Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need help developing my ideas properly into a short film? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, so for my assignment, I need to develop an idea for a short film for my course. It will be about how technologies have stopped teenagers from expressing themselves. So basically, about the lack of self expression that many young people have today. I have [undeveloped] ideas but I need to develop these ideas more and even come up with other ones which would be good?

Idea 1: A bunch of teenagers are together on their mobile phones and not interacting with each other. They make eye contact with each other but don't speak even though it's obvious they want to say something to each other.... (I have no idea how to complete the whole thing)

Idea 2: A girl is with her friend. Girl 1= Jessica girl 2= Jasmine. Jasmine and Jessica both walk into a house and Jasmine asks Jessica about the outing that they will be having on Saturday. Jessica looks lost, confused and she doesn't say much. Jasmine asks if everything is alright, Jessica mumbles, hardly says anything.
    Then I have two endings to this story:
    She has a mirror like, almost "ghost" image of her sitting right opposite her speaking her true feelings and how she feels
    Alternative:
    Words pop up in a screen, or a voice over speaks how she really feels whilst she is texting and showing no emotion in person

If anyone can come up with new ideas or try and develop my idea this would be great! The film only needs to be a minute a so, so not long ago. I need a really good idea to come up with a good mark.
    Thank you !

ReputationRep:
    not sure but maybe if theres no dialogue in the film it could work- you could have some shots of text messages or like how in some videos the text messages appear in the frame with the actors (idk how to explain??) but if you do that you could have multiple quick cuts aswell as a longshot at the end perhaps???

or like when they plan to hang out but theyre just on their phones using sc and that

i dont know, try writing down your ideas and storyboards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faloodeh)
    not sure but maybe if theres no dialogue in the film it could work- you could have some shots of text messages or like how in some videos the text messages appear in the frame with the actors (idk how to explain??) but if you do that you could have multiple quick cuts aswell as a longshot at the end perhaps???

or like when they plan to hang out but theyre just on their phones using sc and that

i dont know, try writing down your ideas and storyboards
    Thanks or your input, I will try writing down and developing a bit more

I second the idea of little to no dialogue.

Your ideas:
      1) No eye contact. You should make the concept of any and all real-world interactions look alien to these people. But tbh I don't think this idea will work, you need to focus on one individual and show a contrast between what they think and what they type.

What about this idea:

3) Girl1 in obvious depression in her bedroom, idk cutting herself or crying over her dead dog or something. Then she goes on Facebook/Instagram and sees how happy all her friends seem to be (especially Girl2). She posts a really fake happy image of herself (with a strong filter of course) and sends fake-happy messages to her friends. Then cut to another bedroom, where Girl2 is also depressed, and sees how happy Girl1 appears.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FriendlyPenguin)
      I second the idea of little to no dialogue.

Your ideas:
      1) No eye contact. You should make the concept of any and all real-world interactions look alien to these people. But tbh I don't think this idea will work, you need to focus on one individual and show a contrast between what they think and what they type.

What about this idea:

3) Girl1 in obvious depression in her bedroom, idk cutting herself or crying over her dead dog or something. Then she goes on Facebook/Instagram and sees how happy all her friends seem to be (especially Girl2). She posts a really fake happy image of herself (with a strong filter of course) and sends fake-happy messages to her friends. Then cut to another bedroom, where Girl2 is also depressed, and sees how happy Girl1 appears.
      I feel like the last idea relates more to depression/suicidal than lack of self expression or too much usage of technology.

I think I have though about the first one again and the idea is:

A group of students have finished class then they end up getting texts from each other. They all look at each other but they don't say anything. They text each other things like "Do you want to see me this weekend?" and they all text back saying "nope, nope sorry too busy" Then you get a close up of someone else taking a selfie and posting it on instagram. Then you get someone else snapchatting (these are all close ups and cuts). Then you get someone just dozed of on facebook on their laptop and messaging people. Then the people that text each other and on their phones say "okay, bye I am going now, got homework to do" They all leave and then the one person on the laptop then gets up to leave. He searches all around to see where his friends are gone and no one is to be found. He looks baffled. (There is like zero dialogue in this?)
      What do you honestly think of this idea? Thank you for your reponse

(Original post by loveleest)
        I feel like the last idea relates more to depression/suicidal than lack of self expression or too much usage of technology.
        Hmm, I was more thinking along the lines of mis-expression rather than lack of expression.

I think I have though about the first one again and the idea is:

A group of students have finished class then they end up getting texts from each other. They all look at each other but they don't say anything. They text each other things like "Do you want to see me this weekend?" and they all text back saying "nope, nope sorry too busy" Then you get a close up of someone else taking a selfie and posting it on instagram. Then you get someone else snapchatting (these are all close ups and cuts). Then you get someone just dozed of on facebook on their laptop and messaging people. Then the people that text each other and on their phones say "okay, bye I am going now, got homework to do" They all leave and then the one person on the laptop then gets up to leave. He searches all around to see where his friends are gone and no one is to be found. He looks baffled. (There is like zero dialogue in this?)
        What do you honestly think of this idea? Thank you for your reponse
        It would be amusing if four friends just had their eyes glued to their phones and sat next to each other while texting each other, not noticing that they were next to each other in real life.

I especially think it would be more powerful if the lack of worldy awareness (not noticing his friends leaving) arose from his immersion in technology, rather than simply falling asleep.

I'm also disappointed to see you using upwards inflection there, loveleest

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.