Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

STRUGGLING to get maintenance despite having worked in the UK. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi i am current EU full time student having worked in the uk for 4+ years i don't qualify for maintenance as a home student at the moment. I will be completing my 5 years residency period in this month in order to qualify for maintenance. Can i apply as a home student after i complete my 5 years of residency in this month? although the deadline is 9 months after the start of my year of the academic course?

It is practically impossible for any student who is or has been working here to think doing uni without Maintenance.
    This makes me sad as i barely have any choices left?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi deep93,

To be eligible for applying as a home student you would have had to have been living in the UK for the five years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course. Since you are a continuing student you wouldn't be eligible for this.

You could however look to applying for home funding as a Migrant Worker if you are working throughout your studies and earning a sufficient amount for us to deem that you are financially able to support yourself.

If you want to apply for this you would need to send in a PN1 application form for the relevant year you wish to apply for this. You can get the forms by clicking here. You would also need to send in the following:-

• Your original Passport or National ID Card
    • A copy of your contract of employment that accurately represents your contracted hours and pay. We would also need a letter from your employer confirming the contract accurately represents the hours and terms of which you work if this is not confirmed on your contract of employment or if you are on a zero hour contract. This letter needs to be signed by a member of the Human Resources Department or your Manager.
    • Last 3 months payslips (if available)
    • Most recent P60 (if available)
    • Termly evidence

The form and evidence would need to be sent to the following address:-

Migrant Worker Team
    Student Finance England
    PO Box 89
    Darlington
    DL1 9AZ

Thanks

Laura

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura S SFE)
    Hi deep93,

To be eligible for applying as a home student you would have had to have been living in the UK for the five years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course. Since you are a continuing student you wouldn't be eligible for this.

You could however look to applying for home funding as a Migrant Worker if you are working throughout your studies and earning a sufficient amount for us to deem that you are financially able to support yourself.

If you want to apply for this you would need to send in a PN1 application form for the relevant year you wish to apply for this. You can get the forms by clicking here. You would also need to send in the following:-

• Your original Passport or National ID Card
    • A copy of your contract of employment that accurately represents your contracted hours and pay. We would also need a letter from your employer confirming the contract accurately represents the hours and terms of which you work if this is not confirmed on your contract of employment or if you are on a zero hour contract. This letter needs to be signed by a member of the Human Resources Department or your Manager.
    • Last 3 months payslips (if available)
    • Most recent P60 (if available)
    • Termly evidence

The form and evidence would need to be sent to the following address:-

Migrant Worker Team
    Student Finance England
    PO Box 89
    Darlington
    DL1 9AZ

Thanks

Laura
    Thanks Laura

I am working as a Christmas temp at the moment which is the only part time option i can see. But apart from that i am continuously on the lookout for a job at the moment. Can i still apply now?

OR

Can i apply through my father as he is an EU migrant worker too. I have turned 25 after the 1st day of my course. My father is working full time and also willing to offer me though some financial help now due to my part time work. Since i was not in full time education before starting full time uni, i was working full time prior to university studies and so was able to support myself. But now since i am now attending full time studies i had to give up on the full time job and opt for a part time job and so is the reason to apply for a maintenance loan. What could be my options? could you please explain? it is very hard to judge my situation right now and on top of that it is acceptable or not.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deep93)
    Thanks Laura

I am working as a Christmas temp at the moment which is the only part time option i can see. But apart from that i am continuously on the lookout for a job at the moment. Can i still apply now?

OR

Can i apply through my father as he is an EU migrant worker too. I have turned 25 after the 1st day of my course. My father is working full time and also willing to offer me though some financial help now due to my part time work. Since i was not in full time education before starting full time uni, i was working full time prior to university studies and so was able to support myself. But now since i am now attending full time studies i had to give up on the full time job and opt for a part time job and so is the reason to apply for a maintenance loan. What could be my options? could you please explain? it is very hard to judge my situation right now and on top of that it is acceptable or not.

Hi deep93,

You would be best to apply under your right as you are over 21 you would need to supply evidence on how you are dependent on your father. If you send in all the evidence you have with regards to your employment we can have a look to see if you are eligible as a Migrant Worker.

Thanks

Erin

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.