Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is It Fair To Blame Somebody For Their Relative's Mistakes? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I would like to hear opinions on this, mostly because I know for a cliche example, people hate the Hitler family for what Adolf did, not them. Is it fair they suffer for what he did?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by FlintofBavaria)
    I would like to hear opinions on this, mostly because I know for a cliche example, people hate the Hitler family for what Adolf did, not them. Is it fair they suffer for what he did?
    It depends whether theres any link other than a blood tie between the two people and the resulting behaviour. In most cases it will be a no, but in some cases they may have played a part, even if they didnt commit the act itself. You blame them not for the act, but their own contribution towards making the mistajke / unwanted actin possible..

ReputationRep:
    My great uncle punched a sheep once. I don't particularly want to be blamed for that.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    If a person played no part in the crime or mistake they should not be blamed, if they did then they should face blame to the degree their involvement played.

But with Hitler, the crime was so heinous and inhumane, that it is difficult to not blame those around him or to feel a negative way about them
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You can't blame the relatives of a criminal for thier actions insofar as the relatives didn't play a part/influence/encourage what they did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlintofBavaria)
    Of course not.
    No one's entire family tree has been saintly. If it was right to blame someone, or worse act maliciously for what lies in their familial history, chances are we'd all be dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avaia)
    If a person played no part in the crime or mistake they should not be blamed, if they did then they should face blame to the degree their involvement played.

But with Hitler, the crime was so heinous and inhumane, that it is difficult to not blame those around him or to feel a negative way about them
    Why, though? Some of the most prolific serial killers in the world came from pretty ideal backgrounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
    Why, though? Some of the most prolific serial killers in the world came from pretty ideal backgrounds.
    I'm not saying they blame the background or blame the people around him for making him who he was, simply that from a psychological PoV it is hard not to see the killer when you look at those who loved them. Looking at Hitler's mother, the first thing you do is associate her with Hitler, the same is with those around him. His acts were so bad that he has effectively poisoned the name and life of everybody around him for an eternity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avaia)
    I'm not saying they blame the background or blame the people around him for making him who he was, simply that from a psychological PoV it is hard not to see the killer when you look at those who loved them. Looking at Hitler's mother, the first thing you do is associate her with Hitler, the same is with those around him. His acts were so bad that he has effectively poisoned the name and life of everybody around him for an eternity
    I disagree tbh, very small-minded way of thinking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
    I disagree tbh, very small-minded way of thinking.
    xD I am not saying this is how I think or how people should think, I agree with you, I am simply saying that this is how most people view things. It is hard to just be completely subjective in cases like this, terrorism for example, as a whole, people always look to blame a family member after the act has been committed, they always look for some explanation. Because the simple explanation of "they were just evil" is not enough and people need to understand, so they always try to find the negatives in those around the person who commits these violent acts.

ReputationRep:
    You should only judge a human with what they have done if you so choose to judge someone

ReputationRep:
    no if they played no part in it

yes if they were aware of the mistake but helped or turned a blind eye towards it (just to a lesser extent.. still not 100% their fault)

though it seems like when a lot of people get salty they just end up hating anyone whos linked to thay problem
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Assuming they played no part in it, then it's definitely not fair to blame them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.