Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black1blade)
    Yeah it's because a large proportion of people who are predicted or have 1,2,3 or even 4 A*s apply for Oxbridge but there is still differences in ability between people who get those A*s.
    Quite. If I remember correctly, around 13% of all candidates achieve AAA or better, which means about 43,000 people every year may think they are qualified for Oxbridge entry. Even more will have been predicted those results (as predictions are notoriously over-optimistic).

To describe getting AAA as indicating you are fit for an elite institution is stretching it, to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Quite. If I remember correctly, around 13% of all candidates achieve AAA or better, which means about 43,000 people every year may think they are qualified for Oxbridge entry. Even more will have been predicted those results (as predictions are notoriously over-optimistic).

To describe getting AAA as indicating you are fit for an elite institution is stretching it, to say the least.
    Hmm yeah before you even start thinking about and debating about oxbridge admissions processes we should focus on having a higher quality education for all so people fron disadvantaged backgrounds can get those A*s. In Oxbridge's case, I understand why they don't normally offer below the standard offer although other unis do have access schemes that have decrased grade requirements for people from disadvantaged backgrounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black1blade)
    Hmm yeah before you even start thinking about and debating about oxbridge admissions processes we should focus on having a higher quality education for all so people fron disadvantaged backgrounds can get those A*s. In Oxbridge's case, I understand why they don't normally offer below the standard offer although other unis do have access schemes that have decrased grade requirements for people from disadvantaged backgrounds.
    Oxbridge really acts as a shorthand in the public debate for the concept of 'the better universities'. It's an easy target to accuse of unjustified privilege, etc, despite in some important ways being less privileged in access terms now than some of the 'lesser' members of the Russell Group. The attack dogs ought to be widening their nets, to mix metaphors. For politicians however, slapping down the Warwicks and the Durhams and the Bristols would in no way substitute for the kudos of having a bash at Ox & Cambs. "Would sir like a side dish of outdated hate with that?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Oxbridge really acts as a shorthand in the public debate for the concept of 'the better universities'. It's an easy target to accuse of unjustified privilege, etc, despite in some important ways being less privileged in access terms now than some of the 'lesser' members of the Russell Group. The attack dogs ought to be widening their nets, to mix metaphors. For politicians however, slapping down the Warwicks and the Durhams and the Bristols would in no way substitute for the kudos of having a bash at Ox & Cambs. "Would sir like a side dish of outdated hate with that?"
    .:youbetcha:

Tried to give you an upvote and am met yet again with : "please rate some other members before rating this member again".

Last time I successfully upvoted you was two days ago.

Has OFFA dictated quotas for the TSR too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AllonsEnfants!)
    .:youbetcha:

Tried to give you an upvote and am met yet again with : "please rate some other members before rating this member again".

Last time I successfully upvoted you was two days ago.

Has OFFA dictated quotas for the TSR too?
    :teehee: I receive approx 1 rep point for every ~5 attempts. :smug: I like to think this makes me 'elite' but not as elite as the folks over at the 11-levels of the stratosphere.

ReputationRep:
    :teehee: I receive approx 1 rep point for every ~5 attempts. :smug: I like to think this makes me 'elite' but not as elite as the folks over at the 11-levels of the stratosphere.

"I receive approx 1 rep point for every ~5 attempts."

Well, that's really fair

I hear they had the same problem voting in Catalonia recently.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 15.00.20.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  19.5 KB

Wut?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)

Wut?!

The clue's in the user name - they're full of surprises... :getmecoat:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    No, it's not the *same* rate. But it's close. As I said before, you look at the overall picture, and 80% of the issue is the lack of AAA grades, and maybe 20% is acceptance rates. You keep harpiing on about the 20% difference (*), but even if fixed there would still be a massive discrepancy due to how few black students come out of our education system with AAA.

Contextualised admissions doesn't mean "anyone can get in, whatever their exam results". Being controversial in my own right, what people outside the process tend not to realise is that by Oxbridge standards, AAA is a really low bar. The fact of the matter is that if you can only get AAA, you're unlikely to be made an offer. But it's the contextualised admissions process that means that "you still get looked at even if your likely A-level grades are AAA, in case we think we see some potential that A-levels are missing".

I think the race issue is the emotive one (and I also think, as I posted elsewhere, that if you come from/work in London, it's the slightly shocking one when you visit an Oxbridge college. Although again, in reality that's at least as much to do with London being an outlier than Oxbridge].

(*) There are also statistical reasons to say that much, if not all of that 20% is either due to subject choice and scores within subjects. But you've kind of indicated you don't want in depth stats discussion, so I'm ignoring that for now.
    I'm quite happy to have a in depth stats conversation. You just need to explain it to me in plain English. Not all of us are as clued up on these things.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    See my post immediately prior to yours

But yes A*s at A-level are a good predictor of Tripos (Cambridge degree) success
    https://www.cao.cam.ac.uk/sites/www....erformance.pdf

I guess it's not surprising given the academic nature of an Oxbridge course.

And note: "Equally well qualified students (in terms of A* grades achieved) from state and independent schools and colleges are equally likely to prosper in the first year of Tripos, i.e. there is no ‘sector gap’;"

A POLAR sub-analysis of this data would be useful.
    This to me suggests more of the access courses could be the answer. Why not give the individual the chance to perform at the equivalent of A* grades during a foundation year, especially with the support of highly reputable academics and all the college support systems. Also allows people to try out the university and try to get passed any preconceived ideas about how diverse/undiverse it is, and potentially feel like they could integrate without having to make a three year commitment.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    This to me suggests more of the access courses could be the answer. Why not give the individual the chance to perform at the equivalent of A* grades during a foundation year, especially with the support of highly reputable academics and all the college support systems. Also allows people to try out the university and try to get passed any preconceived ideas about how diverse/undiverse it is, and potentially feel like they could integrate without having to make a three year commitment.
    Agreed
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Agreed
    :dance:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Randomly came across while at a client’s office today and now reading it purely because of this thread...Name:  AD9CA522-B542-4BE7-9CFE-A94A5C5383C1.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  502.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I'm quite happy to have a in depth stats conversation. You just need to explain it to me in plain English. Not all of us are as clued up on these things.
    Well, if you assume scores for a given group (could be socio-economic, could be by ethnicity) are normally distributed, and that group A underperforms group B by a certain amount (could be %age, could be absolute, it doesn't really matter as long as the amount is not too large), then you would expect that if you need to score X for interview, but Y for acceptance (where Y > X and both are large enough to be well into the 'tail' of the distribution), then you'd expect a higher falloff in group A between interview and acceptance than you would for group B. And these effects all get more extreme as you probe towards the extremes of the population.

It's therefore not necessarily surprising, or an indicator of bias (*), that we see inequality growing between interview and acceptance.

(*) You could call it bias in terms of not making allowances. But I think people see (made up figures follow): "10% of AAA+ black applicants get in, 20% of AAA+ white applicants get in, that's obviously bias against black applicants" when a completely colour blind process could easily have that result.

ReputationRep:

Wut?!

Cough. I meant 12. :blush:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    :dance:
    The LMH scheme is very new so I imagine the other colleges will be watching with interest so see how the first cohort progresses.

Overall, the Foundation Year programme:
    • Takes academically able students from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds and enables them to fulfil their potential
    • Gives students the teaching and support they need to progress to a full degree either at Oxford or another university.
    • Provides free teaching and accommodation for the duration of the Foundation Year, along with a stipend to cover living expenses
    • Has lowered entrance requirements (e.g. Typically BBB for a course that requires AAA for direct undergraduate applicants at Oxford)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AllonsEnfants!)
    "I receive approx 1 rep point for every ~5 attempts."

Well, that's really fair

I hear they had the same problem voting in Catalonia recently.
    Vote early and vote often.

One thing I have noticed in TSR generally is that the more I like another editor, the less I can do about it. Kind of a permanent unrequited love situation. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I think there could also be more information provided to people from disadvantaged backgrounds and marginalised communities in terms of the specifics of the support provided. I know, for instance, that there is a counselling service and pastoral support in the vague sense, but I don't know how long the service lasts/whether it's any good for my (often trans-related) issues/how colleges handle unsupportive parents and the vacation/financial issue mixed in with that.

This isn't to say it's off-putting as such, but it would be nice to know more or have a greater understanding of how someone like me (disabled, not in a great financial situation, trans) would be supported. I imagine it's much the same for people from ethnic and socio-economic minority backgrounds and it's this lack of information that might make the difference between a teacher saying "I'm not sure you would fit in there" and "you've got good grades, you should give it a go".

Outreach does do a lot, but it's only a band-aid method compared to tackling false notions about university/improving disadvantaged schools - factors that really will make a difference between an applicant applying vs not.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The LMH scheme is very new so I imagine the other colleges will be watching with interest so see how the first cohort progresses.
    Really hope it works! It might make other traditional universities who have avoided these programmes also take note and consider it, as well as other colleges.

Just seen your edit. I suspect they probably have to offer more of the residential support given the costs of moving to and living in Oxford. Good to see there is a reasonable approach to grade entry requirements too.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Really hope it works! It might make other traditional universities who have avoided these programmes also take note and consider it, as well as other colleges.
    Durham has one - not sure how many other "top" universities do it.

And LMH is fully-funded, unlike Durham.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.