Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys
    I’m currently in my first year of A levels studying maths, physics and psychology. When I was picking these subjects I was hoping to study astronomy or astrophysics, however I’ve had a change of heart. This was because I started volunteering at elderly care home and found my passion for helping people and caring for others it gave me great joy and happiness. Since then I have always considered my options into medicine and I just wanted to know if there is a way into medicine with the subjects I’m currently studying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beth be)
    Hi guys
    I’m currently in my first year of A levels studying maths, physics and psychology. When I was picking these subjects I was hoping to study astronomy or astrophysics, however I’ve had a change of heart. This was because I started volunteering at elderly care home and found my passion for helping people and caring for others it gave me great joy and happiness. Since then I have always considered my options into medicine and I just wanted to know if there is a way into medicine with the subjects I’m currently studying.
    Don't know much about it but look at foundation medicine courses. They're 6 years long and they'll teach you the science you need in the first year

ReputationRep:
    Why are you only studying three? Apart from foundation entry, you have no chance of getting into medicine as an undergraduate, without Chemistry A-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    Why are you only studying three? Apart from foundation entry, you have no chance of getting into medicine as an undergraduate, without Chemistry A-level.
    "Why are you studying three?" Is a bit of a silly question. The OP realises they need chemistry and don't have it, which is why they are asking about alternate routes into medicine.

With the reforms in A-Levels, most students take three. You only require 3 to get into University. Taking 4 does not advantage you.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Yup foundation year courses are for those who've taken the 'wrong' subjects for medicine and spend an extra year building up the skill needed to then take the 5 year course

Check individual requirements, some unis ask for chemistry but some may only require a science and maths which you have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    "Why are you studying three?" Is a bit of a silly question. The OP realises they need chemistry and don't have it, which is why they are asking about alternate routes into medicine.

With the reforms in A-Levels, most students take three. You only require 3 to get into University. Taking 4 does not advantage you.
    Sorry for offending you but when I did A-levels it was custom to do four AS and drop one. I know things are different now but some people still do four. I asked because if there was a chance to take Chemistry too (though probably too late now) that would be the only real option.

I have given my answer. OP has no chance without A-level chemistry for undergraduate entry unless they are eligible for foundation courses.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if you still can swap psychology for chemistry and swap physics for biology? This will save you alot of time as your still only in Yr12. If you take the wrong subjects there is either foundation courses (really competitive usually) and also GEM (graduate entry- tooo competitive) so I say try to somehow swap your subjects you can catch up within 2 months quite easily for both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    Sorry for offending you but when I did A-levels it was custom to do four AS and drop one. I know things are different now but some people still do four. I asked because if there was a chance to take Chemistry too (though probably too late now) that would be the only real option.

I have given my answer. OP has no chance without A-level chemistry for undergraduate entry unless they are eligible for foundation courses.
    Not at all offended - Just cautious about people giving others the wrong advice!

But yeah, it used to be standard to take 4 AS's and 3 A2's, so I get that.

If the OP had taken Biology and then Maths/Physics, they'd be able to get into some Uni's such as the UEA. But in the absence of both Chemistry being the most important, and Biology; they can't do undergrad med, yeah.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.