Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I Don't Know What to Do for Next Year UCAS Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I am in such a dire situation atm.
    I have no idea how I am going to get into uni next year.
    I was predicted 3 A's.
    I ended up with A, B and D.
    I know I can definitely do better now, but I am absolutely terrified that even if I get 2 A stars or 2 As or whatever, no uni will take a retake student, I am completely confused about what I want to do at university. I started to appeal to Law then realised that no law university will take me on, because again, I am retaking. I have literally been crying for the last month, I just don't know anymore, everything is going to the bin atm. It's been totally downhill from GCSES and I don't know what the hell to do with my life, having to tell my parents, I can't go to a Russell group university even if I do well in my retakes.
    Can someone please give me some guidance? I don't know what the hell to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by massived)
    Hiya, I am in such a dire situation atm.
    I have no idea how I am going to get into uni next year.
    I was predicted 3 A's.
    I ended up with A, B and D.
    I know I can definitely do better now, but I am absolutely terrified that even if I get 2 A stars or 2 As or whatever, no uni will take a retake student, I am completely confused about what I want to do at university. I started to appeal to Law then realised that no law university will take me on, because again, I am retaking. I have literally been crying for the last month, I just don't know anymore, everything is going to the bin atm. It's been totally downhill from GCSES and I don't know what the hell to do with my life, having to tell my parents, I can't go to a Russell group university even if I do well in my retakes.
    Can someone please give me some guidance? I don't know what the hell to do.
    It's okay, there's always options. Law courses are a little more lenient to retake students.

First things first - Did you have extenuating circumstances? As in, something that can be put down on paper, illness or bereavement? If so, that makes everything a lot smoother. You've got a solid reason for your grades, and most places would consider you as it was out of your hands.

If not (and I'm assuming not?) do your retakes. Email courses. Explain your situation. Ask if they'd consider you having done retakes. Some will, some will not. It's not the end of the road. Russel group universities may be more challenging to get into, but getting a first in Law from any university makes you entirely employable. It's not a problem.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Everything was going smoothly until I realised at the end of my M1 exam, my calculator was in radians and I spent half the damn paper questioning my answers since they weren't logically right and I completely forgot about bloody radians.
    Going into the last week, my last chemistry paper and my last 2 maths papers were squashed into 2-3 days i think, I told my mum, I am feeling sick and right before my chemistry paper in the morning, my mum measured my temperature and I was in a severe fever mode, I didn't think I would get exam points for that, you know the rule where if you are so ill that you get extra percent of marks added on, so I didn't say anything because i didn't think it would be worth anything but yeah I was bed ridden for those last 2 days, u know what's it's like with a fever, you are cold then hot etc etc. My biology went past with flying colours, almost got an A star, it was lucky it wasn't in the last week, thank god for that.
    But, yeah I don't know atm, it feels like there's a massive cataract over my happiness, I am on 2 pills of cialpram, I don't know where it went wrong.

ReputationRep:
    You will be able to get into a Russell Group university with retakes. It's just that they might ask for a little higher than they would for first attempts. Do make applications to RG universities, it's not that bad.

You may also have difficulties when it comes to applying for training contracts, as they also ask about retakes. Just make sure you take any opportunity you can to explain your extenuating circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crumpet1)
    You will be able to get into a Russell Group university with retakes. It's just that they might ask for a little higher than they would for first attempts. Do make applications to RG universities, it's not that bad.

You may also have difficulties when it comes to applying for training contracts, as they also ask about retakes. Just make sure you take any opportunity you can to explain your extenuating circumstances.
    But do my circumstances count as extenuating, my family members didn't die, I didn't contract like cancer or some kinda of fleshing eating disease, the calculator thing was my fault and the high fever/temperature was pretty bad, but like it wasn't exactly like I was spitting blood out and vomiting everywhere, it was hard to concentrate obviously and you feel delirious but idk.

ReputationRep:
    But do my circumstances count as extenuating, my family members didn't die, I didn't contract like cancer or some kinda of fleshing eating disease, the calculator thing was my fault and the high fever/temperature was pretty bad, but like it wasn't exactly like I was spitting blood out and vomiting everywhere, it was hard to concentrate obviously and you feel delirious but idk.
    Yes - they're just not as extenuating as other circumstances. It will be down to whoever you're telling what weight they put on your explanations. But if you can back things up with excellent retake grades that show what you were capable of, that will help them to take a view of your potential.

ReputationRep:
    Yes - they're just not as extenuating as other circumstances. It will be down to whoever you're telling what weight they put on your explanations. But if you can back things up with excellent retake grades that show what you were capable of, that will help them to take a view of your potential.
    But don't they offer a place and say we are offering a place or we aren't giving you a place and you have to get X, Y and Z grades to get in, because I am doing my exams in the summer of next year, the retakes so how can i back things up with excellent retake grades if it's after the deadline where they are offering places.

ReputationRep:
    But don't they offer a place and say we are offering a place or we aren't giving you a place and you have to get X, Y and Z grades to get in, because I am doing my exams in the summer of next year, the retakes so how can i back things up with excellent retake grades if it's after the deadline where they are offering places.
    Agreed, but that part of my comment related to when you are applying for jobs, after your degree. In a nutshell:

University

Apply for universities to study law, but expect that the offer you will receive may be a grade or two higher than their 'ordinary' offer because of the fact that you are retaking. Check before you apply, that they are prepared to consider retake students. Plenty are but there's no point in wasting a choice by not checking. Either in your personal statement, or in your school reference, make reference to the reasons behind your underperformance. Are you doing retakes through your school? Will they comment that you underperformed against expectations?

Wait for your offers, then you'll know what you've got to do. Remember also that there will be clearing and adjustment in August, and you may be able to talk your way into a university. I did - originally I got rejected from Southampton, then I phoned up after my results (I retook in January) and asked whether they'd accept me on the basis of my retake grades, and they said, "oh all right then, why not", and there you go, I was in!

Jobs

When you're applying for jobs, you will have both your retake grades and your original grades to declare. But there is usually provision for you to be able to put additional comments, or submit a covering letter. That's where you would explain that you underperformed at A'level due to a calculator problem in the exam and illness, and you weren't happy that your grades reflected your abilities. So you retook and your new grades properly reflected what you feel you should have got in the first place.

You may not find it easy to get a training contract, as competition is high and retakes are an easy way for firms to exclude applicants during their initial trawl. So one thing you might want to think about is attending a university that does a professional placement year. That could give you a foot in the door of a firm. Surrey is one reputable university that does one, I believe?

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, but that part of my comment related to when you are applying for jobs, after your degree. In a nutshell:

University

Apply for universities to study law, but expect that the offer you will receive may be a grade or two higher than their 'ordinary' offer because of the fact that you are retaking. Check before you apply, that they are prepared to consider retake students. Plenty are but there's no point in wasting a choice by not checking. Either in your personal statement, or in your school reference, make reference to the reasons behind your underperformance. Are you doing retakes through your school? Will they comment that you underperformed against expectations?

Wait for your offers, then you'll know what you've got to do. Remember also that there will be clearing and adjustment in August, and you may be able to talk your way into a university. I did - originally I got rejected from Southampton, then I phoned up after my results (I retook in January) and asked whether they'd accept me on the basis of my retake grades, and they said, "oh all right then, why not", and there you go, I was in!

Jobs

When you're applying for jobs, you will have both your retake grades and your original grades to declare. But there is usually provision for you to be able to put additional comments, or submit a covering letter. That's where you would explain that you underperformed at A'level due to a calculator problem in the exam and illness, and you weren't happy that your grades reflected your abilities. So you retook and your new grades properly reflected what you feel you should have got in the first place.

You may not find it easy to get a training contract, as competition is high and retakes are an easy way for firms to exclude applicants during their initial trawl. So one thing you might want to think about is attending a university that does a professional placement year. That could give you a foot in the door of a firm. Surrey is one reputable university that does one, I believe?
    Do you think I can really convince good universities to take me? I know i can get the results but when you were doing your a levels, you could do January exams, I don't have that. I am just petrified that even if I work hard this year and get the grades, they will say yeah, we don't want you because it took you 3 years. It's the fear of thinking what if this turns out i have to wait another year or something.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think I can really convince good universities to take me? I know i can get the results but when you were doing your a levels, you could do January exams, I don't have that. I am just petrified that even if I work hard this year and get the grades, they will say yeah, we don't want you because it took you 3 years. It's the fear of thinking what if this turns out i have to wait another year or something.
    Yes I really do. But you need to do some things:
    - Research or phone up every university about retakes, before you submit your UCAS form. Don't waste a choice through bad research.
    - Work really hard this year to get top grades. It's absolutely critical that your end results reflect what you should have got first time.
    - Be prepared to work for this. You may need to add more choices if your first five reject you, or go through clearing after your results. But there were plenty of RG /1994 universities in clearing this year for law, and it will be the same next year.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I really do. But you need to do some things:
    - Research or phone up every university about retakes, before you submit your UCAS form. Don't waste a choice through bad research.
    - Work really hard this year to get top grades. It's absolutely critical that your end results reflect what you should have got first time.
    - Be prepared to work for this. You may need to add more choices if your first five reject you, or go through clearing after your results. But there were plenty of RG /1994 universities in clearing this year for law, and it will be the same next year.
    What about other subjects that I can potentially do with the Maths, Bio and Chem a levels I have done? Is there anything else that I can do in terms of degrees? Also I still absolutely terrified of calling up universities, i know it sounds silly but I just feel like they will all say, well no, you suck, and it feels like my failure is being thrown over me again. It's really stupid to say but I have been rejected all the way, from girls to unis so it kinda just scares me to even try.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.