Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Comment.

ReputationRep:
    Do your homework the day it is set, check your understanding every day, do practice papers and past papers, make mind maps, quizzes, posters, your own exam questions. Read examiner reports, make notes and re-make notes. Make flash cards. Take regular breaks in your revision. Anything you don't understand make sure you get it sorted as soon as possible. Attend revision sessions.

ReputationRep:
    Avoid relationships/crushes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Do your homework the day it is set, check your understanding every day, do practice papers and past papers, make mind maps, quizzes, posters, your own exam questions. Read examiner reports, make notes and re-make notes. Make flash cards. Take regular breaks in your revision. Anything you don't understand make sure you get it sorted as soon as possible. Attend revision sessions.
    Thank you very much, I'll keep note of this.

ReputationRep:
    I managed to get a 9 in English Literature and I can honestly say it's about finding some sort of passion for what you're learning. I wasn't a massive fan of English until half way through year 11. Previously, I was getting grade 7's (with sometimes a grade 8 every now and again) until I found that actually, I really enjoyed the texts. Consequently, I watched MrBruff (my saviour) constantly and did a lot of practice essays (I mean a sh*t ton) and got them graded by my teacher.

In terms of revision - associating the texts to everyday life and making jokes/puns relating to the texts especially with friends works wonders.

I think it's really faking it til you make it with the whole passion thing. At the end of the day (like any subject) just do tons of practice and you should do brilliantly

Good luck!

P.S. Don't forget to memorise quotes. I ended up finding 'universal' quotes from my texts which I could argue fitted with most questions they could ask which cuts down the need for massive lists of quotes.

ReputationRep:
    For English Language I second Mr Bruff's You Tube channel, but it's also worth getting his booklet which is something like £4 from his website.

Learn the basic parts of speech, sentence structure, the technical devices including discourse markers, then why paragraphs are grouped a certain way. Most important learn to read what is inferred in the piece (i.e. what is suggested by the way it is written, but not actually put into words). For instance is the person described as bright eyed and bushy tailed meaning they are a happy person, or that they frown, are moody, dark and dismal for a depressed person or witch.

Also know what you need to do in each paper and what question, as they are similar, also the timings for each.

You'll need to know how to write an article, essay, letter, newspaper report etc.

PS I had to do a 10 minute presentation to get into the exam, so think on a subject you know really well to talk about and give a power point presentation.

PPS I found mind maps were brilliant, as well as cheat sheets all in a note book I carried with me everywhere and studied in every 5 minutes spare (ie bus rides).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.