Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Greetings everyone!

It's a pleasure to be here on the forum. I'm currently 31 and I work in the automotive industry within our family business. I'm currently considering applying to the Masters in Entrepreneurship degree at several UK and European universities. I'm considering a masters in entrepreneurship, rather than an MBA, for financial reasons. For example, an MBA at one of my target schools now costs GBP 50,000+, which is out of budget for me.

I contacted several of my target universities regarding the masters in entrepreneurship, and some of them expressed interest in my profile. However, I'm swamped with choices between several UK universities and other European ones as well. Anyway, here's the list:

UK:

UCL
    King's College London
    University of Manchester
    Cranfield School of Management
    University of Edinburgh

Europe:

University of Amsterdam
    Lund University in Sweden
    KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Sweden

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I'm having a hard time choosing which university to apply to, and would be a good fit for my profile. Any help regarding this?

My ultimate career goal is to return back to my country and start my own business or continue in our existing family business.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Just to clarify. What are your areas of interest in entrepreneurship: Innovation, tech management, commercialization, incubation, start up finance etc? Are you an engineer by training or management science? Look at programmes that offer support for entrepreneurship such as incubators, office facilities, VC fund, links to alumni and profs with track record.

It is an interesting list, how did you pick your shortlist. Manchester and Cranfield have solid business schools. Manchester promotes the Manchester Method as learning platform: group based project, experimental learning, case studies and consulting project. Manchester also has a research group for innovation policy (nano tech) and gets grants from national research org.

Cranfield teaches personal and professional development (writing a business plan, enter case studies competitions, leadership seminars, treks to firms) besides technical skills. There was a Financial Times business education article about Cranfield MBAs visit to a nearby formula 1 engineering firm.

UCL's business school is more recent compared to MBS and Cranfield. But UCL gets lots of traction and is gaining momentum.

King's is an odd choice as there are stronger MSc Entrepreneurship programmes. KCL's business school is mediocre. I would suggest Imperial or Warwick. Warwick has the Manufacturing Group. Incidentally both have stronger links to the automotive industry with regards to manufacturing and automation.

Good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.