Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.
    I've recently been diagnosed with depression, and mild anxiety. I've had a few panic attacks at school this week, and although I've been supported by my teachers when these happen, they are really scary.
    I'm scared of what my friends think and i don't want to have another panic attack.
    Any tips/advice on getting round this? Ellie x

ReputationRep:
    Did your diagnoser not give you any tips or recommend therapy or anything? You could try talking to your school counselor if you feel stressed or anxious but before a panic attack (though I do know it's not always that predictable). What have you actually told your friends? Do they know you've been diagnosed with anything? Are you taking medication?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Did your diagnoser not give you any tips or recommend therapy or anything? You could try talking to your school counselor if you feel stressed or anxious but before a panic attack (though I do know it's not always that predictable). What have you actually told your friends? Do they know you've been diagnosed with anything? Are you taking medication?
    I haven't had any real tips, other than breathing exercises, which to be totally honest haven't really helped that much... To combat my depression and anxiety, I've been referred to a counsellor in school but there is a fairly long waitlist so for the time being I've got meetings each week scheduled with my head of year - not much help though, more of a chat about life.

I'm really anxious about going to class in case I have another attack because I don't know what sets them off. I haven't told my friends about my diagnosis yet, as it is all very recent (and still finding it all a bit daunting!), but I have mentioned that I'm feeling a bit rough. I'm not currently on medication.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie.kitty)
    I haven't had any real tips, other than breathing exercises, which to be totally honest haven't really helped that much... To combat my depression and anxiety, I've been referred to a counsellor in school but there is a fairly long waitlist so for the time being I've got meetings each week scheduled with my head of year - not much help though, more of a chat about life.

I'm really anxious about going to class in case I have another attack because I don't know what sets them off. I haven't told my friends about my diagnosis yet, as it is all very recent (and still finding it all a bit daunting!), but I have mentioned that I'm feeling a bit rough. I'm not currently on medication.
    Ok. Yeah, I don't really find breathing exercises all that helpful either but I had a lot of luck with medication though I'm a bit older than school age. Your GP might be reluctant to prescribe you medication if you're under 18 but ssri drugs can help with both depression and anxiety so might be worth researching yourself and then talking to your doctor about it though they're not really effective for mild depression I was thinking more for your anxiety as you're getting so many panic attacks. Buspar works great for me but I don't think uk doctors really prescribe it (something to look into? It's only for anxiety not depression ).

Erm, I don't know if this will help but perhaps try writing down exact circumstances before panic attacks once you calm down and see if you can notice any triggers or patterns?

With your friends, it can be hard to confide in people but if you're close to them I'd definitely say it's worth telling them if you can so they can help support you and also like understand/not get offended if you disappear to meetings or stuff.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.