Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have just started my third year of my undergraduate degree. Before this degree I dropped out of another degree 1 term in to the first year.

My partner has just been diagnosed with an acute cancer and is receiving intense treatment. We live together and I am his carer. I am really struggling with studying whilst caring for him full-time.

I am thinking about suspending my studies for a year whilst he undergoes about 8 months of intense treatment.

Will student finance be able to support me still when I return next year? And how do I go about arranging this?

Thanks, Lydia
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Lydia,

I am so sorry to hear of your partners illness and I hope he gets better soon.

If you were to suspend your studies and return next year your support would automatically be blocked as you had already used your additional years funding for your first degree. This means that you wouldn't get your fees paid or any grant and additional means-tested loan funding. It would just be non means-tested Maintenance Loan (ML) funding and any Supplementary Grants such as Parents' Learning Allowances, Childcare Grant, Adult Dependants' Grant, Disabled Students' Allowances (if applicable).

We can however review this if there have been any mitigating circumstances that affect your studies you can apply for Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR). You certainly would have a good case for this due to having an unavoidable caring responsibility for your partner.

To apply for this you would need to send us a letter detailing your CPR along with any supporting evidence for this. We would recommend you send us a signed and dated letter on headed paper from your University or from a professional person confirming the reason why you had to suspend your studies and when this took place. You can send in any other supporting evidence you may have that you think is relevant.

You can send the evidence in when you leave your course to the following address:-

Student Finance England
    PO Box 210
    Darlington
    DL1 9HJ

The evidence will be held on file until such time as you return to your studies. If accepted you would receive your full fee support and full means-tested maintenance funding.

Thanks

Laura

ReputationRep:
    Hi Laura,Thanks for getting back to me.

If I applied for CPR would I be able to determine if my case was accepted before I suspended my studies? I would not be able to support myself when I returned so I would need to be sure that I would get student finance before making my decision?

(Original post by Laura S SFE)
    Hi Lydia,

I am so sorry to hear of your partners illness and I hope he gets better soon.

If you were to suspend your studies and return next year your support would automatically be blocked as you had already used your additional years funding for your first degree. This means that you wouldn't get your fees paid or any grant and additional means-tested loan funding. It would just be non means-tested Maintenance Loan (ML) funding and any Supplementary Grants such as Parents' Learning Allowances, Childcare Grant, Adult Dependants' Grant, Disabled Students' Allowances (if applicable).

We can however review this if there have been any mitigating circumstances that affect your studies you can apply for Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR). You certainly would have a good case for this due to having an unavoidable caring responsibility for your partner.

To apply for this you would need to send us a letter detailing your CPR along with any supporting evidence for this. We would recommend you send us a signed and dated letter on headed paper from your University or from a professional person confirming the reason why you had to suspend your studies and when this took place. You can send in any other supporting evidence you may have that you think is relevant.

You can send the evidence in when you leave your course to the following address:-

Student Finance England
    PO Box 210
    Darlington
    DL1 9HJ

The evidence will be held on file until such time as you return to your studies. If accepted you would receive your full fee support and full means-tested maintenance funding.

Thanks

Laura

ReputationRep:
    Hi Lydia,

I checked that for you before replying and the guidance was that they hold it on file until you apply so that must be normal practice however the assessor may review it when it comes in but it is not guaranteed as it would be at their discretion. If they do review it then you may get an update within our processing timescales. Core processing is taking 21 working days for this type of evidence but if you have applied for Grants for Dependants it could take up to 42 working days.

Thanks

Laura

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Laura.

I have since spoken to a student support advisor at Uni and they have also suggested going part time. Could you please explain the financial procedure if I were to split my final year across two years, considering the fact that I have already used my '+ 1 gift year' of funding. Thanks.

(Original post by Laura S SFE)
    Hi Lydia,

I checked that for you before replying and the guidance was that they hold it on file until you apply so that must be normal practice however the assessor may review it when it comes in but it is not guaranteed as it would be at their discretion. If they do review it then you may get an update within our processing timescales. Core processing is taking 21 working days for this type of evidence but if you have applied for Grants for Dependants it could take up to 42 working days.

Thanks

Laura

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lydia Brown)
    Hi, Laura.

I have since spoken to a student support advisor at Uni and they have also suggested going part time. Could you please explain the financial procedure if I were to split my final year across two years, considering the fact that I have already used my '+ 1 gift year' of funding. Thanks.
    Hi

We do not take previous study into consideration when processing part time funding as you will receive tuition fees only, to apply for part time funding you will need to complete the application below.

http://bit.ly/2gF7PO8

Thanks

Katie

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have read on my Universities information sheets about part-time funding that students continue to receive living cost funding? And also that I would have to apply for CPR to fund one of the years if I go part time?

Just to clarify, I have just started my third year of studies but am considering going part time as I need to be a full-time carer for my partner.

(Original post by Catherine SFE)
    Hi

We do not take previous study into consideration when processing part time funding as you will receive tuition fees only, to apply for part time funding you will need to complete the application below.

http://bit.ly/2gF7PO8

Thanks

Katie

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have read on my Universities information sheets about part-time funding that students continue to receive living cost funding? And also that I would have to apply for CPR to fund one of the years if I go part time?

Just to clarify, I have just started my third year of studies but am considering going part time as I need to be a full-time carer for my partner.
    Hi Lydia Brown,

If you are still continuing on the full time course, but doing it on a part time basis the you will still be entitled to living costs but this will need to be confirmed by the university and you will also need to apply for CPR, If you are changing to do a part time course then you will get tuition fees only.

Thanks

Katie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catherine SFE)
    Hi Lydia Brown,

If you are still continuing on the full time course, but doing it on a part time basis the you will still be entitled to living costs but this will need to be confirmed by the university and you will also need to apply for CPR, If you are changing to do a part time course then you will get tuition fees only.

Thanks

Katie
    Ok, yes I will be continuing on a full term course but part time. What is the procedure? Will I need to apply for CPR now for funding this year or next year?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ok, yes I will be continuing on a full term course but part time. What is the procedure? Will I need to apply for CPR now for funding this year or next year?

Thanks
    Hi Lydia Brown,

Your Collage or University will need to send a change of circumstance to show that you are still doing the full time course, but on a part time basis, they will do this electronically so you will need to speak to them. You can apply for CPR in the final year of your course.

Thanks

Katie

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.