Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would you say would be the best undergrad courses for GEM ?

I was thinking of applying to Dietetics and then do GEM after but apparently some med schools dont like AHPs applying to GEM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jm562)

I was thinking of applying to Dietetics and then do GEM after but apparently some med schools dont like AHPs applying to GEM.
    You should do a course you WANT to study rather than what's best for GEM. You want a good 2.1 or a 1st in your undergraduate degree to even apply to GEM. Also, a lot can change within the three years of studying and you might decide not to go into medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jm562)

If you want GEM then Biomedical science. I am in the final year of my degree and just applied to study medicine in Czech Republic and also for a GEM programme in Poland.

Other option is not to go down the GEM route. There are a lot of options I have found from my research.

(Original post by 06moca1)
    You should do a course you WANT to study rather than what's best for GEM. You want a good 2.1 or a 1st in your undergraduate degree to even apply to GEM. Also, a lot can change within the three years of studying and you might decide not to go into medicine.
    I do want to study dietetics since nutrition has always been what im interested in but I dont see myself working as a dietitian for the rest of my life. Do u think a 1st honour from dietetics would put me at a disadvantagr since med schools may see it as me not being fully committed to the profession?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jm562)
    I do want to study dietetics since nutrition has always been what im interested in but I dont see myself working as a dietitian for the rest of my life. Do u think a 1st honour from dietetics would put me at a disadvantagr since med schools may see it as me not being fully committed to the profession?
    Don't go down the GEM path is you can avoid it. What you're planning to do now is a waste of time and money. If you REALLY want to study medicine then work towards that and try to get in at undergraduate level.

Also, some medical schools accept any degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jm562)
    If you are seriously thinking about a career in Medicine then don't do another degree first. Take it from me as I made the wrong decision back in 2015.

You can give UK med school a go and there are other options in the likes of Czech for example. I even found out about a foundation programme if you chose the wrong A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jm562)
    A 1st is amazing and I think only Barts and the London will give you more points. A 1st can also lower the A level required to apply certain medicine programmes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.