The Student Room Group

International Law Applicants - 2018

Hi! I realised there was no international students thread dedicated to law applicants, so I made one! So maybe each of you could start by filling these in:

Course (because there are so many law-related courses):
Universities applied to:
IGCSEs (or equivalent):
AS Levels (or equivalent):
A2 Predicted (or equivalent):
Extra curricular activities:
LNAT/Entrance Test (if applicable):

Scroll to see replies

Yay finally an international applicant threat :biggrin:

Course (because there are so many law-related courses): M100 (just straight law)
Universities applied to: Oxford, LSE, UCL, KCL, QMUL
IGCSEs (or equivalent): 7A*s, 2As (not Oxford impressive I know)
AS Levels (or equivalent): N/A (IBDP)
A2 Predicted (or equivalent): HL: 776 (History, English Lang&Lit, Chem), SL: 777 (Bio, Maths, Chinese B), TOK: A, EE: A, 44/45
Extra curricular activities: Student council secretary, lead in school play last year, basketball team member, Yearbook Head of Journalism, Head Girl in Y10/11, 3 week attachment at local law firm etc.
LNAT/Entrance Test (if applicable): Took the LNAT on the 17th of Oct. Bombed it :smile:

Has anyone heard back from QMUL? I know some people have gotten responses but they're all home students. I was wondering if any international applicants have gotten it yet? I'm getting so anxious
Reply 2
Course (because there are so many law-related courses): Straight law! (M100)
Universities applied to: Oxford, LSE, KCL, Durham, Bristol
IGCSEs (or equivalent): I took GCE O Levels in Singapore - 5A1s, 2A2s, 2B3s
A2 Predicted (or equivalent): I'm taking IB and my predicted grade is 43 (776 at HL)
Extra curricular activities: Member of Student-enterprise (won an award during a competition and mentored others), tutored troubled students weekly, badminton team member, took part in a local Law Program and had a 1 week job shadowing/internship.
LNAT/Entrance Test (if applicable): Took it on 12th Oct!

Have any of you heard from LSE after the initial assessment round? I'm getting worried because a friend of mine who applied for PPE already has the '8 week email'.
Original post by ku.mamon
A2 Predicted (or equivalent): I'm taking IB and my predicted grade is 43 (776 at HL)
Extra curricular activities: Member of Student-enterprise (won an award during a competition and mentored others), tutored troubled students weekly, badminton team member, took part in a local Law Program and had a 1 week job shadowing/internship.

Have any of you heard from LSE after the initial assessment round? I'm getting worried because a friend of mine who applied for PPE already has the '8 week email'.

I got my 8 week email about a week ago! But don’t worry I’m sure you will get it soon :smile: out of curiosity when did you apply

OH my! Our stats are so similar!!!

Universities applied to: UCL, LSE, KCL, Bristol, Warwick
A2 Predicted (or equivalent): I'm taking IB and my predicted grade is 44/45 (777 at HL)
Extra curricular activities:
- Director of HR of a social entrepreneurship club in school
- Founder and President of a law club in school
- Member/ Training facilitator of school Basketball team
- 2 internships with law firms
LNAT/Entrance Test (if applicable): Took it on 19 Sept
Reply 5
Original post by infiinitee_
I got my 8 week email about a week ago! But don’t worry I’m sure you will get it soon :smile: out of curiosity when did you apply

hi! i sent my application on the 30th of sep :-) and got the initial assessment email on the 16th! how long after the initial assessment email did u get the 8 week email?
hi! i sent my application on the 30th of sep :-) and got the initial assessment email on the 16th! how long after the initial assessment email did u get the 8 week email?

I sent my application off on the 6th, got an acknowledgement on the 9th, initial assessment email on the 11th and the 8 week email on the 16th!
Reply 7
I sent my application off on the 6th, got an acknowledgement on the 9th, initial assessment email on the 11th and the 8 week email on the 16th!

oh wow yours is so much quicker!!
Reply 8
Realised I didn't do it myself :tongue:

Course (because there are so many law-related courses): M100, straight law
Universities applied to: Oxford, UCL, King's, Durham, Glasgow
IGCSEs (or equivalent): 5A* 2A (not up to the mark but we were also allowed only 7 subjects) + country topper for English
AS Levels (or equivalent): ABBB (messed up)
A2 Predicted (or equivalent): A*AAA + a for AS Level English I'm taking
Extra curricular activities: MUNs, debates, editor of school newsletter, community service, internship with a blog, and unrelated - theatre, and singing and dance competitions
LNAT/Entrance Test (if applicable): took it on the 17th of October, not too sure about the MCQ (one can never be) but the essay went well despite panicking!
Reply 9
Yay finally an international applicant threat :biggrin:

Course (because there are so many law-related courses): M100 (just straight law)
Universities applied to: Oxford, LSE, UCL, KCL, QMUL
IGCSEs (or equivalent): 7A*s, 2As (not Oxford impressive I know)
AS Levels (or equivalent): N/A (IBDP)
A2 Predicted (or equivalent): HL: 776 (History, English Lang&Lit, Chem), SL: 777 (Bio, Maths, Chinese B), TOK: A, EE: A, 44/45
Extra curricular activities: Student council secretary, lead in school play last year, basketball team member, Yearbook Head of Journalism, Head Girl in Y10/11, 3 week attachment at local law firm etc.
LNAT/Entrance Test (if applicable): Took the LNAT on the 17th of Oct. Bombed it :smile:

those are some fantastic IGCSEs, predicted scores and extra curricular activities! you definitely have a very competitive application. what happened with the LNAT?
Original post by budumbumtsh
those are some fantastic IGCSEs, predicted scores and extra curricular activities! you definitely have a very competitive application. what happened with the LNAT?

Thank you so much! Your application is also incredibly strong :smile: The LNATs was pretty rough for me in terms of MCQ. I really don't know how well I did but pretty sure I did bad so sighhh. The essay was pretty alright since I prepped for a death penalty question the night before and surprisingly it came out! How was your LNAT?
Thank you so much! Your application is also incredibly strong :smile: The LNATs was pretty rough for me in terms of MCQ. I really don't know how well I did but pretty sure I did bad so sighhh. The essay was pretty alright since I prepped for a death penalty question the night before and surprisingly it came out! How was your LNAT?

Thank you haha x
I for one didn't complete the MCQ, last few questions were quite rushed! And for the essay, I got a death penalty question too, but I chose one on free speech. I panicked quite a lot so I had about 30 minutes to actually give the whole thing a thought and write it out, but at least I finished that :/ But honestly, I'm quite sure you did well, it's just your anxiousness speaking! One never knows with the LNAT :3
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Anyone have an offer yet for Law?
Hey everyoneCountry: CanadaCourse M100Universities applied to: LSE, Oxford, Durham, Edinburgh, UCLA levels (Canadian Equivalent): 97 overall average (A* across the board... I think)Extra curricular activities: Academic Council, Harvard Model UN, Varsity Football, House Captain, OutreachLNAT/Entrance Test (if applicable): Took it on the 19th. Went well (I think lol)
Original post by CazAnya
Anyone have an offer yet for Law?

I got an offer for Law at QMUL on the 31st of October. I've heard some people have heard back from KCL (one of the school's I'm aiming for) and it's kind of worrying. Out of curiosity, where did you apply?
Reply 15
I got an offer for Law at QMUL on the 31st of October. I've heard some people have heard back from KCL (one of the school's I'm aiming for) and it's kind of worrying. Out of curiosity, where did you apply?

Not yet applied but will do in the next couple of weeks....LNAT next Weds for Durham, KCL, Bristol...others are Birmingham and Sussex as safety. Teachers give predicted grades end of next week for AP's, so just waiting for those.
Course (because there are so many law-related courses): Straight Law M100
Universities applied to: Oxford, Durham, UCL, Warwick, Nottingham
IGCSEs (or equivalent): n/a
IB grades: 44/45 777HL
Extra curricular activities: Head of Law Society, Chinese Debate Team captain, English debater, Chairperson of Scholarship Students Society, Founder of school student welfare group, leader of poetry event...
LNAT/Entrance Test (if applicable): Done on 20th October

Worried because I haven't heard from the schools yet (except acknowledgement for application).
Reply 17

what was your offer if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by CazAnya
what was your offer if you don't mind me asking?

I take the IB Diploma so it was 37 with 18 at HL :smile:
Reply 19
Hello, guys! So glad to see this thread, aah x

Course (because there are so many law-related courses): Straight law; M100
Universities applied to: Oxford, UCL, Kings, LSE, QMUL
IGCSEs (or equivalent): 7A*
AS Levels (or equivalent): 4A*A
A2 Predicted (or equivalent): 5A*
Extracurricular activities: MUNs (not too actively), debating, editor for school newspaper, published author, few blogs, community service and unrelated - competitive dancer, national level sportswoman
LNAT/Entrance Test (if applicable): took it on the 3rd of October, MCQ was pretty decent, messed up the essay- couldn't complete my conclusion 😭

Quick Reply

Latest