Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tarantino has admitted knowing about Weinsteins misconduct towards women Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    It's really difficult. On the one hand, he should've said something, on the other it's good that he seems to be taking responsibility for the fact that he didn't. It sounds like it was well known within Hollywood the kind of things that went on, and Tarantino won't be the only one who knew seemingly for sure, but he has admitted to knowing whihc is more than many of them will ever bother doing. Not that it excuses it, but hopefully it paves the way for Hollywood to take a bit of responsibility as well
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by limetang)
    If he knew and did nothing he should be prosecuted.
    What would he be prosecuted for?

Its still ambiguous as to what he knew. Kits of other people likely knew as well.

He knew he tried to sleep with people?
    He knew he was a bully?
    He knew he asked for massages?
    He knew he offered work to actors who slept with him?
    He knew he had raped someone for a fact because he was a witness to the event?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Wow, a man who had a female actor in a film he made and starred in, indulge his personal foot fetish with him, while on camera, knew about another hollywood bigwig abusing their position of power over women and didn't do anything about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaRainbows)
    Well the fact he said nothing is a bit ignorant, but then again it wasn't his battle to fight. I'm sure if any of the women confided in him about it and asked for help he would have stood up.
    It’s hardly ignorant, the opposite surely? Ignorance would be if he’d not known anything

ReputationRep:
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Weinstein was Executive Producer on some of Tarantino's most successful films, so definitely, Tarantino could have done a number of things, such as not engaged in further business dealings with him if he knew of the allegations AND the truth of at least some of those allegations. Given there were many powerful people, both male and female, who knew about what Weinstein was doing and did not say or do anything it is rather unfair to pounce on Tarantino singularly-though I am not in the least saying it was okay to say and do nothing, and yeah-he should have done something, anything-as he now readily admits, but he is in long list of people in that category.

Predators-people like this, rely upon silence, they rely upon their powerful positions being insulation and protection, that the walls they have built up are so mighty that none-would dare to buck them and speak out against them. And this is what the women who were abused would have had to deal with, no support-because people, were either unwilling or unable, for whatever reasons,whether because of fear, indifference, feeling powerless, for whatever reasons, by failing to speak up, the list of victims continued to grow. I do hope and pray for a day where the network and structure is in place to immediately respond to these sort of sexual and predatory attacks against women, men, and children, with the type of support that does not help to foster silence, fear, fear of further and new forms of humiliation, compliance through intimidation, and fear of retaliation-which are part and parcel of the horrible things that the victims have to deal with, wrestle with, which is in and of itself further "punishment and attack" against their well being and dignity.

How far have we fallen when an actress, for example, endures such treatment with the thinking that her career, to do the work she loves, will go away forever, if she speaks out from having been sexual harassed or sexually assaulted? But this, of course, is the reality, it has been the reality, and we need to change the reality. Part of that change is going to have to come from more men, with the willingness to NOT continue to empower, support, excuse and "justify" other men to do these things. I do not mean to say that there are not women harassers or women who need to also act, but I will say that some special attention and focus definitely is needed on men.

We have come to speak and think against certain acts, in society, as "crimes against humanity." Sexual assault, rape, coercion, fear, intimidation -NOT just on the battlefield or as part of war or attacks on a remote village-the definition MUST BE expanded into the classroom, into the workplace, in social and business settings creates such a destructive path that we need to begin to redefine the scope and seriousness of how the complaints are processed and handled, and how the guilty are treated, as well. These are crimes against humanity, plain and simple. Mr. Weinstein is a man of tremendous wealth, who at any given moment (to my knowledge he is not under arrest or pending charges-he is pending investigation but has not yet been charged with anything) could simply relocate to France or some other non extradition country-similar to Roman Polanski, live high on the hog, free as a bird.

(Original post by Danny Dorito)
    Oscar winning director Quentin Tarantino has admitted to knowing for years about Harvey Weinstein's alleged miscount towards women.

Tarantino has told the New York Times that he "knew enough to do more than [he] did".

"There was more to it than just the normal rumours, the normal gossip. It wasn't second-hand. I knew he did a couple of these things...I wish I had taken responsibility for what I heard. If I had done the work I should have done then, I would have had to not work with him."

You can read more on the story here.

What do you make of this? Should Tarantino have said something? Do you think the rest of Hollywood knew more than they are letting on?

ReputationRep:
    Was it morally wrong to stand by and say nothing? Sure.

Were there others who knew and did nothing and don't even have the courage now to admit that? Most certainly.

Are those people even worst than Taratinto? Damn right they are.

ReputationRep:
    The sex scandal transcends Harvey Weinstein and exposes Hollywood as the empty vase of depravity it truly is. Hollywood needs to stop virtue signalling and people need to stop watching these insipid movies with subliminal messages, typically affronts to a traditional family and don't pay heed to the words of these ventriloquist puppets seriously. The irony of celebrities touting feminist causes while being silent on Weinstein. Didn't the sanctified Obamas send their daughter to intern under Weinstein?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    I don’t see the point in him saying this, it just makes him look bad
    I think he was hoping for a better reaction. I believe he thought he'd get brownie points...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightWingLiberal)
    I think he was hoping for a better reaction. I believe he thought he'd get brownie points...
    Maybe he should stick to making films and let someone handle his PR
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Tarantino nooooooooooooo why

Spoiler:
    Show

Tarantino

(Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Title: "Tarantino has admitted knowing about Weinsteins misconduct towards women"

First line: "Oscar winning director Quentin Tarantino has admitted to knowing for years about Harvey Weinstein's alleged miscount towards women."

There is a very big difference between knowing about misconduct and knowing that there are allegations of misconduct. The former implies complicity.
    Mate. M8 m8 m8... beyond the first line.

"There was more to it than just the normal rumours, the normal gossip. It wasn't second-hand. I knew he did a couple of these things," Mr Tarantino said in an interview with the US newspaper.
    "I wish I had taken responsibility for what I heard. If I had done the work I should have done then, I would have had to not work with him."
    He knew some actual stuff. Article writers just can't use English as well as they think.

(Original post by limetang)
    If he knew and did nothing he should be prosecuted.
    If you see a man being stabbed to death in the street and you don't go and fight the knifeman unarmed, should you be prosecuted?

ReputationRep:
    So many people will have been in the same position as Tarantino. You don't just storm in a battle alone against somebody of Weinstein's status, without evidence or the support of an actual victim, just because he's known to have a reputation around Hollywood. Not Tarantino's battle to fight, and it would have totally taken his own career off-track to get involved in something like that.

People tend to look out for themselves, and it seems a whole bunch of victims kept quite for the exact same reasons Tarantino did - a fear of Weinstein's status and what he could do to them and their careers. Hollywood is screwed, it's probably going on daily, but everybody keeps hush.

ReputationRep:
    Weinstein knows some of the darker satanic/paedo underpinnings beneath Hollywood and has to be the fall guy. All fabricated stories to distract the public from the darker reality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ)
    No he shouldn't, he's not a police officer. He's not obligated to do anything.
    Do you understand the word accomplice or witness to a crime without reporting it? In many USA states that is ILLEGAL and worth the same sentence. ALL of Tarantino's films are produced by Weinstein so he kept quiet because he is a PIMPED OUT COWARD.

999tigger sorry for leaving you a msg and forgot to unblock you assuming you even wanted to respond.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EndAllMarxism)
    Weinstein knows some of the darker satanic/paedo underpinnings beneath Hollywood and has to be the fall guy. All fabricated stories to distract the public from the darker reality.
    👀😧 please stop scaring me!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt Queen)
    Do you understand the word accomplice or witness to a crime without reporting it? In many USA states that is ILLEGAL and worth the same sentence. ALL of Tarantino's films are produced by Weinstein so he kept quiet because he is a PIMPED OUT COWARD.

999tigger sorry for leaving you a msg and forgot to unblock you assuming you even wanted to respond.
    He is neither an accomplice nor a witness.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.