Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can I cure and get rid of anxiety? Watch

Announcements

I tried using st john's wort which worked for a few days amazingly, the best I've felt in ages but then it stopped

Is there anything that you can take that doesn't require going to the GP for that would help?

Any tips?

Thank you
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    You could try cognitive behaviorally therapy? A psychologist isn't a gp if you're at uni they have counselors so maybe try talking to one of those?

I am in college, I can't really do any therapies

help

ReputationRep:
    Try a guided meditation. Until you learn to do it on your own.
    Alternatively learn to notice when you are ruminating and do something that requires your complete focus such as playing an intense pc game.

ReputationRep:
    Your college should have a team of counsellors that you could go see, but if not try online counselling, i'd recommend kooth.com

Otherwise, make sure you're taking good physical care of yourself. Get enough sleep and make sure you're eating right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I tried using st john's wort which worked for a few days amazingly, the best I've felt in ages but then it stopped

Is there anything that you can take that doesn't require going to the GP for that would help?

Any tips?

Thank you
    I don't know of anything non-medical you can take to reduce anxiety.

There are a few good self-help resources on the web - usually the ones based on CBT - that describe techniques that are helpful. The only disadvantage of these is that they do need a bit of time and application. Having a supportive friend, parent/carer or therapist to encourage you can make all the difference.
    The basic principles are usually
    1. Practice calming techniques when you are not stressed, like calm breathing, mindfulness, positive self talk, and visualisations
    2. Don't avoid anxiety-making situations entirely but only expose yourself to them gradually. Using the techniques you have practised, slowly build up your capacity to handle more and more exposure
    3. Keep a record of your progress so you can see what works for you

Anyway, this is a good website, aimed at "young people"
    And this is their "adults" section if you find the young people section a bit patronising

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.