Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I wondered if there are any current or past MBA students from Sheffield Hallam on here who could share their views on the course & the uni in general?

I have applied to start an Executive MBA in the new year, and have attended the postgrad open day & spoken with some of the course leaders. Everyone has been really friendly and I'm impressed by the enthusiasm and commitment of the team.

However, being new to postgrad study I've been doing some online research and seen many forums pushing the benefits of accreditation in the MBA world, particularly AMBA accreditation which this course doesn't have.

Should this be a concern to me? Is this course going to make me any less employable? Is the quality and the recognition of SHU any less than other institutions?

I'd welcome any insight from students please.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I can't comment on SHU, I did my MBA at RGU.

AMBA is one of three standard accreditations available to business schools (the others being AACSB and EQUIS). Accreditation means that programmes have been independently checked and there is certain level of quality. The fact that a university isn't accredited doesn't mean that it isn't good per se, just that it hasn't been independently verified. Once requirement of AMBA is that students have a minimum of three years relevant work experience before starting the course. A non-accredited uni could decide they didn't need any work experience, thereby lowering the level of knowledge within the cohort. Employers may value an accredited course more as there's a certain 'baseline' level, which may devalue non-accredited courses in their mind.

That said, the skills, theory and case studies covered during all courses are largely the same. It depends what your career plans are, as to whether it might be worth pursuing other options or whether SHU satisfies your requirements.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    I can't comment on SHU, I did my MBA at RGU.

AMBA is one of three standard accreditations available to business schools (the others being AACSB and EQUIS). Accreditation means that programmes have been independently checked and there is certain level of quality. The fact that a university isn't accredited doesn't mean that it isn't good per se, just that it hasn't been independently verified. Once requirement of AMBA is that students have a minimum of three years relevant work experience before starting the course. A non-accredited uni could decide they didn't need any work experience, thereby lowering the level of knowledge within the cohort. Employers may value an accredited course more as there's a certain 'baseline' level, which may devalue non-accredited courses in their mind.

That said, the skills, theory and case studies covered during all courses are largely the same. It depends what your career plans are, as to whether it might be worth pursuing other options or whether SHU satisfies your requirements.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing!
    Hi Duncan,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm in my late 30's and have 5yrs management experience, the course at SHU that I am looking at is a part-time EMBA aimed at people with at least 2yrs management experience, who are in full-time employment. From speaking with the course leaders it sounds like the majority of people on the cohort are of a similar age and experience to me so hopefully the level of entrant will be of a good quality.

In terms of career progression I'm looking to broaden my horizons into Operations or General Management roles so would hope that the MBA in itself would give me that rounded view and be of enough of a benefit to future employers. I'm not aiming at a high level finance or banking role, just extended knowledge (I currently work in an industrial sector.)

I've asked the question about accreditation & will see what comments SHU have, but it just surprised me that they don't have these accreditations when its such a large business school and have been offering MBA's for many years. I cant quite work out if its because they can't achieve accreditation or if there is some other unknown reason?

Really appreciate the feedback.

Best regards,

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.