Turn on thread page Beta

Think I'm studying the wrong degree at uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I'm in my first year at university studying Criminology, 4 weeks into the term. Even though it's early, I'm not enjoying the course as much as I thought I would, and I think I'm studying the wrong course. I want to study

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HLK999)
    So I'm in my first year at university studying Criminology, 4 weeks into the term. Even though it's early, I'm not enjoying the course as much as I thought I would, and I think I'm studying the wrong course. I want to study
    H ! Im also a first year crim n law student and just finished week5. I love the law side of things but absolutely crim. i thought it was going to be interesting and would be looking at jack frost, crime in the london underground etc but it seems like the complete opposite

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choco_monsterxo)
    H ! Im also a first year crim n law student and just finished week5. I love the law side of things but absolutely crim. i thought it was going to be interesting and would be looking at jack frost, crime in the london underground etc but it seems like the complete opposite
    Hate***
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I am studying for a psychology degree and I believe criminology also starts on the same module, which is social science, aka. not what we're really interested in and I am not very interested in it either, though some aspects are getting my attention. Social science is considered like a foundation to further study in these fields.
    My next module is when I will actually start psychology. However, you will find some modules more interesting than others as you go along so maybe stick with it for a little longer? Level 1 modules are going to be a little basic in the beginning.

ReputationRep:
    If you wanted to switch course, what would you choose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    If you wanted to switch course, what would you choose?
    Ok so the last half my question for some reason deleted itself :/
    I want to learn "what makes people tick? Why do people kill? Are people born evil?" and the study of human behaviour etc. which is all psychology. Whereas Crim is all "the study of crime, causes of crime and people's reactions to crime".
    Despite liking Crim and I do think it's interesting, I think it's the wrong course for me. My stepmum seems to think I am doing the right course, and I will study those topics eventually. Is she right, should I just be patient or am I doing the wrong course?
    Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Ok so the last half my question for some reason deleted itself :/
    I want to learn "what makes people tick? Why do people kill? Are people born evil?" and the study of human behaviour etc. which is all psychology. Whereas Crim is all "the study of crime, causes of crime and people's reactions to crime".
    Despite liking Crim and I do think it's interesting, I think it's the wrong course for me. My stepmum seems to think I am doing the right course, and I will study those topics eventually. Is she right, should I just be patient or am I doing the wrong course?
    Thanks x
    Do you have something that tells you the module content for this year, and examples of modules in year two and three. It may be that later classes will dip into this.

If not, do you have the chance to take electives in psychology that interest you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    Do you have something that tells you the module content for this year, and examples of modules in year two and three. It may be that later classes will dip into this.

If not, do you have the chance to take electives in psychology that interest you?
    Yes, I've had a look on the modules on my course, there's no definite list of what topics we are studying and it instead says (for year 1) "introduction to criminology" and for the 2nd and 3rd years it says "continuing on from your 1st year..."
    Currently we are studying the history of the Criminal Justice System which I'm not finding interesting at all.

I'm considering asking my university if it's possible to do a combined course, instead of just single honours, because I do like Crim but I don't think I'll touch upon the topics I'd like to in my 3 years at uni

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2017
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.