Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If a first year drops out midway through the first term I understand that the maintenance loan needs to be paid back pro-rata. Could you please advise about the tuition fee loan? I understand the first installment will be paid to the University. Does this need to be paid back straight away or when salary reaches £25,000? Many thanks for your help
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shropshirelass51)
    If a first year drops out midway through the first term I understand that the maintenance loan needs to be paid back pro-rata. Could you please advise about the tuition fee loan? I understand the first installment will be paid to the University. Does this need to be paid back straight away or when salary reaches £25,000? Many thanks for your help
    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe as it's already been paid to the university, this is classed as a year of entitlement used up, so you would only pay it back once you're earning over the threshold.

EDIT: depending on the University, dropping out now might mean they aren't wanting any payment - contrast that to dropping out in two weeks time, where they will probably be wanting 25% of the annual fee. I'd imagine a fair few factors could influence what would happen, in this case.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi shropshirelass51,

If you drop out your University should send us a Change of Circumstance (CoC) to advise us you have withdrawn. We would then reassess your application and your Maintenance Loan (ML) would be reassessed up until the date you last attended. The amount awarded up until that date would be repaid via the Income Contingent Repayment (ICR) scheme. You would go into repayment on the April after you left your course and if you are earning over the £21000 threshold your employer would deduct 9% of anything you earn over that from your salary. Any amount paid to you past the date you last attended would be classed as an overpayment and we would look for that to be repaid immediately.

When we process the CoC we would pay any Tuition Fee Loan (TFL) amount the University advised was due to them which would usually be 25% if you left in the first term. You would therefore never have an overpayment for fees and as IWMTom correctly advised this would be repaid via the ICR scheme only if you are earning over the threshold.

Thanks

Laura

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.