The Student Room Group

Attempt at passing A-Levels

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
First day back today which means yesterday was spent doing a tonne of last minute homework and today was spent wondering what in the world was going on 😂
The day started with double chemistry which was fuelled by coffee and gossip although we were meant to be studying alkenes... Then I had nothing to do and no lessons so we decided to go shopping which then led to me getting my sternum pierced with was slightly terrifying when I realised that the staple bar somehow had to get inside me but it actually hurt a lot less than I expected. Finally I had physics when we learnt about the De Broglie wavelength which I surprisingly understood and managed to do the maths for which was a miracle. After some more shopping and a hot chocolate, I’m setting in to do some chemistry homework on recycling...such fun!
Reply 61
Friday
With all hopes to get everything done today absolutely ruined, I feel there’s a long weekend of homework ahead. My plan for 2018 was to use all my free periods wisely and to hopefully reduce the stress of having to do it in the evening or weekends, leaving that time free for work or just to relax. So far I would like to say this has gone well except for today that is... of the 7 hours I had at school when I could’ve done my homework, I spent one hour in the library furiously cramming notes.

Weekend
It feels like I’ve done so much work this weekend although nothing comes to mind, despite this I have still covered nearly everything on my to do list. Saturday was spent finishing my chemistry homework, writing more biology notes and reorganising all of my notes as I had a pretty massive stack of random papers that had accumulated on my desk over the last term-before I had to go to work and today was spent catching up on my extended project work as I didn’t quite do as much as I wanted over Christmas but I’m now nearly all up to date and on target for finished my research at the start of February. I also made some chemistry notes to refresh myself on module 2.1(atoms and isotopes). Now it’s time to target set for tomorrow- I don’t have any free periods but I have an hour after school when I can go to the library and I’m planning on getting some more EPQ research done then. For anyone wondering I’m doing my extended project on to what extend badgers are responsible for the bTB outbreaks in the early 21st century, if anyone else is doing it then comment your topic 😊👍🏼
Original post by colivia12
Friday
With all hopes to get everything done today absolutely ruined, I feel there’s a long weekend of homework ahead. My plan for 2018 was to use all my free periods wisely and to hopefully reduce the stress of having to do it in the evening or weekends, leaving that time free for work or just to relax. So far I would like to say this has gone well except for today that is... of the 7 hours I had at school when I could’ve done my homework, I spent one hour in the library furiously cramming notes.

Weekend
It feels like I’ve done so much work this weekend although nothing comes to mind, despite this I have still covered nearly everything on my to do list. Saturday was spent finishing my chemistry homework, writing more biology notes and reorganising all of my notes as I had a pretty massive stack of random papers that had accumulated on my desk over the last term-before I had to go to work and today was spent catching up on my extended project work as I didn’t quite do as much as I wanted over Christmas but I’m now nearly all up to date and on target for finished my research at the start of February. I also made some chemistry notes to refresh myself on module 2.1(atoms and isotopes). Now it’s time to target set for tomorrow- I don’t have any free periods but I have an hour after school when I can go to the library and I’m planning on getting some more EPQ research done then. For anyone wondering I’m doing my extended project on to what extend badgers are responsible for the bTB outbreaks in the early 21st century, if anyone else is doing it then comment your topic 😊👍🏼

I go back to sixth form on Tuesday but managed to get all my school work organised so there is no need anymore :smile: I'm doing an EPQ on how do antibiotics affect the rate at which mastitis occurs in dairy cattle.
Reply 63
Original post by OrangeArcher
I go back to sixth form on Tuesday but managed to get all my school work organised so there is no need anymore :smile: I'm doing an EPQ on how do antibiotics affect the rate at which mastitis occurs in dairy cattle.

Lucky! I went back last Wednesday ☹️ how are you finding it?
Lucky! I went back last Wednesday ☹️ how are you finding it?

I bet you didn't have to stay in school to the 22nd though :smile: I'm finding it okay, I wanted to get my first draft of EPQ done this holidays but I was ill the first week and have crammed work the second week so I'm still stuck at just over 1000 words.
Reply 65
I bet you didn't have to stay in school to the 22nd though :smile: I'm finding it okay, I wanted to get my first draft of EPQ done this holidays but I was ill the first week and have crammed work the second week so I'm still stuck at just over 1000 words.

Luckily I didn’t, my last day was the 15th😊 that’s still pretty good though, I wanted to start writing mine much earlier on but my EP tutor wants us all to spend more time researching as it makes the dissertation so much easier to write but hopefully I’ll still have a draft at the start of February.
Luckily I didn’t, my last day was the 15th😊 that’s still pretty good though, I wanted to start writing mine much earlier on but my EP tutor wants us all to spend more time researching as it makes the dissertation so much easier to write but hopefully I’ll still have a draft at the start of February.

My tutor wanted us to do our research but start writing it up as soon as possible as he didn't want us to get a ton of research and not want to write the dissertation (I still have a lot of research). We have to get ours finished by the end of Feb half term, is that the same for you?
Reply 67
My tutor wanted us to do our research but start writing it up as soon as possible as he didn't want us to get a ton of research and not want to write the dissertation (I still have a lot of research). We have to get ours finished by the end of Feb half term, is that the same for you?

No we don’t have to finish until July but we have weekly meetings with our tutors so I guess if he thinks we aren’t likely to get anything written in time then he’ll just tell us to start writing even if we haven’t collected all of our research.
No we don’t have to finish until July but we have weekly meetings with our tutors so I guess if he thinks we aren’t likely to get anything written in time then he’ll just tell us to start writing even if we haven’t collected all of our research.

We've been set an early deadline to get it out of the way before exam season
Reply 69
We've been set an early deadline to get it out of the way before exam season

That’s good although I don’t have any exams this year except practice ones so that’s not an issue for me
Hiii! Been reading your posts and loved it! I've never made a mindmap before and would really like to try it out, can you please give me tips on how to make one? Thank you
Reply 71
I’m really sorry about the fact that I’m really bad at updating this, I would love to say that it’s because I spent all my time working and being productive but honestly... Netflix. Fortunately yesterday I managed to get my physics notes done last night so that means I have all day tomorrow to get everything else on my to do list done although that does mean spending all day in close proximity of Netflix. So how’s the New Years resolution of using my free periods productively going? Well... today I went to whetherspoons in my free periods and that’s a pretty accurate summary of how they’ve gone. So today started with double biology and I’d already written the notes for it so I started by writing next lessons notes and then I finished my homework for my other biology teacher. I had physics last and we made notes about laminar flow, turbulence and streamlines.

So I like to keep my notes neat and pretty so that when I come to revise it’s a lot easier. My top tips on keeping your notes near and pretty are;
1. rewrite them after lessons if you need to
2. Use colour!
3. Use bubbles to separate information
4. Make your titles look pretty but switching up the handwriting
5. Use cute little banners to write subtitles

Hope this helps you keep your notes looking cute😊
I’m really sorry about the fact that I’m really bad at updating this, I would love to say that it’s because I spent all my time working and being productive but honestly... Netflix. Fortunately yesterday I managed to get my physics notes done last night so that means I have all day tomorrow to get everything else on my to do list done although that does mean spending all day in close proximity of Netflix. So how’s the New Years resolution of using my free periods productively going? Well... today I went to whetherspoons in my free periods and that’s a pretty accurate summary of how they’ve gone. So today started with double biology and I’d already written the notes for it so I started by writing next lessons notes and then I finished my homework for my other biology teacher. I had physics last and we made notes about laminar flow, turbulence and streamlines.

So I like to keep my notes neat and pretty so that when I come to revise it’s a lot easier. My top tips on keeping your notes near and pretty are;
1. rewrite them after lessons if you need to
2. Use colour!
3. Use bubbles to separate information
4. Make your titles look pretty but switching up the handwriting
5. Use cute little banners to write subtitles

Hope this helps you keep your notes looking cute😊

Hi, are you thinking of applying to a Sutton trust summer school for vet med this summer?
Reply 73
Hi, are you thinking of applying to a Sutton trust summer school for vet med this summer?

No, I’m going to south east Asia for 3 weeks and Sri Lanka for a week and then I’m going to get work experience for the rest, you?
No, I’m going to south east Asia for 3 weeks and Sri Lanka for a week and then I’m going to get work experience for the rest, you?

I've sent in an application for RVC and then have work experience organised for the rest of the holiday.
Reply 75
I’ve just finished tidying my desk and organising my pens into colours- I used blue for physics, yellow for chemistry and green for biology. This may seem productive but it’s a hopeless attempt at trying to feel like I’m on top of my work and that I’m organised, reply of you do the same👍🏼

Today I had the day off school and so naturally I settled down in front of Netflix, after a while I brought out my iPad and sat doing quizlet. After about an hour of key vocab, I wrote up a chemistry pag from before Christmas. I then started making notes on Huygens’ construction of waves and then some about catalase. I then went on to trying to catch up on EP and I somehow managed to get quite a lot done.

I’m now cleaning out the cupboard under the stairs- another form of procrastination.
I’ve just finished tidying my desk and organising my pens into colours- I used blue for physics, yellow for chemistry and green for biology. This may seem productive but it’s a hopeless attempt at trying to feel like I’m on top of my work and that I’m organised, reply of you do the same👍🏼

Today I had the day off school and so naturally I settled down in front of Netflix, after a while I brought out my iPad and sat doing quizlet. After about an hour of key vocab, I wrote up a chemistry pag from before Christmas. I then started making notes on Huygens’ construction of waves and then some about catalase. I then went on to trying to catch up on EP and I somehow managed to get quite a lot done.

I’m now cleaning out the cupboard under the stairs- another form of procrastination.

I use different colour folders for my subjects (one box file and two lever arch for each subject). I used light green for biology, purple for chemistry, dark blue for maths and light blue/turquoise for further maths.
Reply 77
Yesterday I started the day by doing my chemistry homework on enthalpy then I had supervised study so I went over some gcse physics and planned the tutoring for year 10s. After break I had double chemistry where we carried on doing enthalpy profile diagrams and then last I had biology in which we did fish dissections which was pretty fun and then I stayed on after school and did my physics homework on the gold leaf electroscope and some biology questions about gas exchange.

Today I have double chemistry to start and then 2 free periods so I’m planning on going to the library to do some EP and emailing some vets to confirm my placements. Then period 5 I have physics.
Reply 78
I feel like I’ve been really productive today, in double chemistry we were revising for our test on Monday. During my free periods I emailed some work experience placements and updated my cv. I then did my biology homework on gaseous exchange. I had physics period 5 where we did some an experiment to show flow of charge and then did some practice questions on drift velocity.
Today is also the starting point of our new marine biology club and I have contacted the marine biological association about volunteering on the marine biologist for a day events. I have also just collected 6 tanks that have been donated by Plymouth University so hopefully we will soon have some tadpoles, watersnails and giant African land snails in our labs- does your school have any pets?
Reply 79
Original post by pat2cornelia
Hiii! Been reading your posts and loved it! I've never made a mindmap before and would really like to try it out, can you please give me tips on how to make one? Thank you

I normally break it down into modules and then put the module title in a bubble in the middle and then I start by breaking the module down into sections( if you’re not sure then use the pages of your text book) and doing arrows off the title to them. Then I write important information from each section around it for example the equations you need. Hope this helps 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending