PaulR7693
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My daughter (15) will be applying for Sixth form colleges in the next month and is unsure about her A level choices. She will be on the new A level course where there isn't an AS or A2 exam, just one at the end. They also choose 3 A levels rather than 4 as you no longer drop a subject after AS.

She is a bright girl with predicted grades that are 8-9 (A* -A**) in every subject at GCSE. She is also very Arty and sporty and is in a lot of sports teams and is a competitive swimmer.

She knows she wants to do Maths and Physics but the problem is her third choice as she wants to do PE.

At a recent open day at her school sixth form there were a few disapproving teachers who were suggesting she should do Further Maths or Chemistry (predicted 9+ at Chemistry) to keep future doors open and considering her ability.

I am naturally concerned that she is limiting her future choices by picking PE however I do recognise that a high PE grade may be more useful than a lower Chemistry grade...maybe.

My older daughter did PE and went on to do a Psychology degree (First class honours) a Masters (distinction) and now doing a PhD.

Would be interested to hear views on this third subject.
omLJ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PaulR7693)
My daughter (15) will be applying for Sixth form colleges in the next month and is unsure about her A level choices. She will be on the new A level course where there isn't an AS or A2 exam, just one at the end. They also choose 3 A levels rather than 4 as you no longer drop a subject after AS.

She is a bright girl with predicted grades that are 8-9 (A* -A**) in every subject at GCSE. She is also very Arty and sporty and is in a lot of sports teams and is a competitive swimmer.

She knows she wants to do Maths and Physics but the problem is her third choice as she wants to do PE.

At a recent open day at her school sixth form there were a few disapproving teachers who were suggesting she should do Further Maths or Chemistry (predicted 9+ at Chemistry) to keep future doors open and considering her ability.

I am naturally concerned that she is limiting her future choices by picking PE however I do recognise that a high PE grade may be more useful than a lower Chemistry grade...maybe.

My older daughter did PE and went on to do a Psychology degree (First class honours) a Masters (distinction) and now doing a PhD.

I'd agree with the underlying tone, for academic/ high ranking universities an a-level in chemistry/further maths would be of greater use, with PE being very largely theory based at A level. Further maths/chemistry will be more beneficial in terms of opportunity than PE in my experience.
Guru Jason
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Limiting her choices by choosing a completely unrelated subject? What kind of logic is that?
Bernadette04
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It would highly depend on the calibre of Uni she wishes to go to and what her future career aspirations are.

For Oxbridge a more “academic”A level would be favoured, but if she wanted to do a sports based career for example then PE would be important to take at A level.

Weigh up her career path choices and potential University choices before making the decision on the 3rd A level and then you will be in a position to make an informed choice.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago

It depends what she wants to do.

If she knows, then you can factor in the relative merits of PE. It doesnt have to be the death knell and she only has to get the entry requirements for the degree she wants to do.

If its about keeping options open, then its going to be less flexible than other subjects. Maybe invite her to make a TSR account and she can post what her concerns are. Surely the ideal person to advise is your daughter?
New- Emperor
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maths and Physics are hard subjcts having a wind dow subject could be a good move a chance to switch of for an houre or so.
YaliaV
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
PE would be fine as a 4th, but it's not a very respected A-level
Rover5
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It may be worth checking with the Sixth Form about the status of Further Maths.

In our area of the country even though the sixth forms are (in the main) only offering 3 A levels since the switch to linear (for funding reasons) they will allow students to take Further Maths as a 4th.

With her grades it would seem that she should be able to cope with 4 if they'll let her do that.
HomeworkHater
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Congrats on your daughter's predicted grades
Does she have an idea of what she would like to do at uni? PE is not as respected as Chemistry but keep researching and even phone up the admissions for unis. If the school will allow her to do 4 and drop to 3 after a month, consider doing that because it gives your daughter an idea of what chemistry and PE are like at A-level
The fact she is in sports teams will look good enough on her personal statement
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Actually, the third A-Level choice is almost completely irrelevant. For Medicine, Law etc. It doesnt matter what a third subject is, it's the grades they look for. My friend got into Cambridge Natural Science having her third A-Level as Drama and Theatre Studies. It really makes no difference. If she's happier doing PE - Don't try and influence her otherwise.
Milky_Way
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If she's looking to do medicine and many other fields may require this too, they often stipulate a 3rd 'academic subject', not sure if PE may fall under this category, you may need to check
Studygeekscience
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If she doesn’t completely want to do chemistry it is unlikely she will do well, it is not simply a subject you pick because it’s the better option. She must want to do it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.54%
They might tell the bully (16)
10.46%
I don't think they'd understand (28)
18.3%
It might lead to more bullying (57)
37.25%
There's nothing they could do (42)
27.45%

Watched Threads