Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to get some advice and write this to relieve stress really. I am absolutely petrified about going to university, as I imagine most are. I know it is a step I want to take but it does nothing but fill me with anxiety, which concerns me because it seems most people can't wait to go.

Basically, I want to study law, or do a joint-honours of either law, criminology or forensics. My predicted grades are AAB (A for law, A for Geography and B for Psychology), which I am hoping I can get the B pushed up to an A. I live in Norfolk and am looking at the University of Edinburgh, which after talking to close family members including a professor at Keele and a professor at Imperial College London, Edinburgh is a fantastic choice for law, not only due to the reputation but also because of the more lenient grade requirements (minimum ABB). I've also looked at Keele, the UEA and a few in London.

My dream uni is Oxford, I was fortunate enough to spend a few days staying at the Christchurch college and fell in love with it, but I am going to be realistic. I was considering applying next year and hoping I get AAA, as I couldn't apply this year due to my predicted grades including a B.

Before I get some snotty replies of why on earth did I write this, and that I'm being stupid. The point of this, is as much as I want to go to a good university, moving to Edinburgh which is 400 or so miles away or any uni really for that matter, is really worrying me. I have had some quite serious health issues this year which has made me even less confident about moving so far away (I don't like going away from home as it is), and would like to get some advice or stories from people who have moved really far away, because I doubt I am the only person worrying myself silly about this. I have some days where I want for nothing more than to have a completely fresh start, and others where I don't want to be anywhere else but home, but I don't want to let my state of mind get in the way of my future. I've never had to move to a school where I don't know anyone because I have a twin brother who has been with me, so that is just something else to add to my nerves.

I have considered taking a gap year, of which I was going to do a TEFL course in English and teach abroad, South Korea was my intention, in order to throw myself in the deep end, so moving wouldn't be so bad, but I am advised to start uni straight away, and do a gap year afterwards.

If you don't have anything productive to say then please keep quiet, but I am just worrying myself to death here and want to get any advice or other's experiences of moving. Thank you
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by SWF1)
    I wanted to get some advice and write this to relieve stress really. I am absolutely petrified about going to university, as I imagine most are. I know it is a step I want to take but it does nothing but fill me with anxiety, which concerns me because it seems most people can't wait to go.

Basically, I want to study law, or do a joint-honours of either law, criminology or forensics. My predicted grades are AAB (A for law, A for Geography and B for Psychology), which I am hoping I can get the B pushed up to an A. I live in Norfolk and am looking at the University of Edinburgh, which after talking to close family members including a professor at Keele and a professor at Imperial College London, Edinburgh is a fantastic choice for law, not only due to the reputation but also because of the more lenient grade requirements (minimum ABB). I've also looked at Keele, the UEA and a few in London.

My dream uni is Oxford, I was fortunate enough to spend a few days staying at the Christchurch college and fell in love with it, but I am going to be realistic. I was considering applying next year and hoping I get AAA, as I couldn't apply this year due to my predicted grades including a B.

Before I get some snotty replies of why on earth did I write this, and that I'm being stupid. The point of this, is as much as I want to go to a good university, moving to Edinburgh which is 400 or so miles away or any uni really for that matter, is really worrying me. I have had some quite serious health issues this year which has made me even less confident about moving so far away (I don't like going away from home as it is), and would like to get some advice or stories from people who have moved really far away, because I doubt I am the only person worrying myself silly about this. I have some days where I want for nothing more than to have a completely fresh start, and others where I don't want to be anywhere else but home, but I don't want to let my state of mind get in the way of my future. I've never had to move to a school where I don't know anyone because I have a twin brother who has been with me, so that is just something else to add to my nerves.

I have considered taking a gap year, of which I was going to do a TEFL course in English and teach abroad, South Korea was my intention, in order to throw myself in the deep end, so moving wouldn't be so bad, but I am advised to start uni straight away, and do a gap year afterwards.

If you don't have anything productive to say then please keep quiet, but I am just worrying myself to death here and want to get any advice or other's experiences of moving. Thank you
    Avoid being defensive its as likely to cause trouble as prevent it.

Just some brief points

1. The TEFL sounds a good idea or at least taking some baby steps into getting used to being away from home. Much better you do it before you start uni and build up tolerance then you will feel it less.

2. there are regular threads on TSR of people who are lonely, unhappy and homesick, so its best if you arent one of them.

3. Uni of Edinburgh says the required grades are A*AA? Maybe I misread?

4. Ediburgh is a Scottish Law degree. You will be studying Scots law which has a lot of similarities but also a number of differences, just in case you ever wanted to practice in England. You would have to do extra exams. That was my reading of it. Worth checking and considering.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.