Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When did the Conservative party become progressives? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Conservatism is what happens when you formal a social and political ideology around a logical fallacy.

ReputationRep:
    In the 19th century the Conservatives were the party of the landed gentry whilst the Liberals were the capitalists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arran90)
    The Conservative Party stopped being conservative when Enoch Powell got booted out for making his Rivers of Blood speech. In reality he got booted out because of his staunch opposition of Britain joining the EU.
    He wasn't thrown out for either, he quit of his own accord.

Ever since then it has progressively slid towards being a socially liberal party. Thatcher is often proclaimed to be a patriot on the flimsy basis of winning the Falklands war but in reality many of the seeds of social liberalism and multiculturalism were planted during her tenure as PM and the flowers did not bloom until Blair was PM.
    Yeah, Section 28 was a real "seed of social liberalism" from Thatcher, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    You have a vested interest in the salary of teachers meaning you’re hardly likely to have a reasonable estimation of what teachers should be paid. You know the salary before you start, if you aren’t happy with it you should have picked a different career
    And what if we all decide to do that and you don't have enough teachers? I can't believe this is even up for debate, the Tories always say that a full time job provides financial security, but aren't willing to make it so for public sector workers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    And what if we all decide to do that and you don't have enough teachers?
    That seems rather unlikely so I guess we'll cross that bridge if we ever get to it.

I can't believe this is even up for debate, the Tories always say that a full time job provides financial security, but aren't willing to make it so for public sector workers.
    Teachers can start on the national average salary despite having more time off than any job I can think of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arran90)
    The big question is whether the English are prepared to vote for a political party other than Lib-Lab-Con in sufficient numbers to elect enough MPs to change the political landscape. In Scotland the SNP has gone mainstream and Northern Ireland politics have changed since the 1980s, but although there have been a few attempts with some degree of success at challenging the political establishment in England none have broken through on a significant scale yet.
    I don't see it changing. That's why the Conservatives can get away with blatantly not being very conservative at all - they know their loyal bunch of mugs will keep voting for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    That seems rather unlikely so I guess we'll cross that bridge if we ever get to it.

Teachers can start on the national average salary despite having more time off than any job I can think of
    National average is £27k, teachers start on £22k. Also you have never done the job-in practice I work north of 50 hours a week to manage the workload.

If it's such a doss why do 40% quit in the first 5 years?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RivalPlayer)
    I don't see it changing. That's why the Conservatives can get away with blatantly not being very conservative at all - they know their loyal bunch of mugs will keep voting for them.
    Yes Theresa May is progressive of the century.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    National average is £27k, teachers start on £22k. Also you have never done the job-in practice I work north of 50 hours a week to manage the workload.

If it's such a doss why do 40% quit in the first 5 years?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    https://targetjobs.co.uk/career-sect...s-for-teachers - teachers in London start on £28k, £1k over the national average.

I don’t know why they quit but it’s incredibly dishonest to suggest that it’s because the job is too hard without anything to substantiate it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.