The Student Room Group

Help! I hate my a level choice

I really dislike one of my subjects, Psychology! Also I didn’t realise how unrespected it is. I regret picking it and its only been 2 months into the course. I know its too late to change it at my school, but should I try and beg them anyway? I can’t imagine myself doing it for another 2 years, I wish I had picked politics instead which I have a great passion for. Should I try to change it even though I would have lots of word to catch up on? Or shall I just drag on with psychology for the next 2 years?

Scroll to see replies

If you do not like it do not do it, believe me within the first month I asked if I could change it as I didn't understand it and the college said 'no you will be fine etc- making up excuses because THE COLLEGE GETS PAID FOR ANYONE DOING A LEVELS- I WANTED TO DROP IT TO DO ONE A LEVEL ANDBTEC. THEY DIDN'T LISTEN TO ME FOR MONTHS.
Also psychology is going to have more content in the future. Follow your passion!
(Sorry for caps lock_).
Reply 2
Try and change. If you hate the subject you probably won't end up doing brilliantly at it anyway cause you'll have zero motivation to work etc.
And catching up on 2 months work should be fine, just spend a few days in your own time and make sure you go to any additional workshops they provide! :smile:
Beg them to let you change. It might mean that you have to do quite a bit of work to catch up with the Politics class, but it's definitely worth it. Don't stick with something you hate for 2 years, you'll really regret it! I hope they let you change!!
I'm in the same exact position to you! Except I chose and absolutely hate English Lit. and want to swap to Biology. My school's deadline was the 21st of Sept. but I stressed to them yesterday that it wouldn't be a good idea for me to carry on with it as I lack enthusiasm and interest and would be a waste of time learning something that I don't enjoy. My advice would be to follow your gut feeling because you may perform lower in a subject that completely bores you- it's only been 6-7weeks so far and it's possible to catch up with work over the half term if you truly have a passion for it!
Original post by confused888
I really dislike one of my subjects, Psychology! Also I didn’t realise how unrespected it is. I regret picking it and its only been 2 months into the course. I know its too late to change it at my school, but should I try and beg them anyway? I can’t imagine myself doing it for another 2 years, I wish I had picked politics instead which I have a great passion for. Should I try to change it even though I would have lots of word to catch up on? Or shall I just drag on with psychology for the next 2 years?

Start by talking to the politics teacher. They have to be prepared to take you.
If they say yes its possible, then talk to your psychology teacher and tell them you are struggling and no enjoying the subject and would like to switch. Politics will take you.

If either say no you have other choices to make, but try that first.
Reply 6
I would definitely try to change it. You will have to catch up with the 2 months of politics missed obviously.

Ask if you can change. 6 weeks now is maybe, 15-20 hours of catch-up? It's that or 2 years of a subject you don't like.

Ask if you can change. If not, commit to Psychology.
Reply 8
Can't you drop it after AS anyway? Or do you want to carry 4 subjects over to A2?
I'm genuinely curious - how come you think it's unrespected?

In terms of your problem, just beg them to change. They'd prefer good results over poor ones and it's unlikely you'll do well in psychology considering your dislike for it.

I do Psychology and I love it XD but if you don't like it, it means you're probably going to get a low grade on it, so you should definitely change and do something you're passionate about xx

PS. Why do you think it's not respected?:smile:
Change it 100%
Original post by 999tigger
Start by talking to the politics teacher. They have to be prepared to take you.
If they say yes its possible, then talk to your psychology teacher and tell them you are struggling and no enjoying the subject and would like to switch. Politics will take you.

If either say no you have other choices to make, but try that first.

you give such good advice to everyone
what did you study at uni
Reply 13
You should be able to change it. Someone in my Eng Lit class joined in late January from swapping Further Maths (she realised she wanted to become a lawyer and therefore needed an essay based subject - my school don't tend to let people swap so late). She had to catch up on a lot of work considering we had completed most of the poetry and an entire novel.

Therefore, I think you still have time to catch up if you did swap to politics. Just persuade them the best as you can! There is a lot of factors to consider for the school though, for example if your timetable clashes with the politics class time slots. Other than that, better to give it your best shot at asking and see what happens! :3
Reply 14

If you can prove to them that you can catch up on the work, try and beg them! I changed from textiles to psychology 4 months into a levels and I've caught up fine, and I'm one of the best in my class at psychology. It's all about you and if you're willing to put the time and effort into catching up on the work! But you need to talk to them sooner rather than later. I still have huge regrets about one of my a levels and trust me, it's horrible. There are days I just want to give up but I keep myself motivated by thinking of uni. Make sure you're happy; you can't go 2 years learning something you don't care for, especially psychology which is difficult.

Yes! The deadline for swapping at my school was ages ago, but with good reasoning (or ********ting, same difference), they let me swap a subject earlier today.
If your heart's not in it, it's definitely worth asking.
Dropped Psychology two months after doing it at AS. You can substitute it with an easy subject where you can catch up without difficulty
Reply 17
Try to change- 2 months isn’t that long. I’ve just started year 13 doing Maths, Physics, Economics and Politics- and I can’t imagine finishing this year doing an A level I didn’t want to do. Change now or you won’t make it!
Reply 18

Well, if you really don't like it then don't continue with it. Some people I've done have dropped a subject just before exam season and some have changed subjects completely after first year, some of them go on to do another 2 years or just a one year course a level thing.
You should really talk to someone about it, it's really not that late i changed one of my subjects a few months in but i had a lot of work to catch up on. I was afraid the teachers would end up regretting letting me changed because alot of kids just didnt' care about their homework or revision. So, for that particular subject i tried my best to show teachers the change was worth it and it was helpful for me too, i went to workshops, extra classes kept asking my teachers stuff and i did exam questions and brought them in for them to mark to show them i do stuff at home too.

Hope it helps
politics is awful I am currently studying it for my second year... its not what you expect the first year if its the same syllabus will be British which consists of democracy and participation, elections and voting , political party structure which is confusing , pressure groups , the core executive , devolution and local government , parliament and the constitution. so I would fully not recommend politics. However i would drop psychology if you are not enjoying it . I wish i would have dropped history and I hate it.

Quick Reply

Latest