet would be to email the admissions team at the medical schools you want to attend and ask them, they will tell you whether they would accept you and should offer advice on what to do if you don't have everything you need right now

List of all medical schools in the UK - https://www.medschools.ac.uk/studyin...edical-schools

UCAS guide on becoming a doctor - https://www.ucas.com/ucas/after-gcse...ospital-doctor

During your gap year you could take an online A-Level or do personal study and then contact a college to put you as a private candidate for the exams

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.