Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey, so i am applying to study mathematics and philosophy at most of the universities im applying for aside from St Andrews where i am applying for just philosophy. my personal statement is heavy on maths and i dont know whether or not i can send a philosophy specific personal statement or whether my joint one would suffice? i am just worried they'll recieve it and be like ??? why is she applying for just philosophy when she has so much emphasis on maths within her personal statement too??? thank you

ReputationRep:
    It is always a difficult think when applying for joint courses, I think a maths heavy PS being submitted for Philosophy may be a little bit stretched. You could perhaps try to even it out as you are applying for Maths & Philosophy at most places and so it shouldn’t hurt you if you lay off the maths a bit (if you were applying for just a maths course then it would be a different story). I would try to even it out if you can 😊

ReputationRep:
    I applied for a mixture of courses with the same personal statement
    (International Business and German/Economics and German/German on its own) and was ok... got 5 offers#

However, they're all pretty similar and I linked it together quite well. I'm not sure about a PS that's heavy on Maths for a Philosophy course though. That might come across a bit odd.

ReputationRep:
    Write the personal statement for the course you want to do most and then write a separate letter directly to Director of Admissions for the other courses that explains (a) why you want to study their course and (b) how this fits with the fact your personal statement is clearly not directed at them. I wouldn't try to split a single personal statement across two different subjects, particularly if you are applying to competitive institutions.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.