Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, so I'm buying a laptop today and I have no clue what to get. Any help would be appreciated

Budget:
    No more than £600

Subject that will be studied:
    I'm doing some A2 retakes this year, but next year I'll be doing IR and politics at uni, so I want that's going to last me until the end of uni.

Software that will be run on it:
    Microsoft, chrome, Netflix, iTunes etc just the usual really. I won't be playing any games or anything

Screen size (10", 12", 13.3", 15.6", 17.3"):
    I like the generic laptop size, so not too small. At least 13.3" I'd say?

Operating system preference:
    Windows

Battery life:
    A decent to good battery life, whatever that is.

Minimum Ram requirements:
    8GB is the standard, right? Whichever is considered decent

Minimum Storage requirements:
    I'll be storing word documents, powerpoints, pictures, some music (not a lot), short videos from my phone and a few applications like Chrome and iTunes. I don't really know what I'll need :lol: I'd prefer a SSD over a HDD because it's faster, so I've heard

Weight limit:
    I don't care about the weight

Will it be used for playing games?:
    No

Touchscreen or stylus support needed?:
    No

Are there any specific port needs? (e.g. USB type C):
    USB port and CD drive, but the latter I'm willing to compromise on.

What current devices do you have? (including desktop, tablets and phone):
    iPhone

I just want something that's fast, reliable and will last me until the end of university. Extra perks: loud speakers and a HD screen, but I know I have a small budget so it's not something the laptop has to have.

Thank

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Try a HP Envy, or an Acer Aspire S3. Really good and under 600 pounds usually.
    I have an aspire s3 that cost me 250 with full hd screen touchscreen, 4gb ram nvidia gt 735m (can play some games), I5 4200u
    really good for the price. (it was refurbished however)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobwibbles)
    Try a HP Envy, or an Acer Aspire S3. Really good and under 600 pounds usually.
    I have an aspire s3 that cost me 250 with full hd screen touchscreen, 4gb ram nvidia gt 735m (can play some games), I5 4200u
    really good for the price. (it was refurbished however)
    I've had an Acer aspire before and it was terrible I'll look into the HP Envy though! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, any midrange HP laptop will fit your needs...even the lower end ones have the things you are looking for. HP Pavillions are good, there are LOADS in that range though so make sure you do some research into them I've had my HP for about 3 years now and it's still running great

ReputationRep:
    I have a HP Envy 13. I got it for £600 when I bought it exactly a year ago now and that was with a student discount so it'll be even cheaper now. If I work on it for the full day of school (say 5 hours) it usually lasts over to the next day as well even after a year. It has everything else you want as well, just not the CD drive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avaia)
    Honestly, any midrange HP laptop will fit your needs...even the lower end ones have the things you are looking for. HP Pavillions are good, there are LOADS in that range though so make sure you do some research into them I've had my HP for about 3 years now and it's still running great
    (Original post by laureliza)
    I have a HP Envy 13. I got it for £600 when I bought it exactly a year ago now and that was with a student discount so it'll be even cheaper now. If I work on it for the full day of school (say 5 hours) it usually lasts over to the next day as well even after a year. It has everything else you want as well, just not the CD drive.
    Thanks for the advice guys! I'll look into the ones you have suggested

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.