The Student Room Group

Dsa support- dropping out :(

Hi
due to my mental health issues I receive DSA part of this is getting a note take, study assistant, and a mentor.

My first year of uni was a disaster and I was on the verge of dropping out.. my note takers hardly came in, I never received the mentor support, and the study skills was so not helpful
But I managed to make it to second year although my condition is a lot more worse sadly and mainly because of the shock of first year, nothing that was discussed with my disability adviser went to plan as she was off sick for most the year.

Anyway.. I've now recently started second year and I still have been awarded the non medical help after my mum constantly calling randstad about my note takers not coming in they finally have someone for 2 days and say they're looking for someone for my other day
About the mentor and study assistant I've constantly sent them my availability for this but they're just not getting back to me as they said they will.

I'm really really depressed and I don't know what to do, my disability adviser is off sick again.. and whenever I go to the office no one else seems to know what to do.

My mental health has plummeted, I wish I didnt need any extra support.. I really wanted to complete my degree.. but now I feel like dropping out and I'm just really confused :frown:
Original post by Naya1
Hi
due to my mental health issues I receive DSA part of this is getting a note take, study assistant, and a mentor.

My first year of uni was a disaster and I was on the verge of dropping out.. my note takers hardly came in, I never received the mentor support, and the study skills was so not helpful
But I managed to make it to second year although my condition is a lot more worse sadly and mainly because of the shock of first year, nothing that was discussed with my disability adviser went to plan as she was off sick for most the year.

Anyway.. I've now recently started second year and I still have been awarded the non medical help after my mum constantly calling randstad about my note takers not coming in they finally have someone for 2 days and say they're looking for someone for my other day
About the mentor and study assistant I've constantly sent them my availability for this but they're just not getting back to me as they said they will.

I'm really really depressed and I don't know what to do, my disability adviser is off sick again.. and whenever I go to the office no one else seems to know what to do.

My mental health has plummeted, I wish I didn't need any extra support.. I really wanted to complete my degree.. but now I feel like dropping out and I'm just really confused :frown:
Okay, I'm going to address what I think is the most important bit first (in bold)

You needing extra support is part of who you are. It's biological. And your biology has shaped much of your life up to this point. Just like with the rest of us.
Although it means we face problems, wishing to change our biology is wishing to change who we have evolved into as people.

Right, as for DSA etc. I've found that things happen a lot quicker if the words official and complaint are mentioned in the same sentence.:wink:

Your university should have an official complaints policy published online. Those would be my next steps.

It doesn't feel nice to complain.:nope: But it gets the job done.

MR
Reply 2
Original post by Naya1
Hi

My mental health has plummeted, I wish I didnt need any extra support.. I really wanted to complete my degree.. but now I feel like dropping out and I'm just really confused :frown:

:hugs: Really sorry to hear you're struggling so much and that you've received sub-standard support.

Definitely agree with what 04MR17 has said regarding the official complaint.

Have you been to your GP about your worsening mental health? Are they supporting you in anyway?
Reply 3
Hi, firstly thanks for the advice
It's just that needing extra support means that I must rely on other people.. I've just really started to feel as though I'm a burden to the world, i like your idea about making an official complaint and I know it sounds odd but I feel really awkward about doing this, like I won't really know what to say.. or maybe seem like I'm being ungrateful or something.. I have autism/ADHD and I just don't want to seem like I'm using it as an excuse

Also two of my modules have now disappeared from the system, I've spoken to my unihelp desk who said they don't know why, I've also spoken to the support office who said to email my course tutor as they don't know why, so I spoke to my tutor and he said he doesn't know why! But he will look into it and email me.. he still hasn't got back to me and now I'm just super panicky and fed up of everything. Even if I was to make the complaint I don't feel like anyone would care
Original post by 04MR17
Okay, I'm going to address what I think is the most important bit first (in bold)

You needing extra support is part of who you are. It's biological. And your biology has shaped much of your life up to this point. Just like with the rest of us.
Although it means we face problems, wishing to change our biology is wishing to change who we have evolved into as people.

Right, as for DSA etc. I've found that things happen a lot quicker if the words official and complaint are mentioned in the same sentence.:wink:

Your university should have an official complaints policy published online. Those would be my next steps.

It doesn't feel nice to complain.:nope: But it gets the job done.

MR
Reply 4
I haven't spoken to my GP about anything, I don't think there's much they could do..
Original post by Pathway
:hugs: Really sorry to hear you're struggling so much and that you've received sub-standard support.

Definitely agree with what 04MR17 has said regarding the official complaint.

Have you been to your GP about your worsening mental health? Are they supporting you in anyway?
Reply 5
Original post by Naya1
I haven't spoken to my GP about anything, I don't think there's much they could do..

There's a lot that could be done. Have you got a friend or family member that could go with you to an appointment with your GP for support? You could write down everything that is bothering you etc, and your GP will be able to support you in pushing for better support at university with the help of medical evidence that is recent and details your more current struggles. :hugs:
Original post by Naya1
Hi, firstly thanks for the advice
It's just that needing extra support means that I must rely on other people.. I've just really started to feel as though I'm a burden to the world, i like your idea about making an official complaint and I know it sounds odd but I feel really awkward about doing this, like I won't really know what to say.. or maybe seem like I'm being ungrateful or something.. I have autism/ADHD and I just don't want to seem like I'm using it as an excuse

Also two of my modules have now disappeared from the system, I've spoken to my unihelp desk who said they don't know why, I've also spoken to the support office who said to email my course tutor as they don't know why, so I spoke to my tutor and he said he doesn't know why! But he will look into it and email me.. he still hasn't got back to me and now I'm just super panicky and fed up of everything. Even if I was to make the complaint I don't feel like anyone would care
It will be awkward because complaints always are. Do not feel responsible for your own biology, this is who you are and your university has a duty of care to look after you, a responsibility which they accepted when they offered you a place.:yep:

If there is a system problem then the people to talk to are the almighty administrators.:yep:

At the risk of sounding brutal, you have a choice between relying on other people, or suffering unfairly as a result. Those other people have a responsibility and are paid to look after your needs. They have clearly defined standards with which to act by, and if the service they offer does not meet that standard then that is where you bring in your union, or complaining etc. Because that is a problem with the service not you, and other people may also be experiencing the problem.

And as @Pathway has said, there's a lot that your GP can do too.:yep:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
@04MR17 Thanks for the advice.. I've decided to definitely make a formal complain, I'll go in on Monday and do this and @Pathway if that doesn't solve anything I'll go to my GP. Hopefully it'll go well.

It's the first time I'm using a website like this (tsr) and it's really helpful! I'm glad I came across it yesterday, I really feel listened to :smile:

Much appreciated,
Thanks a bunch!! :biggrin:
Original post by Naya1
@04MR17 Thanks for the advice.. I've decided to definitely make a formal complain, I'll go in on Monday and do this and @Pathway if that doesn't solve anything I'll go to my GP. Hopefully it'll go well.

It's the first time I'm using a website like this (tsr) and it's really helpful! I'm glad I came across it yesterday, I really feel listened to :smile:

Much appreciated,
Thanks a bunch!! :biggrin:
No problem.:h:

Glad to be of service.:hat2:
Reply 9
You're welcome, @Naya1. :h: I hope it goes well.
Hello OP. As you're having so much trouble with contacting your university's disability adviser, have you thought about contacting your study needs assessor? If whoever has been agreed to provide your note taking etc support can't do so, your needs assessor might be able to do something about an alternative supplier.

Please don't feel that you're being ungrateful. This support has been recommended for you and to be having such trouble in organising it must be exacerbating your disability, instead of helping you to overcome it.
Reply 11
@Lovesick I contacted DSA to ask if I could meet or speak with my needs assessor but they said I'd have to go through my disability advisor at uni. Or for any other problem.. although I'd rather not go to her. I'm so fed up. I'm going to try the formal complaint tomorrow as my last option
Original post by Naya1
@Lovesick I contacted DSA to ask if I could meet or speak with my needs assessor but they said I'd have to go through my disability advisor at uni. Or for any other problem.. although I'd rather not go to her. I'm so fed up. I'm going to try the formal complaint tomorrow as my last option

Naya1 you might not believe it but your experience is very common. The simple fact is majority of Universities think it is acceptable to ignore their responsibilities when it comes to disabled people. But at the same time they like advertise that there the best inclusive place on Earth. You shouldn't listen to it. Its a ploy to just get their £9000 tuition a year off you.

I don't want to encourage you to give up so here is what I recommend. Give your University hell on earth. You do this by the following.

1. Join all the political societies on the left-wing. Tell them your story. Tell them how the University sold you a lie and get a placard with something saying My Uni is a disablst university. I demand equal rights. ..... If you do it long enough fellow left wing students will join you because in the left wing unity is our strength. For the many and not the few!

2. Start a Blog. There are lots of free platforms out there but the best one you can make is a YouTube Video blog. You simply record yourself on the camera, upload it to youtube and you tell people everyday whats going on as a disabled student at University. And I will be brutally honest with you as soon as your University catches onto the fact that your making them look bad they will react. At first they will try and threaten you with gentle warnings but after they will tremble in fear and your most likely get the full amount of help what you was entitle too in the first place. They won't be able to chuck you off the course or ahy thing. Its just a fear tactic they use.

3. Write a letter about your situation which can be sent to anyone and just email it to every disability body.

4. Realise disabled people are your strength and you are our strength. Over the last 7 years the majority of disabled people in this country have realised that we can make things happen if we collectively push for things to happen. Join all the facebook disability groups. Oh and come and join both Labour forums on facebook. I want people to hear your story exclusively from you.

I was in a similar situation during my early 20s. Got no support. Got accused of plagiarism despite scoring distinction grades and half way though the course I got no support after a time of serious illness. The tutors basically wanted me to fail and I ended up failing.

What your experiencing is institutionalised discrimination .

I'd really like to know which University your from because if its one close to me you can expect me getting on campus and protesting with you. I have a Open University Library access card which allows me to use the majority of Uni libraries across the country.
Naya1, as far as I know, DSA can't stop you speaking to your study needs assessor. Is there a name and contact number on your study needs assessment report? It can't hurt to give them a call and just explain what's been happening with regards to non provision of your recommended support. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest