Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this person being supportive or critical of me? Watch

• View Poll Results: Is this person being supportive or critical of me?
    Supportive
    100.00%
    Critical
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Someone was recently advising me about my study skills and future career ambitions.

They said: 'I'm glad I could help. But now you have established some career goals focus on them. Don't think you might make them. You could still be a lecturer and a politician in one life - we all know we need good MPs.'

I struggle to interpret messages like this in any instance, but I am especially confused by the 'Don't think you might make them' bit. Are they being supportive or critical here? Do you think that they are a friend and that what they are saying is supportive or is this part critical?

Please could you help me interpret what they said? Is this person being supportive or critical of me? Do you think that they are a friend of mine or not?

ReputationRep:
    ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomm98)
    Someone was recently advising me about my study skills and future career ambitions.

They said: 'I'm glad I could help. But now you have established some career goals focus on them. Don't think you might make them. You could still be a lecturer and a politician in one life - we all know we need good MPs.'

I struggle to interpret messages like this in any instance, but I am especially confused by the 'Don't think you might make them' bit. Are they being supportive or critical here? Do you think that they are a friend and that what they are saying is supportive or is this part critical?

Please could you help me interpret what they said? Is this person being supportive or critical of me? Do you think that they are a friend of mine or not?
    Id take it as a 'don't assume anythings certain, keep other options open and dont just bank on one thing happening' kinda thing tbh - which is just a warning to me

Hope this helps ya!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImSoFanSea)
    Id take it as a 'don't assume anythings certain, keep other options open and dont just bank on one thing happening' kinda thing tbh - which is just a warning to me

Hope this helps ya!
    Do you think that they were being supportive or critical? Also, I don't really get the part about the MP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomm98)
    Do you think that they were being supportive or critical? Also, I don't really get the part about the MP.
    I'd say it was more of a neutral statement tbh, and the thing about MPs I would take as a 'You could make a pretty good MP' kinda thing.

Honestly, I wouldn't get too hung up over this, you'll distract yourself from other stuff and if you want to go ahead and achieve these goals you have - who are they to stop you? If anything, they're jyst trying to make you aware that life can be pretty unpredictable at times so having a backup plan is a sensible idea.

Sorry if I rambled on a bit too much, but once again I hope you find what I said useful - Good Luck!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.