Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Terrible teacher- is it possible to teach yourself an entire A Level? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Background: I'm a mature student, started college last year, now in second year doing A Levels maths, biology and chemistry. The college is 'bad' anyway, best aim for students is to pass, getting straight A's is rare. Biology teacher was bad last year, half of As class got E's/U's and either got kicked off course or dropped it.

We've officially complained to college but as it's such a slow process of observations, surveys, setting targets for him to improve etc. I don't want to name college/ teachers/ go into too much detail as it's an ongoing issue now and I don't want to sabotage the process or give college a reason to not listen to the class.

My grades in internal end of topic tests last year dropped as low as D/E at christmas, so I started ignoring him, putting headphones in during class time and just teaching myself from the book. I got an A in my As exams, so it was a success! But as it's linear now they don't count anyway!

I'm concerned because I can teach myself the content and hit 70-80%, but I can't nail the trickier questions when you have to phrase things a certain way or apply knowledge. I think if I work my ass off all year I'll get an A again, but for the uni I really want to go to I need an A* in Biology - and it's really non-negotiable.

Has anyone else been in this position and succeeded- and how?

Are there resources I haven't found that will help?

How do I get hold of enough past paper questions & mark schemes considering the old spec is potentially different- I don't want to confuse myself/ waste time on stuff that's irrelevant?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    it is possibke
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Yes. You could do it within a week if you really focused. You can do it over Christmas if you want.

ReputationRep:
    This for medicine? Do whatever you gotta do to survive in this world

ReputationRep:
    Maybe teach yourself the general content and then hire a personal tutor for a few weeks to go over those trickier questions? You can usually find one for around £25 per session, so not cheap but could be an investment in the long run!

ReputationRep:
    yes you could but you shouldn't have to. Can you not get your parents to speak to the principal and complain about this teacher? after all he/she is paid to teach so if they are not doing that then they're not doing their job.

but if you really want to teach it to yourself, I would suggest getting a copy of the specification and you can use it to know what you have to learn. the spec will be available to view on the respective exam board's website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emerald777O)
    This for medicine? Do whatever you gotta do to survive in this world
    Vet med, so pretty much as stressful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apple2017)
    yes you could but you shouldn't have to. Can you not get your parents to speak to the principal and complain about this teacher? after all he/she is paid to teach so if they are not doing that then they're not doing their job.

but if you really want to teach it to yourself, I would suggest getting a copy of the specification and you can use it to know what you have to learn. the spec will be available to view on the respective exam board's website.
    I'm 23, so getting parents involved isn't really possible! Wish I could though sometimes!

I have officially complained, sent a 3 page long email with issues and possible improvements with teaching style, resources, lesson planning etc. Unfortunately it seems to have just put my neck on the line with the teaching staff. This teacher has been an issue for years apparently but office politics= he's still around. I'm probably just going to have to keep my head down and keep plodding on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurakyna)
    Vet med, so pretty much as stressful!
    All you can do is self study or if you really want to then you can get yourself a tutor

ReputationRep:
    Sure. Buy the revision guides and download all the past papers. I did AS-level chemistry ("A" grade) in 3-4 days while studying a different subject at university. I found studying high yield (i.e. exactly the material required by the specification) by myself a lot easier and more effective than trying to follow in class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonteCristo)
    Sure. Buy the revision guides and download all the past papers. I did AS-level chemistry ("A" grade) in 3-4 days while studying a different subject at university. I found studying high yield (i.e. exactly the material required by the specification) by myself a lot easier and more effective than trying to follow in class.
    Thank you. I'm really stressed so just hearing internet strangers say it is possible really helps!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Background: I'm a mature student, started college last year, now in second year doing A Levels maths, biology and chemistry. The college is 'bad' anyway, best aim for students is to pass, getting straight A's is rare. Biology teacher was bad last year, half of As class got E's/U's and either got kicked off course or dropped it.

We've officially complained to college but as it's such a slow process of observations, surveys, setting targets for him to improve etc. I don't want to name college/ teachers/ go into too much detail as it's an ongoing issue now and I don't want to sabotage the process or give college a reason to not listen to the class.

My grades in internal end of topic tests last year dropped as low as D/E at christmas, so I started ignoring him, putting headphones in during class time and just teaching myself from the book. I got an A in my As exams, so it was a success! But as it's linear now they don't count anyway!

I'm concerned because I can teach myself the content and hit 70-80%, but I can't nail the trickier questions when you have to phrase things a certain way or apply knowledge. I think if I work my ass off all year I'll get an A again, but for the uni I really want to go to I need an A* in Biology - and it's really non-negotiable.

Has anyone else been in this position and succeeded- and how?

Are there resources I haven't found that will help?

How do I get hold of enough past paper questions & mark schemes considering the old spec is potentially different- I don't want to confuse myself/ waste time on stuff that's irrelevant?

Thanks!
    All I can recommend is that you work as hard as you can. With as many past papers, and revision guides to suit your exam boards as you can.

In regards to you needing an A*, there is a possibility if you can get an A with the rest of your class getting E's and U's, they'll take that into consideration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    All I can recommend is that you work as hard as you can. With as many past papers, and revision guides to suit your exam boards as you can.

In regards to you needing an A*, there is a possibility if you can get an A with the rest of your class getting E's and U's, they'll take that into consideration.
    How do they know on results day that information? I thought universities knew the average grade for the college and also my results, but they wouldn't know it per subject would they?

ReputationRep:
    You can. I have done this but not for my A level. I had a rubbish teacher for computer science at GCSE who left just before our exams. I looked at the specification and learned everything I could. I also used a revision guide that was given to us. I got an A in the end while most people in the class came out with Es and Ds. I got an A* in the exam, A* on one coursework (year 11) but a B in the other coursework (year 10) so it dragged it down. I think it is very much possible for A levels.

ReputationRep:
    How do they know on results day that information? I thought universities knew the average grade for the college and also my results, but they wouldn't know it per subject would they?
    Ahh, so it's just the biology grades of the school that are bad? But, They/You can request that information, I'm not sure how it works but it's doable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    Ahh, so it's just the biology grades of the school that are bad? But, They/You can request that information, I'm not sure how it works but it's doable.
    The grades in general aren't great, but biology is the worst out of my subjects. Other subjects in the college apparently aren't as bad but I can't comment as I don't take those subjects! I know the college counts for contextual offers from a lot of uni's though, so it's bad enough for that.

I'd rather try and get the A* myself though- plan for the worst, hope for the best.

ReputationRep:
    The grades in general aren't great, but biology is the worst out of my subjects. Other subjects in the college apparently aren't as bad but I can't comment as I don't take those subjects! I know the college counts for contextual offers from a lot of uni's though, so it's bad enough for that.

I'd rather try and get the A* myself though- plan for the worst, hope for the best.
    That's a great mindset to have when it comes to A-Levels. Work hard as if you're not gonna gonna get your grade, but hope you do! Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    omg this was me legit last yr but then i brought snaprevise and some other revision note and i got an a in bio and an a* in chem message me i complained to my head of y but nothign was done soi had to take it into my won hands so i broguht snapreivse it like having a private tutuor but it has pre made notes that you can add too .i finished with my snaprevise so sellignit for dead cheap but honestly buy it because i had the same poblem as yu where i as getting e and u and was even predicted a d but manaaged to get an a* beacuse i used snaprevise and theses note made my this exmainer and the jim clark calution book which is aimed for stduent who want a/a*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.