Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.
    I've recently been diagnosed with depression, and mild anxiety. I've had a few panic attacks at school this week, and although I've been supported by my teachers when these happen, they are really scary.
    I'm scared of what my friends think and i don't want to have another panic attack.
    Any tips/advice on getting round this? Ellie x

ReputationRep:
    I have mild anxiety so dont no if i can help there but your friend ent gonna judge you the in the nicest way wont give a shiz about anxiety but will bout the depression which they might even have guessed anyway there your friends , i would tell just one of my friends the one i can trust he most and she or he will have yo back. Good luck girl dont let this hold yo back Xxx

ReputationRep:
    You may be able to control mild anxiety with simple lifestyle changes. Strongly consider the following:
    • Exercise RegularlyEven if you do nothing else, make sure that you are regularly exercising. Exercise is a powerful and important mental health tool. Exercise releases endorphins which calm your entire body. It uses up adrenaline that is released when you are anxious and potentially burns away stress hormones. It tires out muscles to reduce your anxiety symptoms, and it reduces general physical stress, which studies have shown can decrease mental stress as well. Exercise is the most important thing you can do for your mild anxiety.
    • Sleep, Diet, etc.While not quite as beneficial as exercise, general healthy living is also important. Remember that real science has proven that a stressed body can actually create worries and negative thoughts. Your mind and body are linked in a very real way. Getting enough sleep and eating healthier drastically reduce physical and mental stress, and can make coping with anxiety much easier.
    • Learn Relaxation StrategiesCounseling can still be very beneficial for those with mild anxiety. But for those that are hoping to avoid therapy, basic relaxation strategies may be enough. Try deep breathing, visualization, and progressive muscle relaxation to start. Make sure you commit to them for at minimum two months. Contrary to popular belief, relaxation exercises do not work right away. They only work when you become used to doing them without overthinking the behaviors.
    • I hope you can overcome this issue. Good luck to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trucdev88)
    You may be able to control mild anxiety with simple lifestyle changes. Strongly consider the following:
    • Exercise RegularlyEven if you do nothing else, make sure that you are regularly exercising. Exercise is a powerful and important mental health tool. Exercise releases endorphins which calm your entire body. It uses up adrenaline that is released when you are anxious and potentially burns away stress hormones. It tires out muscles to reduce your anxiety symptoms, and it reduces general physical stress, which studies have shown can decrease mental stress as well. Exercise is the most important thing you can do for your mild anxiety.
    • Sleep, Diet, etc.While not quite as beneficial as exercise, general healthy living is also important. Remember that real science has proven that a stressed body can actually create worries and negative thoughts. Your mind and body are linked in a very real way. Getting enough sleep and eating healthier drastically reduce physical and mental stress, and can make coping with anxiety much easier.
    • Learn Relaxation StrategiesCounseling can still be very beneficial for those with mild anxiety. But for those that are hoping to avoid therapy, basic relaxation strategies may be enough. Try deep breathing, visualization, and progressive muscle relaxation to start. Make sure you commit to them for at minimum two months. Contrary to popular belief, relaxation exercises do not work right away. They only work when you become used to doing them without overthinking the behaviors.
    • I hope you can overcome this issue. Good luck to you.
    Thanks for this- it's very helpful.
    I've already tried many of these tips, and most of them I already do as an athlete I exercise every day and eat healthily.
    I would appreciate it if you could give me some more information about the relaxation exercises as they sound really interesting! (I'm on the waitlist for counselling at my school, but a bit anxious about going ahead with this...)
    Best, Ellie x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.