Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I Just started year 11 and I have to choose my A-levels relatively soon. I know that i want to study medicine at a uni like Cambridge, Oxford or Edinburgh. I'm for sure going to take Biology, Chemistry and Maths but for my fourth subject I'm trying to decide between Physics and Government Politics.

I personally want to take GovPol and thought that it would be fine as I'm already taking 3 science subjects, and no universities say that you gain an advantage by taking 4. However, some teachers are saying that I might have a disadvantage by not taking physics when it comes to medical school applications.

I understand how bio/chem applies to medicine but I don't get how taking physics instead of GovPol would give me better chances. I'm honestly not sure that i would be able to do physics at a-level - not because i couldn't complete the course- because i don't really find it that interesting. Is GovPol a subject which would be looked at as a 'soft' a-level or would it be just as respected as an extra science? and would I be at a real disadvantage if I didnt take 4 sciences?

ReputationRep:
    Don’t let your school mislead you. Universities recommend a minimum of 3 but not doing 4 is a massive cop out. Any course which GovPol might be relevant to desires subjects like History and English lit.

Do A-Level physics as a 4th. It’s what cambridge and other top unis want, not some non-facilitating subject. You can easily fill up your political interests by following twitter accounts like @britainelects. Doesn’t really matter if you don’t like it. If you like at least couple of the a levels you already do, then you won’t lose any sleep at all over a couple you’re not a fan of. I suspect you may even come to like it.

Oh and for the record you probably would be at a disadvantage since 19% of medicine applicants to cambridge to maths and 3 sciences.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Dont let anyone tell you what to take. If you want to take GovPol then go for it. Physics is a difficult A level to take if your not that interested in it (I tried and gave it up after a few months).

Biology, Maths and Chemistry are the only 3 A levels you really need for medicine. Most Uni's only look at 3 A levels for medicine anyway. Try and do well in those. What matters more than having a 4th A level is having work experience and an interest in medicine outside of school.

I think it would be best to take GovPol if its what your more interested in and focus on doing well in maths, biology, chemistry as well as work experience and trying to develop your personal statement!

(I am at Cambridge studying medicine and didn't take physics)

Saying that physics is helpful for medicine at Oxbridge but definitely not worth taking the A level for if its not what you want!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leahhhh)
    Dont let anyone tell you what to take. If you want to take GovPol then go for it. Physics is a difficult A level to take if your not that interested in it (I tried and gave it up after a few months).

Biology, Maths and Chemistry are the only 3 A levels you really need for medicine. Most Uni's only look at 3 A levels for medicine anyway. Try and do well in those. What matters more than having a 4th A level is having work experience and an interest in medicine outside of school.

I think it would be best to take GovPol if its what your more interested in and focus on doing well in maths, biology, chemistry as well as work experience and trying to develop your personal statement!

Saying that physics is helpful for medicine at Oxbridge but definitely not worth taking the A level for if its not what you want!
    Thank you so much! its really helpful to get advice from someone who's actually studying medicine at Cambridge

ReputationRep:

Hi sorry just a random question, I'm just wondering if I have a likelihood of getting into Cambridge even though my GCSEs weren't great.I had 2A*s, 6As and 4Bs at GCSE And I am predicted 4A*s at A level I know my GCSEs aren't great but will they count my improvement (hopefully in the real exams).

I just want to know if I should really go into it for med even though the GCSEs weren't great.

Also, I am taking bio, chem, maths and EPQ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moshh)
    Hi sorry just a random question, I'm just wondering if I have a likelihood of getting into Cambridge even though my GCSEs weren't great.I had 2A*s, 6As and 4Bs at GCSE And I am predicted 4A*s at A level I know my GCSEs aren't great but will they count my improvement (hopefully in the real exams).

I just want to know if I should really go into it for med even though the GCSEs weren't great.

Also, I am taking bio, chem, maths and EPQ.

Your GSCEs are good! I'm sorry I applied before ASs stopped so I can't give an accurate answer. You could always call up an admissions officer and ask, or try emailing someone. I know when I applied they didn't put much weight on GCSEs but it might have changed now there are no ASs.

I think though when it comes down to it you have to think whether you want to apply to places your more likely to get in and have more chance of doing medicine or whether you want to risk it, but if you think it's worth the risk then apply!

Honestly though email / phone up the uni and they can give you a better answer

ReputationRep:
    GovPol is a subject that will show medical schools and universities that you are a well rounded student with a wide range of interests, outside the sciences. No universities request physics for medicine, and outside of the medical physics topic (which you could easy research on your own), it has very little application to medicine at university. I have applied for medicine this year and took Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths, however to round off my application (academically at least) I completed an EPQ, which showed I had a wider interest, as well as highlighting my ability to write an essay. Take GovPol, especially if it is what you want to do, I'm sure it will be a welcome break from all the science.

ReputationRep:
    Your GSCEs are good! I'm sorry I applied before ASs stopped so I can't give an accurate answer. You could always call up an admissions officer and ask, or try emailing someone. I know when I applied they didn't put much weight on GCSEs but it might have changed now there are no ASs.

I think though when it comes down to it you have to think whether you want to apply to places your more likely to get in and have more chance of doing medicine or whether you want to risk it, but if you think it's worth the risk then apply!

Honestly though email / phone up the uni and they can give you a better answer
    Thank you so much for the reply! I will do indeed! x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.