Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Currently in year 12 wanting to do medicine. Didn't get all the A*s most people get so thought could get lots of work experience and apply to places like bristol. Have people done gapmedics and recommend it? does it look good?

ReputationRep:
    Same! Thinking of getting loads of work experience to boost me up also..

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's really worth the money, however if you did do it, it would be a good idea fundraise money for the costs. Medical schools like to see work experience done in the UK as you can get an insight into the life of a doctor plus the workings of the NHS. Just email or call as many local hospitals and GPs and ask for a week of work experience. You won't get denied work experience just because of your GCSEs.

Also, it's not about the amount of work experience you do! You could shadow doctors in 20 different specialties but have you actually developed skills through it? You might be able to appreciate the skills that doctors need, but the most important thing is you prove you have these skills! Volunteering is really important, it shows dedication and you can also develop loads of skills through it. Working in a care home is really valuable because you get to interact with patients, develop communication and teamwork skills, appreciate the challenges faced in medicine. Find some long term volunteering and unis will love it.

ReputationRep:
    what GCSEs did you get? I'm in the same situation, I went to the Cardiff university open day yesterday which is very similar to Bristol and I was told that I was not likely to be given a place with my grades and therefore I should look at alternative routes into medicine. The advice I was given was to not try and get fancy work experience because its not just about what you've done or where you've done it, they care more about why that made you want to become a doctor. For example if you've shadowed a brain surgeon, great but what did you learn from it and what did it inspire you to do? I think Gapmedics looks amazing but its soo much money when universities such as Bristol put so much emphasis on GCSEs. I was also told to look at universities who care about a levels, personal statements and UKCAT scores more than GCSE and therefore you're more likely to win an interview. hope this helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niadavies123)
    what GCSEs did you get? I'm in the same situation, I went to the Cardiff university open day yesterday which is very similar to Bristol and I was told that I was not likely to be given a place with my grades and therefore I should look at alternative routes into medicine. The advice I was given was to not try and get fancy work experience because its not just about what you've done or where you've done it, they care more about why that made you want to become a doctor. For example if you've shadowed a brain surgeon, great but what did you learn from it and what did it inspire you to do? I think Gapmedics looks amazing but its soo much money when universities such as Bristol put so much emphasis on GCSEs. I was also told to look at universities who care about a levels, personal statements and UKCAT scores more than GCSE and therefore you're more likely to win an interview. hope this helped.
    I got 3A*s,7As,B

for bristol btw they dont put much emphasis on gcses. its only 15% compared to 50% for personal statment. i mean i can afford it and have the time so no real cons to doing it
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.